“Not a good experience”

and 1 more site!
Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #39 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 28 December 2007

The hotel itself has decently clean rooms and dated but livable decor. I had, however, a very poor experience with the staff working there. Coming back from a restaurant I found I had lost my key. Not great, I know, but I was subjected to a genuinely sarcastic tirade and told I wouldn't be given a spare by a woman whose customer service actually shocked me. So much so that it became less annoying than funny and at least her colleague rolled his eyes and fetched me a spare. I had left the key at my partner's house (we were getting married the next day!) but was amazed to be subjected to a rerun on returning the found key. When I finally confronted the receptionist about her behaviour I got a sort of apology, but am still astounded enough to have been spoken to like that to write up my experiences a month later. More straightforwardly incompetent was the decision to re-room my mother (without apology or, initially, explanation) on the second night in what didn't seem a full Belfast hotel in November because "we have a family coming". She was left to move her own bags from a room booked months in advance. Finally, the function room downstairs houses a disco on a Friday night to 1 a.m. or so (possibly other nights as well) which are loud in the poorly soundproofed bedrooms. More positively, the hotel building houses a very pleasant Chinese restaurant which is a separate business.

Stayed: November 2007

Reviewed 15 October 2007

I stayed over following attending a Wedding here in July 2007 and can safely say that the staff here were the rudest and most incompetent that I have ever encountered.
At the end of the night, the extremely aggressive Door Staff were herding people out of the hotel in a very belligerent manner. When I explained that I was a resident, I was asked to show ID before I was begrudgingly afforded the privilege of being allowed to actually stay in the room that I had paid for. My friends who were not staying over were then unceremoniously removed from the lobby area without being allowed to wait for a taxi.
Another guest was asked for her room number and when she couldn't immediately recall this, was locked out onto the street.

Apart from this unique approach to customer care, the food is bland, the decor tired and listless, the rooms over-priced with the establishment being completely bereft of any charm or warmth.
On second thoughts maybe the guest who was locked out of the hotel, was the lucky one...

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank shockedBelfast
Reviewed 29 May 2007

My second visit to this Hotel. Again, some of the negative responses posted on this website do not do it any justice. The Lansdowne is a small busy little hotel with local values and a good value for money ethos.

If you are seeking a large multi-national, this is not for you. If you are seeking a touch of the local life whilst exploring the local mountain range, cycling, visting the local Belfast Zoo, golfing at the local Fortwilliam, or even visiting friends and relatives in the vacinity, then this location is ideal.

It is only three miles from the hussle of the city centre, so a trip in does not cost an arm and a leg.

So... value for money and down to earth service... its worth a stay.

• Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank seanBelfast
Reviewed 10 January 2007

I recently stayed at the Lansdowne Hotel with a group of friends for the weekend and found this hotel particularly inviting and friendly. The rooms look like new and the main bar excellent with friendly staff, I particularly liked the view of the garden from the conservatory which had an inclosed childrens play area. We were also able to get discount on the rooms as we were with a group of people. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to visit Belfast for the weekend or even for business.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank Temps
Reviewed 4 January 2007

This was terrible. The rooms look like they haven't been decorated in years - one of the castors on my bed was missing and the matress drooped alarmingly in the middle. The staff couldn't have cared. The duty manager told me that the General Manager wasn't available to deal with my complaint, but would investigate and get back to me. Nothing.

Breakfast was dissapointing and I was waiting almost 20 minutes before I could even place my order. there was someone asleep, and snoring in the dining room - turns out it was the chef!

Possibly the worst hotel experience ever - avoid like the plague.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled solo
3  Thank ConconDub
Reviewed 23 February 2006

it was disgustingly untidy the food was horrendous and the staff were unpolite in a way i have never experienced.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank carly06032017
Reviewed 10 September 2005

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The hotel staff were very friendly and the rooms nicely decorated they even had an iron and ironing board! We were there for a wedding at Belfast Castle which itself is well worth a visit if only for the views. It was only a short bus ride to the city center. This hotel was excellant value for money.

• Stayed: September 2005