“Very basic and dangerous shower!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Belfast Central

Travelodge Belfast Central
Ranked #32 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Very basic and dangerous shower!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

We stayed in the Travelodge for one night on 29 October 2011. We were expecting a basic room and that was what we got. We were on the corner of the building so had a peculiar triangular shaped room but it was large enough for 2 people.

The website mentions that there are no toileteries in the room but having forgotten ours I expected to be able to purchase some at reception. This wasn't possible however, so we had to go out shopping to get some shampoo and shower gel.

The bed was firm but comfortable. The first thing we noticed when lying on the bed was that the polystyrene panels on the ceiling were all out of place, leaving huge gaps looking up into the ceiling cavity! My husband had to go around the room adjusting them all so we didn't feel like something might fall on us in the night!

The shower was atrocious. I had meant to mention to the hotel staff when we left but as we were in a rush I didn't get a chance. Firstly the instructions on the wall in the bath don't seem to be right. It says that the left tap is for turning on and off and the right tap is for temperature. However, after turning on with the left tap, the right tap would only make the temperature change from very hot to scalding! We had to turn the left tap to increase the cold water flow and get a temperature that was comfortable, however, every minute or two the shower would suddenly turn freezing and you would have to run to the end of the bath to escape it until it returned to normal!! This almost resulted in me falling out of the bath when trying to escape the cold spell with shampoo in my eyes! It could have been quite dangerous.

We paid £62 for the room for one night. I think this must be a more expensive rate for halloween as it certainly is not worth this amount.

We would only return to the travelodge if we couldn't get anywhere else.

Good points - location is great for city centre. Staff were friendly. We ate dinner in the restaurant and the food was excellent and reasonable. (see separate review of Olio.)

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Garry G, General Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, 5 November 2011
Dear Tommadi
Thank for taking the time to leave your review.
I was pleased to read you were enjoyed our location and found our staff friendly.
I am sorry for the problems you encountered with the shower and I would be grateful if you could contact me with your room number to have the shower repaired.

Garry Gaynor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Otane, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed 2 nights in October at this hotel. First room had broken lights, flat pillows and was like being in a box. There was a window but it was a false window. I queried the bedside lights and was told maintenance would come and look at it. Two hours later I went down again and was told maintenance would fix it in the morning. I asked for new room but was told hotel was fully booked and that I couldn't have another room. Next day I asked at lunchtime when would maintenance fix the lights and was told I could have a bedside lamp to plug in. i asked for a new room and asked for one with a window. Was given the room above the front door which was smaller and dingier than my first room. The noise from the front door disturbed us all night. Sorry Travelodge Belfast but you gave us a very poor impression of your wonderful city purely by neglecting the basic needs of a traveller. On the website parking was advertised. On arrival we were told they hadn't had a chance to change the website but there is no parking. They sent us about 3 blocks away to try and find a parking building in the pouring rain.

Room Tip: use another hotel
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Garry G, General Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear Beverley W
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I am sorry to read that you were not happy with your stay.
Our maintenance staff did look at the bedside light but due to a replacement part needed were unable to rectify the problem and as you stated we did offer a plug in desk lamp.
Unfortunately as the hotel was fully booked we were unable to move you on the first night, the room you moved to the following day is the same size and has three double glazed windows.
On our website the car parking options listed are on street outside the hotel (which is free after 6.00pm and all day Sunday) or a discounted rate at a local NCP.
If you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me.

regards

Garry Gaynor

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

I found the staff at the travelodge in Belfast to be very helpfull and friendly, even going so far as to print out a map for us of the best way to get to our next location in Doublin.
This hotel did not have a lot of frills, and the room was not huge; the walls were a little thin,that being said,suprisingly, the hotel was very quite,warm and clean.
Complementry coffee or tea in the room.
The location was excellent, within walking distance of the city ctr, close to the "hop on hop of", tour bus location, (good value for the money and recomended, approx 1.5 to 2hrs long), it is very close to a famous pub "The Crown" which is another place i would highly recomend, for the frindly staff good food, the atmosphere and the Guinness beer.
One tip i would give is to be carefull getting into the shower as it had a tendancy to run hot and cold at random interviles, the shower is a little high to get in to, which is not to good for those that have trouble raising there leg past knee level, the shower is very good, but tempermental and touchy, but once you master it,it is worth the time fiddling with it.
Over all i liked this hotel and would recomend it as a friendly place to stay whiling exploreing in the lovely city of Belfast.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank billCanada
Dear billCanada
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and shall pass on our comments to our team who really appreciate it when customer takes the time to acknowledge their hard work.

regards

Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

A few years ago, we had the misfortune to stay in the Travelodge in Derry City for two long nights. Not only was it basic, it was shabby and unpleasant. Yes, it was clean but there was no remote for the television and the buttons in the set also seemed to have been removed. The carpet was worn and there wasn't so much as a bar of soap in the bathroom.

Planning a trip to Belfast, I checked prices at a number of hotels. I only wanted a room for the night as I was going up to meet pals. I had noticed that Travelodge had rebranded and so I decided to give it another try. Their hotel in Belfast is in such a great location - beside the bus station, behind the Crown Pub and about 3 minutes walk from the city centre were all factors influencing my decision to stay there. And price too. At €47 for one night (excluding breakfast), it was good value.

The staff were helpful and very friendly. I asked for a quiet room and the Receptionist was at pains to explain that all she could give me was a very dark room. I said that was no problem as all I wanted was somewhere to sleep and shower. She was right. It was dark with only a slit of a window but that suited me fine.

The standard of the room had improved dramatically. It looked new, fresh, very clean and there was soap in the bathroom! (I had remembered to bring all toiletaries this time!) There was a TV (with remote!) and Tea/Coffee making facilities. It was basic, very basic but it was perfect for an overnight or short stay.

Negatives? The shower was insane. I followed the instructions but the temperature went from very hot to extremely hot to scalding. There was also a machine in the room that beeped at regular intervals throughout the night disturbing sleep. The heater and air conditioner were off so I have no idea what it was.

Would I stay again? Absolutely. I got more value than I expected for the price I paid.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Garry G, General Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Orbeeque
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I am pleased that you have noticed the improvements we have made.
If you could contact me at garry.gaynor@travelodge.ie and let me know which room you stayed in I can investigate the beeping noise and have the shower repaired.

Chester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

It's a Travelodge so you've got to expect basic amenities, that said we certainly weren't expecting the odd layout of our room. It had a sofa in front of the window which could be made into a sofa bed, maybe this was a family room but it was certainly very small, there was a tv mounted on the wall in such a way as it could not be seen from either the sofa or the bed! We pulled the sofa round and found a way that worked and luckily the cleaners left it there each day which was good.

The kettle provided on the desk didn't stretch to any of the many plug sockets in the room so we had to balance it on the window sill each time we wanted a cup of tea! Finally the light in the bathroom was so bright and so directional that when you lay down in the bath it felt like you were in a police interview room!

Location is brilliant, if a little noisy given the Irish Pub round the corner playing fiddle music til 1am, other than that it's great for the Europa Conference Centre, Bus Station, City Hall and other central attractions, there's plenty of pubs on your doorstep including the famous Crown Bar and also a Tesco Express just round the corner.

Staff were really nice, happy to help out with maps and recommendations, something I don't expect from a Travelodge. If I was going to Belfast again on the cheap I'd stay there.

Room Tip: 5th floor and above, rooms ending in 01 will be further from the noisy pub!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Garry G, General Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, 23 October 2011
Dear MattyLion
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your positive comments to my staffs who really appreciate it when guest acknowledge their efforts.
If you could contact me with your room number I will arrange for the television to be put on a swivel bracket so it can be watched from anywhere in the room, my e-mail address is garry.gaynor@travelodge.ie.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

We only spent 1 night at Travellodge and on reading reveiws was a bit worried.

On check we were early I asked for a high floor quiet room receptionist explained obviously city centre hotel they couldnt guarantee a quiet room . Then Gary said the rooms with the very small windows had just had new airconditioning units installed yesterday and i was most welcome to have a look , again i was a bit dubious obviously as the reports on the rooms with small windows.

Well we had the best night sleep in the room 207 comfy bed brand new pillows air con unit worked perfectly not at all loud .

Could not fault service at hotel everybody was very helpful especially Carmena receptionist on check out

We parked outside hotel on the street no problem at all

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Garry G, General Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear edhall
Thank you for leaving the time to leave your review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed you stay.
We use guest reviews to help us improve our service and as you mentioned we have now installed new air conditioning units and are trialling new pillows.
I trust you had a good shopping trip and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

kind regards
northern ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

Room was clean and comfortable great for one night stay....your in the town so expected noise when we stayed!! Would stay again so central to bus station pubs and shops all walking distance!!

• Stayed August 2011
Dear holidaymaker12
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I was please you found the hotel clean, comfortable and enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Belfast