“Top Quality”
Review of Dukes at Queens

Dukes at Queens
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were very impressed with the friendly, efficient staff, beautiful and spacious room, location, breakfast - everything. Arguably the best 4-star hotel we've stayed at, and better in many respects than the 5-star the following night. Parking may be a bit tricky but, for those leaving early, College Park East - right outside the door - is a clearway from 8am to 5pm, but otherwise free. Perfect overnight parking!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pete D

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here with my wife, for a two day break 4th to 6th Feb, 2014. The hotel is really nice, in a very pleasant part of the city, near the Ulster museum,Botanic gardens, and University. A nice walk into the heart of Belfast too, with a taxi ride back if your energy levels are flagging.
Our deluxe room was well worth the slight supplement, being very well appointed, very comfortable and of great quality.
The reception staff are very pleasant and professional. They give a superb first impression to arriving guests. The bar/restaurant staff are also excellent, and very attentive.
Meals very nice, good choices for breakfast, and the dining area gives a sense of privacy, but allows an outside view of this locality. A nice bar, with a nice outside sitting area in warmer weather.
My wife fainted during an evening meal (completely due to our over exerting ourselves walking all the day around the city, and not eating enough) The restaurant staff, Zanna, and Avril were brilliant in helping us, and went above and beyond their duty. They are a credit to the hotel.
*****Also like to thank a lady also dining with friends who helped us too. I don't know her name, but I can't thank you enough. My wife is fit and well again now thankfully. ***********************
Any return trip to Belfast will definitely be at The Dukes!

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are quieter away from the traffic and student "traffic" If you have a f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed here due to a competition at Queens University, for 2 nights (24th-26th January). The reception staff were lovely. Very professional but chatty and welcoming.

I was very impressed with the decor and style of the room. It is very large, modern and had all the mod cons you would ever need. The only let down is that our Ipod docking station didn't work! We really wanted to use this whilst getting ready. (It was definately not working as a friend of ours in the other room who used his regulary came and checked we was doing it right). The shower was lovely and powerful and the bed was extremley comfortable.

The breakfast was of a high standard. There was a table with contintental options (cereals, fruit, juices and toast) and a menu were you could order a full breakfast. I cannot fault anything available.

On the Friday night we ate in the bar and that also was of a beautiful standard. I had pate to start and salmon for my main. You also got a bottle of wine between 2 for £15 per person. It was lovely and a very reasonable price.

The bar was really lively and had some good offers (2 cocktails for £6, 3 bottles of Bud for £5.50). However, other drinks were VERY expensive, so I would stick to the offers available. The bar staff were REALLY slow on the Sat night and it would take well over 5 minutes for them to make a cocktail. We learnt to order our drinks when we were half way through the one we already had!

Overall I would definately recommend and return!

Room Tip: The bar can be quite loud on a Saturday night - request a room on the 2nd floor if you want an early...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Having seen this hotel on laterooms.com at a very reasonable price, my boyfriend and I decided to stay at the beginning of January. We couldn't believe how beautiful the room we got was and how pleasant the staff were. We decided to stay another night where we had a delicious breakfast included each morning. Having enjoyed it so much we decided to stay again but we're put in a more cramped dark room. Being claustrophobic myself I didn't feel comfortable so we asked to move to another room. This was no trouble for the staff and we had a beautiful airy room within 5 minutes. A highly enjoyable stay and we will definitely be back!

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My partner and family stayed over Sat 28th December , as usual the room was excellent staff excellent but we were let down by the meal three of us had steak which was hardly edible > a
pity as everything else was 1st class even the breakfast was 1st class ::

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here recently for B&B having got a very good rate on Lastminute.com.
We were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel!
Positives:
- Room was large and lovely
- staff very welcoming and efficient
- tasty breakfast
Minor negatives:
- on street parking only
- room was cold when we arrived since A/C only works when the room is occupied.... Took a bit of time to warm up.
Major negatives:
- absolutely none! :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donalmcc
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from spending one night here with my husband. I had two nights initially booked with a specific company but needed to amend this to one night due to family bereavement. I was left on hold on phone for a half hour, no success. I rang hotel directly who said she would sort it. She rang me back to say that she had no success either and that I should cancel booking totally and book directly with them for the same rate which I did.
Check in at hotel was super efficient and friendly. Foyer seemed small and cluttered. Rooms were lovely, spacious , v modern and a huge comfie bed. Dinner in Claudines was tasty and good value. Lovely guy playing guitar in background. Breakfast was cooked to order and was top dollar also. All staff we met especially those front of house were super nice.
Internet wifi was non existant in bedrooms it was available in public areas. Parking is available on the streets. It is free but I was not comfortable with having my southern registered car on the street overnight.
The hotel is v close to Queens university and the botanic gardens which are worth a visit as is the Ulster museum which is also close by. It is a good 20 min walk into town. We went to see the titanic exhibition which was brilliant.
So overall lovely stay , but not quite full marks due to public areas let down, lack of secure parking and poor wifi coverage. I would stay here again though as the price was competitive.

• Stayed: January 2014