“Good - As you would expect from a Four Star Hotel”

La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
London
“Good - As you would expect from a Four Star Hotel”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

From start to finish we got what we expected: friendly efficient staff, nice room with flat screen TV, coffee etc. Comfortable bed. Good breakfast. The dinner at the event I was attending was excellent. The hotel is set in nice peaceful grounds. We didn't use the pool and health rooms, but they looked good.

The only thing that surprised me was that rooms are not ready until 4pm (but they is probably because they allow late check-outs). They looked after my case while I had lunch and my case was in my room which was ready at 2:30.

I would certainly recommend La Mon for functions and business events; lots of meeting rooms and space.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SimonX09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
northern ireland
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed here as guests at a wedding. We hada family room on 2 nd floor. Room good size comfortable bed plenty pillows. Flat screen tv trouser press tea coffee facilites iron ironing board.bathroom again good size and plenty of toiletries .overall room was clean and warm. My sons used the swimming pool steam room etc .we could have used the gym but just didnt have time. We found all the staff to be helpful and friendly. As guests at thewedding we found the food to be excellent as were the drinks laid on arrival cocktails for the ladies and corona for the men. Breakfast was self serve it wasn't the bigest choice but all the usual fried items. The crossiants would have been nicer slighty heated. Overall we would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Hotel has smokers rooms which have a balcony
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jensim7
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed one night during Easter weekend. Room was large however WiFi was very very weak in the room and could not use it. Reception staff friendly and breakfast was nice however I feel that the management and in particular Angela could be more accommodating. My son was at a football tournament staying in Uni accommodation. There was a problem with towels therefore I asked the reception could I buy a used towel to give him. This was because I am sure you know new towels do not dry and need a wash first. Some people may have 'taken' a towel from the hotel but I wanted to be honest and up front. However Angela was very dismissive and said 'we have no way of allowing this to happen' Really after paying £90 for one night you could not let me pay for one bath towel! I did not appreciate the tone that was used either as I felt I was being talked down to. I will not be staying here again next year.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paisley Pattern
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We recently stayed for a long weekend break at la mon. On arrival we were met and welcomed at the guest car park by a very efficient concierge who took charge of all our luggage and escorted us to reception. There we were checked in promptly and given information about all the hotel facilities. We were then taken to our room by the concierge who showed us where everything was (bistro bar, restaurant, country club etc). Our room was very clean and had all we needed. Later we had to call upon the services of the concierge again when we couldn't get the room safe and TV to work. Within minutes he had both working perfectly! The kids were delighted with their kids pack that was waiting for them in the room and we're even more happy when our 'saviour', Derek the concierge came to our rescue and provided more balloons when the first ones drifted off into the wild blue yonder. Thanks again to the staff for making this a memorable stay. Will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michael C
Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

As overseas travellers we have stayed in a variety of hotels across Ireland and this was probably the most disappointing . Albeit the staff in general are friendly but the standard overall is not in keeping with other 4 star properties . The buffet breakfast was very basic and plastic table cloths do not add anything to the standard. It does appear it is more a young family resort than a country club so if you are into kids running around till 11pm and not worried about noise then this is your place. We did book an executive room and thought it was not good value.

Room Tip: Really good for families not so good for tourists.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wearytravla
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Have just returned after a lovely stay at La Mon over easter. It was very relaxing and it is clear the hotel has been making good improvements in recent years since we last visited.

The food in the bar/bistro area was a big improvement on the previous menu, less dominated by stodgy greasy pub food and a better range of healthier options including a fantastic fish pie. In general the the food quality was more in keeping of a 4star hotel although some dishes we had during our stay were less memorable. The new internet WIFI system they recently installed is very impressive and it is complimentary too which is great and when hotels charge for this it is a big turn off for me.

In general the staff were exceptionally friendly and welcoming particularly the reception staff, leisure club staff and morning breakfast staff although you did get the feeling some staff in the evening time in the bar just wanted to get home and during our stay the waitress closed the bar at 10.20pm on a Thursday night which seemed bizarre.

From a family perspective they have made good progress and do put good effort in for the kids with a great bouncy castle and films in the evening and the staff looking after the kids do engage well. (although I think this is just for school holiday periods)

It could be improved perhaps by adding in a fun kids water hour (still supervised by their parents), or offering kids swimming lessons which some other hotels do for guests. An outside playground even out of sight at the rear would be a great addition to keep the kids amused. Also, utilising the great country side location for nature trail activities for the kids could take a little thought but add a different dimension to their kids programme.
All in all we had a great stay and the kids really enjoyed themselves and we will be returning next year and will continue to highly recommend the hotel as the perfect location for a vacation away to explore Belfast and beyond.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steven H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed at La Mon for a family celebration. The accommodation was excellent although the rooms perhaps lack the characters for those preferring traditional or period properties. However they are contemporary, accessible and spacious. The staff were friendly. The breakfast was one of the best I have enjoyed at any hotel and varied enough to accommodate most tastes. I also made use of the pool and gym which was a delightful extra. However what impressed me most was the afternoon tea which we arranged for about 20 guests. I have been to a number of these teas at various hotels across the UK but this was definitely the best I have enjoyed. The staff were attentive and made sure drinks were replenished without delay. The variety and quality of the sandwiches, pastries and cakes was unforgettable and I heard a number of our guests comment on this.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family