“Little gem in a great location”

The Crescent Townhouse
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The Crescent Townhouse was recommended to me by a colleague, and although I am usual wary of smaller hotels for business trips, preferring the anonymity and smooth service of the larger corporate ones, I was persuaded to give it a try.

I am very glad I did because this is a very well-run establishment representing excellent value - I paid £75 for a double room (for single occupancy) with breakfast - in a good part of town, very near the University and various cultural facilities.

The room (Room 101 in fact, to my amusement) was very comfortable, well appointed, and accessed through a library/lounge which was a lovely space to sit and relax. Moulton and Brown toiletries are always welcome and the facilities for the business traveller - room safe, trouser press, ironing board etc. - also good. One slight carp which is I don't expect to have to pay for WiFi nowadays but I can understand that for smaller independent hotels the costs of providing it free of charge to guests may be prohibitive - hence the charges here.

I met my colleagues from Belfast in the bar by the restaurant (the other bar is more pub-like and hence pretty busy and a little noisy) we shared an excellent bottle of Australian Pinot Grigio for a pretty reasonable £18; two of us ate dinner and with a further bottle of wine this came to under £60 for two for two courses, not bad price at all for what is good, if not especially exciting, food. Breakfast too was a high standard and one thing which stood out throughout my stay was the excellent service, staff very genuine and friendly without being overly so, quick to help with any queries and attentive at all times.

I was sufficiently impressed that knowing I would be attending a conference in the Autumn at the Arts Centre up the road, I booked at Suite and two rooms for colleagues on departure - and was pleasantly surprised to find that they had given me the Suite at the same price as a standard double as a complimentary upgrade - the sort of service which makes a hotel like this stand out.

Room Tip: Have a look at the Suites too...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Crescent Townhouse

Reviewed 6 June 2011

Arrived at door hoping for a room, had tickets for a gig in the empire opposite and decided to spring the night stay on my husband having hidden the case in the car

We were told all the regular rooms were full but we could have a pick of suites at a discounted price of £80 we were then given the keys to help us decide, we chose "o Neill" as it had a separate lounge area but the rest looked all very nicely furnished.

We were then asked if we had
dinner plans and offered a total stay price including a meal each (1 main course & glass of wine) for the bargain price of £89 all in,

Hubby was delighted, had a few drinks in bar twelve which was quiet & had a lovely mix of people. Dinner then in the metro restaurant was very delicious,
Good mix of meals on the menu, I'd the fishcakes (2) very large which were the nicest I'd ever tasted, beautiful big pieces of salmon & White fish in a very light breadcrumb and served with a delicious beetroot strip salad
Hubby opted for a huge burger which was seasoned and served with hand cut chips, lovely & refreshing to see you wernt dished out the usual blanch pack chips that now appear everywhere,

Great night sleep in a very comfy bed, the suite overlooked the main botanic station but was very quiet, we enjoyed a lovely coffee in the large window sill and people watched both that evening & nxt morning,
Breakfast again no complaints whatsoever, we were greeted shown to our tables and served very quickly, we even got a very cheery morning from the band who also stayed the night too.

A great all rounder of a hotel, staff were all lovely

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Its hard not to gush about this place. No faults whatsoever! Rooms were spotless and comfortable. I stayed in the Chelsea Suite and it was both special and homely. Lots of space in the bedroom, huge comfy bed, large flat screen tv, 2 big comfy armchairs and plenty of storage. The bathroom was also large, big walk in shower and a seperate roll top bath. Molten Brown goodies for both shower and bath, hand cream included, nice touch! Hairdryer in the room was great, very powerful, no need to pack my own hairdryer on future visits.

I got a nosey in one of the other rooms too, a smaller but very nice bedroom and a good sized bathroom with an extra large shower, no bath.

Staff at reception, in the bar and in the restaurant were very friendly. The restaurant menu had a great selection and 2 special deals on the early dinner menu, again with good selections. The food was top notch and very reasonably priced.

This little gem of a place even has a few designated smoking rooms on the top floor, quite unheard of nowadays.

Two things to point out, not faults tho', there is no lift in the hotel and 2 flights of stairs, so anyone with young children or a lot of luggage beware! (help was offered at reception) and the hotel is situated facing a very popular bar which has live bands at the weekends, also a lot of eateries and 2 taxi ranks nearby so at the weekend the place is buzzing and the noise carries on until well after 2am

Last but no means least, a special mention to Robert, (hope ive got the name right!) the friendliest receptionist in Belfast!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We have just returned after staying at the Crescent Townhouse. We booked the hotel for the 1 night B&B and evening meal offer because although we live in Belfast we were going to see a band at the Empire across from the hotel and felt that by the time we had dinner and paid for taxis into and home from Belfast this was a really good offer, we were not disappointed! The young man at reception on arrival was very friendly, as were the other staff at the hotel, our room was lovely and clean and at the front of the hotel. The food in the Metro bistro was delicious as was the breakfast, which you can have brought to your room for a small charge.

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough, we're already planning our next visit!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CiaraDBelfast
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I stayed here for two nights on business in may after a previous visit in December 2010. I travel a lot and really rate this hotel for it's friendly and efficient service and it's value for money. The food is excellent, well priced and served with a smile and some chat and my room was amongst the best I've stayed in during the last 12 months. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I stayed at the crescent town house this week and was amazed at the level of service for the size of the hotel! The staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough 2 help u!! I was really impressed with my room. I stayed in the oneill suite and the room was very spacious and clean! My only complaint would be that there was a slight noice from the busy botonic ave but it wasn't enough 2 upset my experience! The best part of this stay was the hotels restaurant Metro. The food was 2 die for! The menu catered for a wide range of people. when I asked would the chef make me a creamy mushroom sauce which wasn't on the menu there was no fuss made about it and my waitress cara said the chef would be more than happy 2 do it!! Which he did and it was beautiful!!! The whole meal was beautiful esp the deserts, the brownie was the best I have ever had! So all in all this little hotel is a gem and I will be back when I'm next in belfast!! It's the place to stay in Belfast!!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 12 March 2011

I stayed at the Crescent Townhouse Hotel on a business trip to Belfast last week. I have stayed there before and each time have had an enjoyable stay. This time, however, the level of service from two staff in particular - Matthew the manager and Lindsey (who was working on reception and in the restaurant at breakfast) was absolutely outstanding.
I had been travelling quite a lot and had put my back out on the various planes and trains that I had taken prior to getting to Belfast. Matthew checked me in and carried my suitcase up to the room for me - making sure that it was put somewhere that I'd be able to get at it easily with my bad back. The room was lovely and the bed very comfortable (although I did have one of the rooms with a window opposite the Empire bar - while the noise from the bar didn't bother me much, it may be an idea to request a room on the other side of the building if you are a light sleeper). The Molton Brown products in the bathroom were a lovely touch.
As mentioned above, however, the main thing that I want to write this review about was the service. I went out to dinner after checking in and the battery went on my mobile phone. Because my fiance was worried about my back and couldn't get me on my mobile he called the hotel (quite a few times) - Matthew took his calls each time and went out of his way to try to find me - going up to my room himself to see if I was ok. When I got in from dinner he was waiting at reception to give me all of the messages from my fiance and seemed genuinely worried that I was ok. My fiance said that he was really lovely on the phone (well he used more manly words than that - but that was the gist!).
The next morning Lindsey was on reception and in the breakfast room (although Matthew was still working - he must have had a 24 hour shift!) - she was really helpful and sweet and I had a lovely chat with her at the end of the day when I came back to pick up my suitcase to catch the train.
When I arrived home the following day I realised that I had left my phone charger (not having much luck with that phone!) and more importantly ALL of my makeup and toiletry bag in the hotel. I called them up and spoke with Lindsey - who went out of her way to go and look for my charger and makeup, which she found - and then made sure that it was posted to me recorded delivery!
I can't emphasise enough just how courteous and helpful both Matthew and Lindsey were - I would definitely return to the Crescent Townhouse again, if only for the service!! Luckily the rooms, food and Bar 12 are all great too - as well as the location, right in the university area. It's definitely my hotel of choice for Belfast, and I have already recommended it to a number of friends who are travelling there soon for a wedding.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business