Park Avenue Hotel
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Myself and two friends visited Gelstons bar/restaurant in the Park Avenue hotel on Thursday 27th March for lunch , as we have done several times a year without any problems. I ordered Portavogie scampi with chunky chips and a portion of peas ,and was extremely disappointed. The scampi pieces were small ,tasteless , and mostly consisted of breadcrumbs, an embarrassment to the Portavogie fishing industry .I received nine chunky chips on my plate and a number of crispy ends consisting of batter, with a small portion of peas .My meal in short lacked quality and poor value for money ,considering it cost £9.95.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Enjoyed a meal in the bar, choice on menu was very good. Bar service was excellent.
The reception staff on entering were not particularly helpful, they were talking and looked more annoyed that I interupted their conversation, not what you would expect from a 4* hotel. One particular girl named Louise was rude and clearly could not be bothered to help. But we did enjoy our meal in the bar.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Rooms are nice in hotel but was disappointed at the service we received in the bar/restaurant. We were left standing by the bar for 10minutes before being waited on... then after placing our cocktail order.. another 5min before being seated then another 10 before receiving our very poor tasting/looking cocktails priced at £7:50 each... thankfully we had a complimentary drink included in our room deal as they are not worth that kind of money... and cocktail training/ tastings should be given to your barstaff... My main grievance was breakfast. .. before booking I phoned hotel and asked did you do a breakfast in room service as i knew our stay involved a late night so wanted a lie in... hence why we booked late check out...I was informed that use did that service.... I was NOT told that room service was only continental breakfast with 9am latest time! I have never stayed in a 4* or even a 3* hotel that does not serve a full irish breakfast in the room service and usually till 10 even 11am on weekends! Very dissapointed that we got no breakfast and Our complimentary drink was not worth its waiting time or £ ... so basically we got room only service and thats why on service alone unfortunately I would not rush to stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed in the Park Av on the Sat night as we had a christening on the Sun with a meal for the christening party @ the hotel afterwards. Had dinner in the restaurant on the sat night, also ..... Meals on both occasions were lovely & reasonably priced. Staff were all pleasant throughout the stay, couldnt fault anything apart from the pullout bed for my daughter to sleep on(not great). Lovely hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is was not my first stay and will not be my last. Nice clean room with free wifi as all hotels should be! Food in bar was as always very good, service excellent, and surroundings are relaxed; I did not feel uncomfortable or out of place while eating alone. Breakfast was just the job to set me up for the day!! Staff were friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Excellent value for money - very good food which was served quickly and efficiently. The hotel staff were friendly and efficient, especially Louise at reception, who was extremely helpful and displayed very good local knowledge when asked for directions to several locations in Belfast city. All in all, a very pleasant visit to this establishment with it's good food, welcoming atmosphere and friendly, efficient and helpful staff.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Very friendly staff, and a really good value hotel that offers good food and a nice bar. The rooms are lovely , especially superior ones, and beds are very comfortable.
An Ulster fry for breakfast is always a great way to start the day. Keep up the great work, I will be back.