“A good place to stay outside the city centre”
Review of Dukes at Queens

Dukes at Queens
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Swansea, United Kingdom
“A good place to stay outside the city centre”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Stayed here for one night when I came for a job interview to Belfast. A very good hotel. Very friendly staff. Good breakfast.
Had a very nice and relaxed time here.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portadown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2012

From the minute my fiancée and I set foot in this hotel we were met with nothing but class. The lady at the front desk greeted us and was both courteous and polite. In fact the same can be said of all the staff.

We booked a deluxe room and that is what we got. It was huge. Both a walk-in shower and bath, a massive tv c/w iPod docking station, table and two massively comfortable chairs, ample storage space, all mod-cons, and a bed that was as big as it was comfy. Cleanliness level was superb throughout the room and the hotel too. The room also had complimentary wi-fi which is always a huge bonus.

We didn't eat in the restaurant/bistro area but the food looked very tasty and the decor was outstanding. We did however have a breakfast which was served from the hotel set menu. Both my fiancée and I enjoyed it enormously and would recommend that you try it. The options were great and we opted for the Ulster Fry. There was of course more health conscious options on offer. Cereals, fresh fruit etc etc.

The location is excellent. A mere 10 minute brisk walk from the city centre. There are countless restaurants of all varieties close by as well as cinemas, shops, and it's located just around the corner from Queen's University and The Botnaic Gardens. Definitely the nicest scenery in Belfast and ideal fr a couple looking to go for a stroll.

I'd definitely rate this hotel 10/10. Understated excellence. I'll be going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe. It's huge and excellent.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RememberTheTime
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Stayed in Dukes on 15th Dec. to attend a graduation cermony in Queens. The hotel was faultless. We parked overnight in University Street. When we returned to our car the next morning over £1,000 worth of damage had been done. The PSNI officers told us vandalism is a real problem in the area. So beware of on street parking !!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lizzyannemac
N.Ireland
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I booked this hotel for my husband and I to stay in on a night out in Belfast, we ended up not even leaving the hotel. The reception staff were very friendly on arrival and despite their being a problem with my booking, which was my fault, check in was still quick and efficient. They were willing to help us with any plans we wanted to make for the evening either inside the hotel or out in the town.

Our room was on the second floor and was absolutely huge with a glorious king size bed, sitting area and all the mod cons. A huge flat screen tv and i-pod doc which could be controlled from the bed. The bathroom was also really big with a lovely large bath and a very good power shower (we do judge our hotels by their showers I have to say.) There was a constant supply of hot water at any stage of the day.

We had booked a dinner package, again the restaurant and bar staff were very friendly despite being very busy with some large christmas parties in. The food again was really nice and didn't suffer due to the christmas party bookings which does sometimes happen in hotels and bars. The restaurant was really luxuriously decorated and is a great place to spend an evening, which is what we did. There was an acoustic singer on while we were having our meal and later on there was a a dj both of whom were really good and made you want to stay.

Although we were at the front of the hotel we didn't hear any noise from people of traffic outside. Breakfast was good, with kind a large selection of cereals and then the option of made to order hot breakfast. Again the staff were really friendly and always interested in having a chat if you want to.

On checkout we and one of the receptionists that checked us in and as usual friendly and efficient service.

I cannot praise this hotel highly enough, our stay was fabulous from start to finish and I have no doubt that if i need to stay in Belfast again I will be booking a room here.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsND
Banbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I have just had a wonderful weekend staying in Dukes hotel. The friendly staff and the excellent service we received helped make our weekend very special. Nothing was too much trouble. Rooms fabulous. Food fabulous. Cocktails fabulous. We had a great time dancing the night away in Claudines. This is the second year we have stayed here and it keeps getting better. We will be returning next year and probably during the year too. Our experience was so much better than we have had at supposedly 5 star hotels in Belfast. Thank you to you all.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank KateB63
Northampton
Reviewed 28 November 2011

If your looking for a stylish hotel with lovely staff then this is the place to stay! I booked this hotel for me and 8 friends for my best friends hen do in October. From booking I had to make two changes and the hotel staff was happy to help. When we arrived, we were so pleased. The room was the superior which was only £10 more, and what a room.....it was huge, comforting and modern. The staff were always on hand to answer our many questions, book taxis and recommend countless places. They never got tired of us asking, always wanting to make sure we had a great time. The bar served fantastic cocktails and the breakfast is superb! I can't recommend this hotel enough and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank kaznewsome
Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Spend a weekend with the wife at Dukes, it was our second stay here. First stay had blown us out of the water.

The hotel rooms are large, clean and nicely decorated. Some nice features such as surround sound and an ipod dock. Bathroom very big, but quite cold, no heating and heated towel rack was not working. Mini bar not present and would be nice to have. No wifi coverage in the room, but a (short) cable supplied.

Receptionist was very welcoming and chatty, but not quite sure how efficient ( we never got any feedback as to whether the towel rack was (going to be) fixed after we reported it broken.

Restaurant was ok ( and just about).
Breakfast was fine. Full Irish was good. The buffet is quite limited ( no jam, just marmalade, milk was warm rather than cold, the yoghurt pots were also not very cold)

We had dinner on one night and whilst it tasted very good, i do have a few comments.
We both had our eyes set on a particular starter that they didn't have, unfortunately the waitress didn't know so had to come back to us, which is never a good start.
The fact that this starter was not available on a Fri night at 7 PM raises the question whether it is a menu filler or whether they actually serve it at all.
The description of the food is not what you get. Chicken and barley broth had one barley grain. The colcannon potato cake, was actually cabbage with a crushed potato in it and the hot brownie with white chocolate sauce , was actually a room temperature brownie with brown chocolate sauce.

Now... like I said the food was good , but why set wrong expectations with your guests ? I would still have ordered the same food if it had been described properly, now I feel that kitchen was using short cuts..

The 2 night BB and dinner I don't feel was particularly good value as you end up paying supplements for 3 out of the 8 mains. They also have a dinner for 2 incl wine for £ 30 where the supplements don't seem to apply and includes the wine which is not included in the 2 night BBD deal.

I also found the restaurant staff to be less friendly than the general hotel staff.

I will definitely stay again at the hotel but will not be having dinner.

Room Tip: I'd say all rooms are excellent, some are just bigger than others.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple