“Not the best, not the worst”

Travelodge Belfast Central
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 25 November 2013

On arrival check in was prompt and efficient, the room was clean and modern. It would have been useful to have an iron and ironing board in the room, I know it's a budget hotel but these are basic amenities these days. The location was excellent, very central to the city and there was plenty of cheap on street car parking on the streets around the hotel.

On the down side I wasn't feeling very well so ended up spending more time in the room than I had planned. As a result I became very aware of how poorly sound proofed the rooms are, both from the noise of the bars outside and people in the surrounding rooms and corridors. Also, the bed wasn't the most comfortable in the world but not so bad that it was worth complaining about.

I'd imagine that the noise situation is less of a problem during the week and if you're staying at the weekend then you're likely to be out enjoying yourself in the evening anyway. Overall it was a decent stay at a good price and I'd certainly visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Ewerk1
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Garry Gaynor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had a pretty bad experience in this hotel and while it was no fault of the staff it really soured my experience. I'd say it's just in a bad area and probably too cheap.

About ten minutes after I checked in there lots of banging and shouting. People on the street were looking up at the hotel but I couldn't tell what was going on. Someone on my floor was shouting and was obviously not too sober, even broke a window in their room. I spent well over an hour locked in my room afraid to move listening to the staff trying to keep him in one place and calm (though he still spent the whole time roaring) until the police came and arrested him. And this was all between 3 and 5 pm.

It was also pretty noisy at night around the time all the pubs/clubs were closing. It was VERY central, just across the road from the bus station but I just spent my whole stay feeling very unsafe and waiting 'til I could check out again.

Cheap but for me it really wasn't worth it. I can honestly say I'll never be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eimear G
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Eimar G
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Unfortunately during your stay there was an incident. The guest was very distressed and I personally restrained him until the police arrived. In over two years I have been in the hotel this is the only incident of this nature that has occurred.
If you do consider coming back to Belfast please contact me directly and I will personally ensure your stay is more reflective of our standards.
kind regards

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

But the bath did not drain properly, meaning I had to shower in a growing pool of water.

Worse, the non-slip tread on the bath was old and beyond cleaning. I cannot fault the housekeeping staff - no amount of elbow grease would make that bath white again, but for what I had said for that room facing am internal well, management could have refinished the bath.

In common with other reviewers, I am familiar with a budget / no-frills hotel model, but this did not conform. I would expect to be told that there is to be no hot water in the afternoon. I would expect that when market forces drive prices up, the money will first be spent to maintain basic standards.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 5pam L

Dear 5pam L
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.
The baths are steel and are off white colours so do not discolour with age. The hot water is on constantly and the taps in the room are mixers so a quick call to reception we can could have resolved any issues quickly.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel is located centrally in Belfast, just a few minutes walk from the Grand Opera house and the Euro Bus station. You could come from City airport in a bus and then get off at the city bus stop and then walk to the hotel . It is also super near to all main attractions in Belfast like City Hall, Shopping Mall, St. George Market, Cathedral Square, Victory Square, and Titanic Belfast.

The room was basic, clean, with hair dryer, bathroom and hot water pot for tea/coffee. Internet is charged at 5 Pound per day. Some of the rooms are facing the street and there could be noises from the bar so you should ask for higher floor to be quieter.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor so that it is more quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Sombatbkk
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us particularly as you are such regular contributor to Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel on Brunswick street is centrally located and is close to all attractions; unfortunately the down side to this is that it is very noisy, particularly on a weekend when the bars and clubs are kicking out. We stayed for three nights (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) and the first two nights were thoroughly awful. We had two children with us (our youngest is 18 months) and although we were on the seventh floor it was extremely noisy outside and this kept us all awake into the early hours. Unfortunately we were also given a family room on a corridor that was seemingly full of rowdy drunken young people. During the first two nights they were up until the early hours shouting, slamming doors, swearing and generally making a nuisance of themselves. I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the Saturday night but when there was a repeat performance on the Sunday I complained to the night staff just before two in the morning. To be fair to the guy on duty he was swift to act and came back upstairs with me and told the people in the next room to be quiet. After he had gone they did settle down a bit but there was still unacceptable levels of noise at times.
In addition, this is the second travelodge that I have stayed in where I have had to ask for a cot and bedding for the sofa bed even though requested at the time of booking.
I don't expect the earth when staying at a hotel like this but I do expect a decent night's sleep. Unfortunately this stay proved to be a most unfortunate welcome for our first time in Belfast. There is no way I would use this hotel again; families beware! It appears to be the haunt of young people who are out to make as much noise as possible!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Rob73eli

Dear Rob
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay. Our staffs conduct regular walks of the corridors and if guests are a persistent problem we will remove them from the hotel.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed here for one night for a concert so we really did not stay in the room for long. It was a clean room in a central location. Quite small but it did the job for what we wanted.

I would not have liked to spend more than a night here and if I had of been travelling as a couple or with my family would probably not have been too happy but it was grand for what we wanted.

It has a great location!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jennypeny

Dear Jennypeny
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and as you mentioned our location is very central which make it a great base for visiting Belfast.

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Clerk gave us good directions for getting into the city. Got a corner room with view of a busy walking mall. Neat and clean. Best part was an attached restaurant that provided a non-pub atmosphere and delicious food at a reasonable price. Seemed to be s favorite of locals. Even had live music! The reasonable price for the breakfast was good and the buffet was fine. Enjoyed the company of the young man on duty there. We were very close to key downtown tourist attractions.

• Stayed: October 2013
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Scooper 1962
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I shall pass on your comments to our staff.