“Security staff very rude”

Travelodge Belfast Central
Ranked #33 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 24 June 2014

First the positives fantastic location, and it was clean.
Now onto the negatives. I had a twin room booked but I checked in alone, my cousin (male if that makes a difference) was meeting me out for dinner and was then going to stay the night as I had a twin room booked anyway and had paid for it my cousin is a local lad. The security staff was refusing to let him in as his name wasn't on a piece of paper that he had... Honestly it was a shambles they kept saying it's not your cousin... Did you just meet him.. Honestly to say I am livid is an understatement. In my room it has nothing to do with the security staff who I am sharing it with... Very poor service.

• Stayed: April 2014
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Edayhouse
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am sorry about the problems you encountered with the security staff . They are there to prevent non-residents from entering the building however I would expect them to use their discretion which they do not appear to have done on this occasion. I will discuss this matter with my team. I hope this will not prevent you from returning to us once again.
kind regards
Garry Gaynor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Perfect place for staying over in Belfast for a night. Going out with friends then home the next morning it has all you need to get your head down, shower and head off again. Comfy bed, clean bathroom and spacious rooms. The fact that it is square in the middle of the city makes it perfect.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Stephen
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased enjoyed your stay with us and as you mentioned the location makes it the perfect spot for visiting the city.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel was the cheapest in Belfast by a mile and for the price the location was excellent, only five minutes walk from City Hall and behind Europa bus and rail station. The room was cheap but fully functional, the only compliant that I had was security. They have this strange practise where you have to hand your key in every time that you leave the hotel and all you needed to get it back was the room number and name, something everyone in the reception there at the time could know. Also I found that when there were long queue's of people checking in the didn't ask questions just hand out keys, it meant I didn't feel safe leaving things in the hotel room, not a quality I like in a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Colin
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We recommend that guests leave the key in case it gets lost. As you will see from the previous review people’s views differ on how the hotel should approach security. Our staff will only hand out the key if they have confirmed the name or recognise the guest.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

first of all, thank you to the receptionist who did my check in and acknowledge my request to be moved to another room after finding out that the first room was noisy from outside.
the room was ok, nothing much to expect but its comfortable enough.
my main concern is the professionalism of the other receptionist.
i booked a room for 2 adult but i checked in alone because my boyfriend was still working. come evening time, i went out to meet him and we entered the hotel together. i took the key from the reception and my boyfriend waited by the lift. the receptionist just called him and questioned if he is a guest of the hotel. i told her hes with me. then she explained that i have to writedown his name. it wasnt explained during checkout or i wasnt even questioned during check in if someones with me considering that i booked for 2 adults. i didnt mind the rule of leaving the key every time we will go out, which is also strange. but the way the receptionist questioned my boyfriend undiscreetly as if he was a "gate crashers" in a party, it was really unprofessional, borderline rudeness shall i say. its good that the distance of the reception and the lift is not that far, otherwise she will be shouting just to question the guest.
other hotels dont bother asking the name of the companion of the main guest. on the other hand, i dont mind being asked for as long as it will be done in a professional way.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ako C Ofel
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. in the event of an evacuation of the hotel it is important that we are aware of all persons who maybe in the hotel. I will discuss your comments with my team to ensure that this is dealt with more professionally in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Recently we stayed at the Travelodge in Belfast, NI for 4 nights. It was very expensive for a basic hotel chain, and the room could have used a good vacuuming and remodel. The veneer was peeling off the bedside tables, and the grout in the bathroom was crumbling. There were no amenities like shampoo or Kleenex, but there was an ironing board and tea-making facilities. On the plus side, there was free Internet if you used your iPad, etc. in the lobby, and the staff were quite pleasant. The best part of staying here was the location. It was centrally located and still quiet at night for a city hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Celtic Magpie
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with your stay. With the exchange rate I understand that the hotel can seem expensive however we always aim to provide the best value for money in Belfast.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Room was comfortable, staff was very knowledgable, helpful, and friendly. My room was £76 (which I felt was a little expensive.) Further, for this much, I think the hotel could forgo an additional £5 for WiFi in the room and simply offer free WiFi throughout the hotel. However, it is a nice place for the price class.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Garry G, Manager at Travelodge Belfast Central, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Jonathan
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and our staff were able to help you. I understand the exchange rate can make hotels here seem expensive however by booking in advance through our website we have some great prices available.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Belfast is grossly expensive for a city centre hotel: Travelodge offered the best deal for my simple needs -- in one night and out extremely early the next morning. If you wanted to take their breakfast it would not be quite such good value I suspect, but I was away long before I could put this to the test. Very handily situated. I'd use it again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Megsboy
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found us good value for money. Our breakfast served by Olio’s is also excellent value.