“Great value, and some amusing quirkiness”
Review of Park Avenue Hotel

Park Avenue Hotel
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
South coast England
“Great value, and some amusing quirkiness”
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Two separate two-night stays in the same month. I have deserted from the Stormont hotel when I have a car in Belfast (see my past Stormont reviews). Booked exec rooms (I have very tight writing deadlines and need good desk space).

It’s not often that I open a hotel room door and laugh out loud, but I did with room 206 at Park Avenue which is decorated in a striking art deco style. The room was great for two nights, but would have been too garish for a long stay. I like this hotel. Good location and free, easy parking. Very good service in the bar in the evenings for meals (I did not try the restaurant at night, but it looked good). Breakfasts – very good service and coked to order. High quality ingredients and service. Two good restaurants across the road, just outside of the hotel.

On my second stay, I had a different exec room (this time 3rd floor). On check in, the receptionist was surprisingly miserable. I had a problem with the plumbing in the bathroom, but this was fixed remarkably quickly by a very efficient (female) plumber. On my last night (deadlines pressing), I ordered a room service meal. It arrived within 10 minutes (on a Friday night). Now that is great service.

Main drawback? Perennial grievance: no free Broadband (in a business class hotel).

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
worcestershire
Reviewed 30 April 2009

In Belfast for the first time so chose this hotel just for 2 nights following some impressive reviews on this site, & they were correct. Staff very friendly on check in. My room was only a single so obviously not huge,but very clean,and the bed which was still a double was so comfortable. The hotel bar,Gelstons Corner was also very nice & relaxing,with a sort of locals bar feel,which makes a real change for a hotel bar,with good bar meals too. Breakfast pretty good with plenty of choice,& all for a reasonable price,about £70-£80 for an internet single rate. Easy to get into town centre from the hotel, a bus stop is right outside for the number 27 & 28 buses or walk a bit further down the road to catch the 3A. A taxi about £6-7, only about 15 mins into town. Also worth noting this is probably the closest hotel in town to Belfast city airport. A really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
scotland
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We unexpectedly needed to stay one night in Belfast near to the City Airport. Having had a nightmare day, we expected bad experiences to continue. However we had a great time.

The room was spacious and very clean. The bed huge and comfortable.

Without exception staff were friendly, helpful and cheerful.

Bar meal was excellent value and breakfast superb.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Midlands, UK
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Back for another business trip, they gave me a free upgrade to an executive suite, even had a TV in the bath :o) luxury. Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
letterkenny
Reviewed 26 March 2009

My partner and I stayed here on 21st march for 1 night, we stayed in this hotel as we were going to the Snow Patrol Concert, We had initally booked to stay in the Hilton Hotel but the Hilton had overbooked and put us in another hotel; , I didnt like the hotel The Hilton had put us into so i found the Park Avenue Hotel and i coulnd't fault this hotel at all, it was in a good location. The Rooms were big, we stayed in a Junior Suite, It was a super Queen size bed which was fabulous, we ate in the bar on Saturday night and the food was excellent,. the best I've ever had and i like to eat out.
Absolutel Excellent hotel, would recommend this hotel to anyone. Also must point out it was very reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank High_Maintenance26
Midlands, UK
Reviewed 9 March 2009

When I arrived at the airport to find an advertisment telling me that it was the closest to the airport I was a little worried that it would be nothing more than a travel lodge, but I have to say I was very pleasently surprised at the quality of this hotel.

Very efficient check-in and out, prompt service whenever I needed anything, which wasn't much other than to order taxis.

The room was excellent, clean and comfortable with wireless access, the largest bed I have ever slept in!!!

The bar was friendly and food OK, didn't try the restaurant in the evenings but it does have a good reputation locally.

Breakfast very good, Soda Bread, and Wheaten bread needs to be tried to be believed, and the staff helpful and friendly.

The only downside is the location, being a few miles out of town, it feels a little isolated. Maybe better in the summer when it will be easier to explore, I walked to Stormont one night, down to the Titanic Docks the next and spent an evening in the Crown Inn in the centre of Belfast, all I can recommend.

A couple of local restaurants deserve a mention, the Bistro on the corner across the road (Bennets) and the Gourmet Burger Bank both superb.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank SteveBMidlands_UK
Manchester
Reviewed 4 March 2009

Stayed for one night on business and I loved it. Gorgeously decorated through out. Staff were friendly and helpful. My room was fab, flat screen tv, desk and the best bed I've slept in! We ate in the bar area which was busy and vibrant, food was good too.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business