“disappointing breakfast”

Ranked #6 of 48 Belfast B&B and Inns
cheshire
“disappointing breakfast”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is not a "boutique" hotel, but the rooms are clean, comfortable and well equipped, and its location with welcome off-street parking is convenient for a visit to Belfast. But it really shouldn't be claiming to have the best breakfast in the city with an "extensive" buffet. The reality is quite different, as it actually offers a rather disappointing breakfast: the buffet was boring and minimal and we were served hard poached eggs and the worst coffee imaginable. I wouldn't have minded all this so much, had they not tried to make the breakfast a particular selling-point.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My mother, daughter and I spent one night at Marantha House when passing through Belfast. We had gone with reviews and descriptions online and admittedly were a bit disappointed. The hotel was quaint but certainly not what I would consider luxury. Our triple room was quite large and certainly clean but a bit dated. The breakfast was good. Overall, I think I felt that it didn't justify the price. We stayed in a number of different B&Bs throughout Ireland and felt like we had better bang for our buck elsewhere. In fairness, we arrived mid-afternoon and left the next morning. It was rainy and misty the whole time so a bit gray. It felt bothersome to have to keep ringing the front desk bell once we arrived to ask questions about getting around and dinner ideas. Feeling like it was overpriced to begin, it was also frustrating to see that an extra 3% would be added to the bill if we chose to pay by credit card. While it was clean and the breakfast was good, I would probably try somewhere else next time I am in Belfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Marion offers top class hospitality in this 5 star accommodation and her breakfast is hard to beat. Free wifi didn't work so good. Beds are super comfortable! Rooms are to hotel standards! The bathrooms have shampoo and shower gel. Rooms have great beds, tea, coffee, biscuits, water. Floors can be creaky bit that is expected from a house. I left toiletries behind and they were there when I returned. Thank you Marion :)

• Stayed June 2014
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was my second stay and the first for my wife. It came up to her expectations after I told her how much I had enjoyed my first visit. Once again the room was very well equipped (including ironing board, iron and hair dryer) as well as the usual tea/coffee making facilities. The breakfast was excellent. On the second morning I chose what I thought would be a slightly smaller option (roasted cheese over a fried egg on toast) however it was a huge portion, as was another option on our last morning. The porridge was very tasty and the orange juice was the real thing! One very helpful feature was a laptop and printer set up in the lounge. Friends needed boarding passes printed, and since I couldn't print from my iPad Marion very kindly offered to help me print them off on the printer. If we're back in Belfast we'll be heading for the Maranatha!

Room Tip: My first stay was in room 4, at the front of the house, which overlooks the park, also it's the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My single room was clean and well equipped with a hair drier, iron and ironing boards plus quite large television and tea and coffee making facilities. The wet room was large with a good shower. Breakfast was delicious and cooked to order. The house is within walking distance of the city centre. A welcoming house with large visitors' sitting room.

Room Tip: Downstairs room were a little noisy due to the heavy front door and fire doors being opened and clos...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Littleborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights at this very comfortable B&B: once on the way out and once on the way back. The room, beds and bathroom were top quality. The breakfast was fresh and well cooked. But most of all the manager Marion was very very helpful and obliging. She helped store our pedal bikes in the secure back yard and, because I had injured my hand in a cycling accident, she even moved my bike for me and found a local taxi to take the bike and me to the ferry terminal. I would highly recommend this B&B.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Francisthecyclist
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Could not fault our stay at the Maranatha house everything was spot on.
Marianne and her team provided a really good service and shouild be congratulated on their care and attention it made our stay a really enjoyable one.
Well DONE.