“Brilliant”

Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
N.I
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for my cousins wedding and I couldn't fault it at all I booked a standard room online with breakfast included for £69 which I think is pretty good. When I got to the hotel I was able to check in earlier than I was told which was good the room was better than I thought it had everything that I needed including a spare double bed so I was happy with that. They also have a residents bar which means if you are staying over you can goto reception at anytime during the night and they will get you any drinks that you want so you can drink all night if you want and the staff are really nice about you staying in the bar all night there was a group of us that stayed up till 5am and they said nothing to us. The only problem that I had with them is getting the hotel on the phone when I was booking to ask them some questions it took me 2 days to get through to someone on the phone so I was unhappy about that and the customer advisor was quite rude on the phone but other than that it was a decent stay for the price. We had 2 barmen call Jordan and George who treated us really well and where very polite so I hope this review helps you decide to stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank matty003

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Belfast
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on the 3rd August 2014.
The wedding started at 1pm and the recptionest kindly let us leave our bags there until ur room was ready. She was super friendly! The wedding manager that was in charge of the wedding speeches was great!! The venue for the wedding was great!

Over all the best wedding I have been to!

This hotel is fantastic our room was big and clean the bed was super comfy. The room tempeture was perfect! Witch is very unusual in hotels.

The young boy at the bar of the wedding was really friendly even had a bit off banter!

Now at the evening part of the wedding we asked a young girl 4 times of we could move two tables together and 4 times she brushed us of this was rude as there was 20+ sitting round one table!

At the end of the night we got moved bars as it was late on, the young guy was finished work and waiting on a lift but yet still served us witch was great showed he enjoyed his job!

Breakfast was a buffet style (to witch I hate) but this hotel proved me wrong it was so fresh and we where late down so thought it would of been sitting for a while; hard eggs ect but the eggs where perfect (no hotel gets a thumbs up from me for eggs) but they did!!

We got seatted straight away, got asked if we wanted tea or coffee we got coffee it was terrible coffee for a a 4* hotel
but fantastic service and food was super fresh every thing cooked perfect. I am a nit-picker at hotels LOL but I honestly couldn't fault this at all!!
Other than the staff member in the wedding hall ( long hair in a pony tail) and the coffee!!

Stayed August 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had a lovely nights stay here with my fiance. Couldn't fault the hotel at all. The staff were very friendly from the moment we arrived at the reception until check out the next day. The room we got was amazing, really clean and probably one of the nicest rooms i've ever stayed in. We had our dinner in the bistro and again I couldnt fault it, the service was great and the food was lovely, def 10/10! Breakfast the next day was also great, so much selection and the staff couldnt be more helpful. We loved the hotel so much that we've booked our wedding here, can't wait to have our special day in La Mon :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The physical facilities must be what got La Mon its 4 stars, because the service is decidedly 2 star at best. This was not a good experience. I apologise in advance for a long review but, where each item below, taken in isolation, would not have mattered, together they form a litany of poor service - and in my opinion that is a failing by management.

We stayed as part of a tour group. Our room was satisfactory, with a few exceptions (see later). Tea and coffee kit was provided.

Our group was separated from the other hotel guests during meals - we were put in a fairly bleak and characterless functions room. The food was generally okay, as far as it went. I could not shake the feeling that we were considered second class guests.

Problems started on day 1 when I registered my credit card to open a room tab. It seemed to be fine until, 30 minutes later, I tried to pay for drinks on my tab, and was told no card was registered. Back at the front desk the lady who had registered my card seemed to have no recollection of having fun done so, and seemed faintly annoyed when I told her that she had registered it - the front had not been particularly busy. Reregistering it worked, though.

There were not enough hangers in the wardrobe, so I asked if more could be provided. They were promised for the following day, which would have been fine. When we returned to our room the following evening (day 2), there were no extra hangers, so I nipped down to Reception to enquire, and was told that Housekeeping might not have enough to give us a few more (4-star hotel, not enough hangers?).

While I was there, I mentioned the the bath was not draining as it should - we were standing in 2-3 inches of water within minutes of turning the shower on. The inlet was a 3/4" pipe and the drain a 1½", so there should have been no problem. I was promised that it would be fixed.

We got the hangers on day 3. The bath drain was never fixed.

At breakfast, there was the standard selection of cereals, fruit salad, stewed fruit, yoghurt, with sandwich loaves (still in the plastic bags!) for toast. I didn't try the tea but the coffee (from an urn) was barely drinkable, and tasted like it had ben boiled. The coffee in the lounge was much better, but of course you had to pay for that. The full English breakfast eggs were scrambled - no choice there. Croissants were provided once.

Supper was a set menu. The veg seemed to be pretty much the same selection each night though, but quite tasty. The quality of the main dishes varied (my wife and I both had beef one night and, while mine was fine, hers was inedibly dry). The urn coffee was even worse than the morning's offering, and seemed to be reboiled breakfast coffee.

If there was ever a dining room manager present, they must have been very good at camouflaging themselves. We did see the managing director once, when he came around to tell us, beaming, how delighted he was that tour groups such as ourselves were staying at his hotel.

We, as a group, we're allowed into main dining room once, for supper, I think because there was another function in our usual room. That meal was a comedy of errors -- wine glass being knocked over by an over-hasty waitress and spilling all over tyhe dress of one of the diners, 90p change from a fiver being provided as eitghteen 5p coins (how can a hotel of this size and starry splendour not have proper change?), other drinkks orders forgotten, very slow service.

I suspect that, because we were a tour group, we got a cut rate, so presumkably management thought that justified a second rate service too. I can't believe, though, that they have a special squad of sub-standard staff to inflict upon such second class guests as ourselves, so I have to accept that the frontline staff are all the same. Our impression was that they had minimal, if any, training for the job - and, as I said, that fault is laid at management's door.

We had considerably better, slicker, and more professional service at a 3-star hotel outside Dublin on our way home.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank AntonM99
Newry
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Overall the hotel isn't bad in regards to style, bedrooms and food. As for the attitude of the staff, it leaves a lot to be desired. On arrival myself and the large group I was travelling with had been greeted by a really nice young woman at reception, however that was all to change. When we went to restaurant for our evening meal, an extremely rude young male with a terrible attitude had told us off for being late. This was not the case as we had phoned a few days earlier to change our meal times, this was also confirmed with an email. When trying to gain access to the leisure facilities, I was again met with an attitude from a rude young girl who thought that shouting instead of talking in a normal manner was appropriate when dealing with customers. When using the smoking facilities outside a member of our group had been verbally insulted by another customer because he was wearing a pink top. So folks if love a bad attitude, questionable clientele then the La Mon is for you!

• Stayed August 2014
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Really enjoyed our three night stay. Room clean and bright, nice touch having biscuits selection each day.
Breakfast was very good, staff helpful and chatty.
Caught taxi to Belfast , cost was 12 pounds, saved the hassle of driving and parking in a strange city.
Used leisure facilities a few times and these were very good.
Only negative was no wi fi in room

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ballynahinch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I attended La Mon last Friday with a group of girls for the 'Abba night' function. We took advantage of the package that was offered and also booked to stay for the night.
From start to finish we were treated by the most polite and courteous staff. Nothing was too much trouble. I wish I had paid more attention to their names to give them proper recognition. I know the Manager was called Jim.
The food at the function was unbelievable. I did not really have high expectations for a 2 course buffet but I could not have been more wrong. I had the daube of beef (which you could almost have eaten with a spoon it was so tender). The trio of mini desserts was served to us at our table and was delicious. Restaurant quality food of the highest standard.
The group were fantastic. They played Abba songs for the first half of the evening, then a variety of genre the second half. The dance floor was packed for most of the night.
The room/breakfast/facilities were of the same high standard I had experienced before. All in all a fabulous evening that could not be faulted in any way. Well done La Mon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends