“Maranatha House - A Home From Home!”
Review of Maranatha House

Maranatha House
Ranked #8 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I have just returned from a trip to Belfast with some friends. I must say that it was a fabulous trip, which was topped off with the great accommodation at Maranatha House. We arrived tired and a little exhausted from our trip. We were greeted with such warmth from Kelly. It was such a refreshing start to our trip. She continued to be helpful and hospitable throughout our whole trip.

We arrived by car and found the guesthouse with ease. There was ample parking and Dennis was more than happy to help us with taxi’s over the weekend. The guest house was in a great location to access Belfast city centre. We walked during the day and got a taxi at night. There are also some great little restaurants in the local area where we had lunch one day. We found it very easy to get on to the motorway as we were continuing our trip North.

I was delighted when we entered our rooms- I couldn’t believe the high standard they were finished to - I have been in my fair share of guesthouses during my travels and I was impressed! The facilities that were on offer in the room ranged from tea & coffee and free wifi to a flat screen TV. However for me the most important thing is cleanliness! It was spotless I am glad to report!

I am someone who doesn’t like to skip breakfast, so I am always first down. I was not disappointed. There is a great selection of cooked and uncooked breakfasts. I took advantage of being away on holiday and went for the full breakfast. It was perfect. After that I knew I would definitely recommended Maranatha House to my friends! It had ticked all the boxes for me great location, high standard rooms, great breakfast and finally what topped it all off the friendliness and kindness shown by it’s owners Kelly and Dennis -nothing was ever too much hassel!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Maranatha House

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Positive aspect : The clean room, the clean bathroom. The breakfast.

But :
we are used to going to b&b or guest houses. We usually enjoy their cosiness, the personality of the hostess and the "cachet" of the house/ each room. Maranatha house did not satisfy us with this aspects. We wished the room was a little bit bigger and less "anonymous-hotel like".
In addition, we were bothered by other guests speaking late in front of their bedroom, we could clearly hear the guest next door even when they'd turn on their light. we could hear a lot of noise from the other rooms and we could not sleep well.
Compared to other b&b/guest houses we went to, the value for money was overpriced to our point of view. We will not return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
dbree254, Owner at Maranatha House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Thanks for your feedback. We enjoyed meeting you and are very disappointed you did not enjoy your stay. Comments left in our guest book and our impressions on your departure were quite the contrary to this review, which made it a bit of a shock. I can only apologise if you felt the room was small, our smallest room is 12 ft H x 16ft W x 17ft L, but with lots of luggage it can seem smaller that that. I also regret the noise you experienced during your stay. We ask all guests to have consideration for others when they return to their rooms but as you can imagine it’s nearly impossible to police this. Our prices range from £25-35 pp including breakfast and parking. We hope to be competitive on these prices as we are minutes walk from the city centre, but I gladly take your comments onboard.
We are always disappointed with reviews like this and look to implement all constructive suggested feedback.
Many thanks,
Maranatha House

Reviewed 26 May 2012

We were very happy with our stay. Our room was large and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and provided great directions to the ferry terminal so that we could continue our trip!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Having read some good reviews about Maranatha House, we booked two nights here while on our recent trip to Ireland. We were somewhat disappointed with our stay, and felt compelled to post a review.

We received a rather frosty reception from the host when we arrived – apparently we’d interrupted something much more important than paying guests arriving. His attitude didn’t change by the second night, when we arrived back at the B&B to find a rather large rental van had parked badly and taken up more than two parking spaces, leaving us nowhere to park our car. When I finally managed to find the host, he was visibly irritated that I’d bothered him, and told me that he didn’t know who the van belonged to (and presumably didn’t care!) and to just park our car behind his car – effectively parking all the other cars in! He walked away before I could point out that other people might need to move their cars, but since it was cold and getting late, we just did what he suggested. Luckily we left early the next morning before any of the other guests needed to get out.

The room itself was massive, but the bathroom had seen better days and it appeared that someone had tried to do a few DIY repair jobs in there without much success. The floor in the bathroom was filthy, covered in hairs and dirt. A quick vaccuum between guests wouldn't have gone astray.

We had heard good things about the breakfasts here, and the menu certainly looked impressive. But we were disappointed on both mornings to receive rubbery, microwaved “poached” eggs, cold toast and very smelly salmon. Not to mention the grumpy lady who served us – we were there two days in a row and didn’t see her smile once.

It was a place to sleep at the end of the day, but we wouldn’t stay here again.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SSandCJ
dbree254, Owner at Maranatha House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear Guest,

I am the owner of Maranatha House and I am obviously very disappointed
to hear about your experience with us. We work really hard to make
sure that every guest thoroughly enjoys their stay.

I can only apologise if you found the host rude - this was a part
time member of staff and I will be taking up this matter with him
directly.

I am surprised to hear about the condition of the room as most of the
rooms have been renovated recently and are valeted by an experienced
team every morning and then inspected by myself or my wife. If we did
miss anything and the room was not up to your expectations then I
would of hoped that you would of felt comfortable notifiying me immediately so I could either address the problem or move you to another room.

We are very proud of our breakfasts and they are known amongst our
regulars as one of the highlights of their stay. All our produce is
sourced locally and prepared with the utmost care - our breakfast chef
has been preparing our breakfasts for over 7 years with consistency
and attention. I am sorry that this was not up to your expectations.

I can only apologise again and this review has been distributed to all
staff. We would like to offer you a complimentary stay on your next visit by
way of hoping to redress your opinion on a stay with Maranatha House.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed at Maranatha Guest House for three nights during a recent visit to Belfast. It is a lovely B&B. The rooms are large, comfortable and extremely quiet. We had a family in the adjoining room and never heard them. The parlor provides a beautiful room in which to relax and read. If you happent to be in Belfast for work (as I was) the wireless internet works great, also. The breakfast is fabulous, with wonderful french press coffee -- a highlight for me. This B&B is located right across the street from beautiful Ormeau park and a lovely 20 minute walk to Belfast City Center. All in all, great lodging. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bike-tripper
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Me and my partner booked in for just one nights b&b, We had a lovely stay, clean comfortable and the staff were really friendly and welcoming. The breakfast was superb, cook fresh and great service. we dont normally stay in a b&b, but because all the hotels in belfast were booked out that weekend we had no other choice. I was glad we didnt have a choice thou, because we had such a lovely stay and would recommend this guesthouse to anyone, it faces onto a lovely park that would be nice to go for a stroll in the summer. very quiet and calm. Would definately stay here again.

James and Amanda

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank amanda f
Reviewed 9 April 2012

A lovely stay. Rooms were clean, modern and comfortable. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and were flexible with our various requests. The breakfast was outstanding. Generous portions and more food than you can eat!
Overall, thoroughly recommended.