“Good Hotel”
Review of Dukes at Queens

Dukes at Queens
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My Husband and I stayed here for a weekend as we were going to see James Morrison in the Ulster hall. Overall a good hotel at a reasonable price. The room was very large and clean with everything we needed. Our room was quiet as it was not at the front of the hotel as some reviewers have mentioned. Breakfast on the 1st day was lovely, well cooked and everything you needed. My husband had full Irish and I had scrambled eggs on toast and all was good.
The hotel was near bars and restaurants, including Mollys Yard and Beatrice Kennedy restuarant. Walking distance to everywhere which was great.

The only thing that spoiled our stay was:
On arrival we were told that breakfast was served 7 till 10 which was good as we were leaving at 7.45 on the Sunday morning to catch our flight. We came down just after 7 on the Sunday to be told that breakfast was served from 8 on a Sunday!! So we had no breakfast and no offer of anything. My husband asked for yoghurts and some teabags as the room supply was normally only 1 or 2 teabags which they gave us. It was a disappointing end to a good stay, beware if you go home early on a sunday

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 January 2012

just returned from 2 fabulous nights stay at this hotel. the rooms and bathrooms are large and very clean wonderful shower,huge bath and enormous comfy bed.
I travel regularly with work and in my opinion this hotel and the staff are far superior to many 5 star establishments.
Jenny and rian at reception are fantastic members of staff nothing is too much trouble they make everyone feel very welcome.
Fab bar with great atmosphere and decor too.
I wouldnt stay anywhere else in Belfast this hotel is a hidden gem we loved it!!!!

Room Tip: we had room 102 at the back of hotel very quiet no traffic noise at all
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed here for a business trip to Belfast - my first to this city. I was upgraded to a junior suite which was roomy and stylishly decorated and furnished. The hotel is located next to a very busy road junction, so it can get a little noisy at peak times. It was end of term so the streets outside in this student area got a lillte raucous, but nothing too disturbing. Breakfast was good, although service a little slow. The residents' lounge mentioned in the brochure is actually in the dining room which was being used for private functions in the evenings. The food was fairly good. I woud stay here again but bring earplugs next time

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kiltie57
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The hotel was very clean. I can not stress how very helpful and nice the staff are!! They always had a hello, and asked how your day was going. All the reception staff went out of their way to assist us in a very difficult time. We learned that my Mom had passed away while we were on Holiday and tried to make all arrangements for us not to have any worries leaving. I would like to thank them all!! Wonderful people working for this hotel, the hotel should be happy to have them employed.

Room Tip: Away from the bar area if on the weekend
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My sister and I stayed 2 nights here whilst in Belfast. We arrived from Dublin (Connolly station) to Belfast (Central station) via Irish rail (www.irishrail.ie) and then took a taxi to the hotel. We arrived a couple hours early prior to check-in and therefore had to wait, however the receptionist was helpful and friendly and arranged to have our bags put aside while we checked out the surrounding area for lunch until the room was ready (hotel is in a great location with street full of restaurants, salons, grocery store, pharmacy etc.)

Our standard room w/ 2 single beds (breakfast included) was surprisingly large - which was a plus! Room features: free Internet
ipod dock/flat screen t.v
ensuite bathroom w/ separate shower & tub
amenities -shampoo/soap/hair dryer
in room safe
separate sitting area
coffee maker

Location is quiet and safe, had a University feel as it is located near Queen's University. About a 10-15 minute walk to city centre/shopping area. As mentioned before, there is a variety of cafes/restaurants to choose from just literally across the street. Hotel is clean and tidy. Complimentary breakfast was delightful (you could choose from a menu of set breakfast options -along w/ small arrangement of toast,cereal & fruits). Staff were all friendly and helpful.

Overall, a very charming and quaint boutique hotel for a perfect night's sleep! We loved it here, both city and hotel were very inviting! Would definitely return!

Helpful note: My sister and I wanted to see the Giant's Causeway and booked a great & cheap tour through Allen's Tours (www.allensbelfastbustours.com). Tour was very leisurely and we had a lot of time to see the main attractions while also being treated to other sights. It was a great way to catch a glimpse of Northern Ireland. Highly recommended. They also do Belfast city tours as well but we didn't use this option, perhaps next time!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank p3z
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Good city centre location with easy walking distance to town. Staff very helpful and rooms very comfortable. Ipod dock a nice extra as is flat screen telly and huge bed!!!!!
Would certainly consider returning to this hotel

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Pluses:
The hotel decor was nice and modern. Breakfast was excellent - no complaints there. Rhiann and Michael at the front desk helped us and they were FANTASTIC. The beds were soft, there was surround sound and the room was quite large. The restaurant had live music till 9, which was actually quite good and then a mellow DJ after.

Minuses:
We got there early because of our flight and had to wait hours before we could check in. Understandably, check in isn't until 3 but I think we got there at 10 and had to wait three hours before we got to our room. It was a little frustrating. Also, there was no conditioner, body lotion or face cloths/flannels to wash with in the toilet. I think these things are normally included? Also there wasn't an iron or luggage rack. We were attending a wedding in town and it would have been nice to have these simple amenities.

Finally, we ate and had a few drinks at the bar, and our server was... he was just not good. We waited forever for our refills. A large party next to us (with a different server) waited five minutes. We waited thirty. When I complained about the wait, the manager just said, "I can only apologize."

So... if you come here... it's nice. I think you pay more than what it is actually worth. And be prepared to be patient. You'll do lots of waiting.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends