“Poor facilities and service.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Crescent Townhouse

The Crescent Townhouse
Ranked #26 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Poor facilities and service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel had no lift beyond the first floor and we had to carry our bags up three flights of stairs. On leaving, when I asked for a porter to bring them down the young girl on reception said she would do it as there were none. Our room had no drawer storage, was small and backed onto a nightclub with very load music till the early hours of the morning. We are frequent users of Best Western and, therefore, felt no need to make special requests and so we ended up being tucked out of the way in rooms which, at the weekend, were not fit for purpose due to the noise. As two couples we both spent the weekend climbing up and down stairs even though we are all in our sixties. This hotel did not live up to the standard we are used to expecting from the Best Western. We were refused a complimentary meal in the restaurant but offered a bottle of wine and free upgrade if we chose to return. Most certainly not!

On the Sunday we returned at 4.00pm to find that our room had not been serviced. When I enquired why I was told that they were getting the vacated rooms ready for new visitors first.

When we told a young lady in Belfast where we were staying she replied that she thought it was a B&B! Enough said.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are quieter and remember that the lift only goes to the first floor.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Wilkomartin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Do try to get a quiet room, those facing onto Botanic Ave can be noisy. The decor is lovely, very clean and lovely staff. Book using the hotel's own website for the best deals. I will definitely be back

Room Tip: Go for the back of the house, the Empire Pub across the way is a lively spot.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Ellon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay and would recommend this hotel. Everyone very friendly. Could not do enough for you. Breakfast was lovely. Great choice. Our room faced Botanic Avenue, so plenty going on, but when you closed the window, could not hear a thing. I am not a good sleeper, but I had 3 great night's sleep.

Room Tip: I had a disabled room. Could not fault it.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Fantastic rooms, breakfast was great. Really enjoyed my few days away. Only bad side was the noise outside as this mean sleepless nights and early morning wake ups. All in all enjoyed my stay and would consider a return trip.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have just returned from a 4 night stay and I would recommend this hotel. It is a 15 minute walk from the centre of Belfast and handy for the Botanic Gardens. The rooms were a decent size and comfortable, although the bathroom fittings were missing some screws. The dining room was modern with a good choice from the breakfast menu. The bar was also very stylish, although the cocktails were a bit pricey (Madison's next door were better value). The staff were all very friendly and helpful at all times, and we were made to feel welcome, which is always nice.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is the second time I've stayed at the Crescent Townhouse, but the first time since it became part of the Best Western group. I really think it's a wonderful little gem of a hotel and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Located on Botanic Avenue only 10-15 minute's stroll from the Europa bus terminal on Glengall Street, the Crescent Townhouse is nestled among an array of coffee chains, quirky independent cafes and restaurants, and bars, all on a tree-lined street close to the university area. This, of course, leads to some street noise at night, but on both occasions I've happened to stay at this hotel it's been Saturday night and although there was some noise, it didn't last past midnight and didn't disturb me.

The rooms are gorgeous and unlike a few other hotels I could mention, actually feature the decorative cushions, throws and wall art you see showcased on the website - imagine that! Everything feels as new and is of high quality, including the towels, amenities and tea/coffee tray, and the flat screen TV offers plenty of channel options. Wifi is free and breakfast is included in the rate. What I really like about the property is that even though it's small, it offers facilities normally found in bigger hotels, such as a room service menu and a quiet 'business centre' on the first floor that although I didn't use, seemed to have desks and internet stations for guests.

The stand out for me at this property is the staff. I arrived just after noon, hot and exhausted, hoping I'd get a chance to shower and change before the event I was in Belfast for began at 2pm. I basically begged the front desk agent to let me check in, telling her I'd take any room and pay any amount, and to her credit she made a special effort to get me into a room immediately at no extra charge.

My only complaint is that I was the victim of the scourge of hotels the world over: my room service breakfast order sheet was not collected from the door (room 207, I think) the night before, despite me leaving it out there before midnight when the deadline was 3:00am. When I discovered it was still hanging there the next morning and therefore knew my breakfast wouldn't be coming, I decided to duck out for a quick coffee instead (although when I told the front desk agent about it, she immediately offered to collect it there and then and have my breakfast sent up as soon as possible) and then, as the breakfast was included in the rate, it couldn't be deducted even though I didn't have it. This is a common occurrence in hotels though and I wouldn't hold it against them.

All in all, this is a pretty, comfortable, convenient, reasonably-priced hotel with the feeling of a small property and the features of a much larger one. It's also in a great location, within walking distance of the city centre but not in the thick of it, with lovely cafes and restaurants right on your door. I'd definitely stay here again and will recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Guests should be aware that this property does not have an elevator.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank catherineh1982
Coleraine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel for an overnight stay as we were going to a concert in the odyssey
couldn't fault the hotel from start to finish,staff were very friendly,room was spotless and modern and very spacious
Enjoyed a few drinks in the hotel bar before we headed out
Breakfast the next morning was lovely,especially as it didn't start being served until 9am

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple