“Chic , sassy and stylish with a warm welcome.”
Review of Dukes at Queens

Dukes at Queens
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 28 May 2009

This hotel is a real find ! Its a fabuloosly comfortable boutique hotel that oozes sassy chic charm. The reception immediatly gives you an idea of the overall style to expect but the welcome and warmth that you receive as you arrive puts you at ease, relieved that this is not like other such hotels more concerned with image than service. The rooms are large and modern though luciously comfortable. The standard of quality for everything from the modern cutting edge decor, plump beds, deep bath and cutting edge entertainment systems was first rate as was the level of service. ( Nothing was too much trouble) We ate in the restaurant which was informal, modern and stylish. The food was excellent - fresh , beautifully cooked and presented and amazing value at £30 for two courses and a bottle of wine for 2 people !This made such a refreshing change from the usual hotel chain blandness that I have stayed in recently. I would love to visit again -but stay longer next time !

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 May 2009

I have to say I'm surprised by some of the other reviews on here about Dukes at Queen's. I had reason to stay there lately for work and while it has been refurbished very tastefully, there are definitely some teething problems.

On the good side, there were some nice staff members and the location couldn't be bettered. The bathroom in the room was fantastic and they had obviously spent money on the fixtures and fittings. The room had the biggest tv I've ever seen in a hotel which can be either a plus or a minus depending on your point of view. And it was great to be able to go for a run in Botanic Gardens in the morning.

However there were a number of minor niggles. There were definite problems with the loo off the bar (also restaurant!) and a not nice smell emerging from it. Because of the location on a busy road, the windows don't open. Which would be fine except the air con wasn't working. It was really hot even in April but will be a major problem in the summertime if it isn't sorted out. I also found the bed a bit soft but perhaps that's just me.

As for the food, I had pizza and while they do seem to have got the base ok it was a very Irish pizza, loads of industrial cheese. It was pretty standard hotel fare food which I guess is ok but they really should be aiming higher. Better to go for smaller portion sizes but better quality. Breakfast was much better although the waiter did leave a bit to be desired, it did feel a bit like the customers were interrupting his day.

I'd really like to be able to use this hotel again, the convenience of location and the fact that it managed to be quiet when it's in the heart of the student area really work in its favour. But they have to work on ironing out the teething problems.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Belfastgirl23
Reviewed 1 May 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel and with it being my first business trip on my own to belfast i was a tad down in the dumps!!!!!! but upon arrival i was warmly greeted buy a quite hadsome man [tomas] at the reception who as i arrived stood to greet me. he offered me to take a seat then, efficently checked me in. I had alot of quections related to belfast and he was only to happy to help me along the way. the room was to the highest quality and decorated lovely oh the bed was devine also. the breakfast was delicious a full irish totaly yummy, a real treat. once again reception staff were totaly helpful gettin me a taxi without any fuss!!!! and a simple but professional checkout.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Seriously our whole family loved Duke's hotel more then any other on our entire 2 and a half week vacation all over Europe. My husband, older daughter and I went to visit our younger daughter who is currently attending Queen's university and we stayed 4 nights. I was very impressed with the beautifully decorated rooms with the huge windows and white shutters. The bathroom, especially the bathtub was incredible. Our rooms were very spacious and quiet as well. The staff became like family as we stayed there at the beginning of our trip and returned for the last night of vacation while dropping our daughter back off at school. Reine helped us out alot with all sorts of arrangements and was very friendly and professional as well. Joanne was always there when we needed something and the tall, dark and handsome restaurant manager was also incredibly friendly and helpful. We did not find such an incredibly helpful and friendly staff anywhere else. The breakfast was absolutely "lovely", and I heard great comments in regards to their pizza. We highly recommend this hotel and it's wonderful staff!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2009

We nearly didn't book Dukes at Queens, based on previous Tripadvisor reviews, but the whole place has had a royal makeover, and we got a great deal at a fantastic hotel, plus an upgrade to a de-luxe room. We would have missed a very good hotel indeed.
Its near the University and Botanic Gardens and a 15 min walk from town with easy parking on the street outside. Welcome was really friendly and helpful, the staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was enjoyable.
Rooms are stylish and expensively appointed; huge soft bed, plasma TV, Villeroy&Boch sanitaryware in the bathroom, iPod station, all very classy and stylish - only complaint, no drawers to put your clothes in.
Nice bar and brasserie downstairs, good value 2 course meal and wine for two £30 all in.
We cannot emphasise enough how pleasant and helpful all the staff were, from manager, restaurant, reception staff and cleaning team - all really cheery and with useful suggestions for places to visit and things to do, local stuff you might not find in the guidebooks.
Give it a go, Dukes at Queens is the perfect base for a break in Belfast.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank secondopinion
Reviewed 18 April 2009

My sisters & I (3 of us) arrived Easter Sunday in Belfast. The B&B we had booked was terrible so we cancelled. To try and find something available on Easter was difficult to say the least. We found Dukes by accident. Joanne McCourt ,General Manager could not have been more helpful to our problem. She gave us her best rate which was VERY VERY good. Our rooms were 5 star, the breakfast was included was fantastic too. All the staff were so helpful. The Dukes have replaced another hotel so PLEASE do not think about what was here before - give The Dukes at Queens Boutique Hotel another try - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2009

As a former student of Belfast this hotel also doubled as a nightclub/bar for the local student population - and it wasn't one of the better ones (see some of the older reviews - pre 2009). So when I was told I would staying in this hotel (not my call) I was very dubious....my how times have changed.

I have paid a lot more money to stay in places that aren't half as good. Staff were extremely friendly, the room was fantastic and once the door was closed I couldn't hear any other noise from anywhere (either outside or in inside the hotel). The breakfast was very very good (and again, the staff were very friendly but on that particular worrying I was nursing a sore head so it wasn't as welcome!).

I was so impressed I took the missus and her family there for dinner a week later. Again, top top marks.

Well done whoever is behind this venture!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends