“Good location, friendly staff but quite noisy”

Travelodge Belfast Central
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just got back from staying 10 nights at this hotel. We had a fabulous time in Belfast and this hotel is in a good location being only a short walk from the centre of the city with all the shops and restaurants you could want. It is also right behind the famous Crown Bar which is great for visiting the pub but does make it very noisy to try and sleep! The Crown and the pub next door are very noisy and people comming and going and smoking outside as well as the live music made it very noisy past midnight every night. Couple that with Housekeeping starting very early in the morning each day and you are down to only a few hours sleep per night. My room was located next to a store room where the housekeeper would park her cart every morning to stack it with supplies, so there was no chance of a sleep in.
When we checked in we asked if there were any refurbished rooms that we could stay in ( we had 2 rooms booked for 10 nights) but were given older rooms which really were fine, and very clean. They told us the rooms had new windows and they were double glazed but they did nothing to keep out the outside noise. It would have been nice to be given newer rooms though as we were there for so long and due to a big event in Belfast (which we were attending) we were paying an average of £75 per night per room (If we had been paying the usual £19 or so a night I would have absolutely no complaint).
The shower was good! Lots of water from a proper shower head and plenty of towels.
Bed was a bit lumpy, time for new mattresses.
In room internet was good and fast, I think it was £22 for 5 days, daily rates were available as well.
Due to the outside noise, we had to keep our windows closed all night, this did cause the room to become quite warm, this may be a problem for people staying in the summer months. We were there in April so it wasn't too bad for us.
Great taxi service, using dedicated phone in the lobby, just pick up the receiver and you are able to ask for a taxi which will arrive in minutes.
We only had breakfast in the attached restaurant once, and only had the tea/coffee and toast option which is a bargain at £3. Serveral different kinds of bread and small pancakes were on offer, make your own toast with jams, honey, marmelade and each person received their own pot of tea.
We had dinner several times at the wonderful nearby Robinsons restaurant, it is upstairs next door to the Crown Bar. Wow, what great food! The next door upstairs Crown Bar dining room is famous for it's food, we ate there once and Robinsons is far superior and the same price. Robinsons is next door to the Crown, walk past the Crown and then up the carpeted stairs to food heaven! Last orders are taken at 9pm, so as long as you are seated by 9 they can take your order.
We also ate at Restaurant Victoria just down the road from Crown/Robinsons and it was amazing as well, a little more expensive, but not much for the high level of service and delicious food.
Overall, the hotel is good, my only complaint is the noise. I am a light sleeper so maybe someone who is a heavier sleeper wouldn't mind it so much. If I was to return to Belfast and couldn't get a very cheap rate here, I think I would try and find a quieter hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aussiejigsnreels
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Aussiejigsnreels
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us despite some problems.
As the hotel is so well located near the centre of Belfast the area can be busy however as you mentioned the hotel had new double glazing installed last year, we have a good relationship with the local bars and can contact them if we are made aware of any noise issues. I will speak to our housekeepers to remind them of the importance of minimising noise whilst in their store.
Kind regards
Garry Gaynor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,049)

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed here previously and wrote a review but I have since returned on a couple of occassions and I have too say I was pleasantly surprised. I ged early check in and was there before 12 noon and was able too check in with no proble.

The room we were in was of a good size and was on the uper floors which I have too adit we both liked as it seemed alot quieter.

My perceptions have changed of this travelodge and I think we will be back again staying.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drumtaratraveller
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Drumtara_traveller
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I am pleased that you have returned to us and have enjoyed the improvements we are making.
We have reviewed our procedure for early check in as a result of the feed back we received.
Guest can check in early if we have rooms available and if none are available we will look after your bags until they are ready or if you wish to guarantee a check in from midday you can still reserve the early check in from midday.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed here for a shopping trip last year. Hotel location is ideal. Rooms are clean and airy. Very basic but we only used the rooms for sleeping as everything you could need is right around the corner. The hotel staff are very knowledgable of the local area and gave us some great tips. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank serena1982
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear Serena 1982
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review,
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay,as you mentioned the hotel is centrally located and great value for money.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed here when on a night out in Belfast. I paid £29 for the room which is great value. The room was very clean, warm and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. No chance of sleeping in though. I was awake from 6am because of the noise outside.
Great for the money and getting your head down though!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Dear weemusicwoman
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your comments to our team.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is a no frills hotel - with a location that can't be beat at a price that is right! The people were super friendly. We arrived way before check in so they stored our luggage in a secure room and we wandered around until check in. This place is SO convenient. Crown Bar is right around the corner and City Hall is a quick walk away. I have stayed here multiple times and will stay again and again. It is so cheap and so convenient. No breakfast, but at the price, no worries.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vic H
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear Vic H
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and trust the rest of your trip around Ireland was as enjoyable.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Room was facing back of hotel. A Loud generator on adjacent building kept me awake first night, bought earplugs for second night. Room was fine, bed comfy and grand reception on tv. Staff were nice but dishonest, I was told it was 5 pounds to use internet. I think next time I will stay in Days Inn hotel, price is a little cheaper and free wifi internet is available. After reading other reviews for Belfast travellodge I see there was free wifi in the lobby so I think this should have been told to me when i asked about wifi. I think you should tell your staff not to withhold this information in the future

Room Tip: Ask to be facing the street I suppose
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MrsOShea
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear Mrs OShea
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I can assure you the Reception staff are not dishonest, free wifi in the lobby is available via a voucher valid for 20 minutes, most guests prefer to use the wifi in the room which for £5 for 24 hours for a fast, reliable and professional service I believe is good value.

regards

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel 12 years ago when owned by another brand and it was great. Obviously a lot has changed since then - This hotel had a great little bar that overlooked a busy courtyard. and decent furnished room. On my arrival at 8.30am, I was told couldn't check in until 3pm - which didn't matter as I had to go off to an important meeting which would take up the rest of the day - But come on - 3pm is really very late for rooms to become available. Secondly the room/s were shabby (Room 501) and the lights outside the lifts was 'sensor operated'. It was like some old scrooge landlord was running the place - It just made the hotel feel really cheap and depressing. Which it is - Bedding and linen was very poor and the facilities awful - The bar has been closed now - permanently it seems - I know this is a budget hotel, but there are better places to stay in this great city, which are far better value for money and far more of a pleasant experience - The only good points was its location and the reception girl who was nice and helpful and also quite embarrassed at the state of the place. Gave the downstairs eatery a miss - it looked just as bad as the hotel room. They say never go back - on this occasion that advice is so so true

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ejs12
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Ejs12
Thank you for leaving your review.
The hotel has been a travelodge for 14 years, and I actually worked in the hotel before it was taken over by Travelodge so I am very familiar with the improvements to the hotel since then.
Our advertised check in time is 3.00pm however if rooms are available we do allow guests to check in or leave bags until the room is available, some hotels have a 2.00pm check in time however they also have expect guests to check out at 11.00am and not 12.00pm.
The room 501 is a standard travelodge room with a flat screen television, the energy saving ‘sensor operated’ lights are part of our commitment to reducing our carbon footprint and is the current industry standard best practice.
The linen is provided by the largest supplier of linen in Belfast and the same quality of linen is provided to all hotels in the city.
Olio restaurant is attached to the hotel and run indecently by a well respected local restaurateur with over 30 year’s experience which is far superior to the restaurant which used to be on the first floor (not the bar).
I can assure you that none of our staff are embarrassed by our hotel.