“Great service”

The Crescent Townhouse
Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Very happy with our stay at the Crescent, but be prepared for sleepless nights if you are not used to living in the city. Great spacious room,very good service, friendly staff, adequate breakfast and very good evening meals in the restaurant if you choose to eat there at reasonable prices. .

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the high street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed there twice now. Booked the suite separate bedroom and dining area..real cosy and the breakfast was lovely. .restaurants shops and bars close by.take a wee skoot into filthy mc nastys lovely outdoor area..

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here for a weekend break in Belfast. The hotel is well sited in the University quarter and is about a 10 minute to the edge of the city centre. All the staff with the exception of one were very professional, courteous and attentive. There is an elegant resident lounge with computer available. There is no hotel car park but there was on street car parking within a couple of minutes which was reasonably convenient. However the hotel is noisy because of the all the local street traffic and it is opposite the Empire which is always busy. Nonetheless a good location in the heart of a busy area. This hotel has only been in the Best Western Group this year and while it is a good addition there are some areas that did not meet my expectations of a Best Western hotel and especially so as I am Crown Club member. While this next point is nothing to do with the hotel it is worth mentioning. I booked through the dedicated best western reservation service and while doing so the room I was looking to book got taken and this left a "disabled" access room. I asked reservations to make a note for a room change as disabled facilities are not needed. Upon check in I asked if I had been actioned and either a change of room or an upgrade and the receptionist did not know if this had been done and did not give the impression that she knew that I was a Crown club member. She advised that we could have a change of room for the Friday and Sunday night but not the Saturday night. Hence we ended up with the disabled access room. This room was OK but has its own issues. Room 103 is OK as a double room but it must be challenging to use for a disabled person. The shower cubicle is small and all other features do not seem helpful to someone who is disabled eg - the mirror is in the most inaccessible part of the room (making the use of the hair dryer awkward); - some electrical sockets are at a lower height. Other issues with this room are: - the TV is not on swivel bracket and is at an angle to the bed; - the laptop safe was locked and unable to be used; - The shelf in the shower was broken; - the shower curtain was incomplete so the floor became very wet and slippery; - the sink was very small making it awkward to fill up the kettle; - the tap on the sink was not working correctly as the flow could not be increased; - the bulb on the right hand side bed table lamp was not working; - there is a steel lip between the floor tiles and carpet in the ensuite that protudes and I cut my toe on it; - the ensuite sliding door sticks; - the suitcase stand was broken and its replacement was also broken; - the music from the restaurant below can be quite loud as the loudspeakers are located in the ceiling. Some of the above were reported to reception but they were not actioned. The shelf in the ensuite being broken was a real inconvenience when showering. I had to get the wifi modem/router rebooted before I could access the internet. The toiletries were not replenished on Sunday and I had to ask reception to arrange replacements only to be asked if they were needed as the guy who serviced the room said it had been done. Such confrontation towards a resident does not seem appropriate. The bar is lively and has some good drink deals. We ordered our first round of drinks on Friday and after waiting 10 minutes to get served it took another 10 minutes to get the bill assigned to our room as the staff did not know how to do it and needed the manager to assist. Breakfast is where there is a real issue. On Saturday and Sunday breakfast does not start until 9am which I thought was a little late especially on Saturday. The breakfast selection is the most limited that I have ever come across at a Best Western hotel in the UK. There is no decaff tea available and no gluten free bread. If yoghurt is required then one gets a couple of tea spoonfuls in a bowl eg one does not get a full pot: the yoghurt is purchased from the shop across the road and on Saturday the guy in the restaurant purchased four pots only! On Saturday morning there was no fruit salad available. Marmite was not available at all. If I had known this beforehand then I would have booked a bed only rate and eaten in the local cafes of which there are plenty. I have always been asssured by Best Western that booking direct gives me the best deal. However on Sunday night this was not the case as the hotel offers rooms for £60 per room B&B and I paid £70. I was not impressed by this. So in conclusion a decent hotel to stay at but buyer beware of things like attention to detail, breakfast and rate available.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have previously stayed at The Crescent Townhouse with a fantastic visit each time. We decided to stay again and oh boy am I disappointed!

On arrival we were given room 210, upon entering the room it was a lovely spacious room with ensuite bathroom. As I was unpacking I suddenly heard the lock in the door being operated and a member of staff walked into our room unannounced. She explained she was there to replace a strip of plastic on the bottom of the shower door. I was rather taken aback that she had just used a master key to enter the room without checking to see if we were happy for her to do so.

After she had left I sat on the edge of the bed to finish unpacking and discovered that the double bed was made up with 2 single mattresses, one of which was so worn it might as well not been on the bed. I made my way to reception to speak to staff about the bed and also the other member of staff walking in unannounced.

The receptionist was very apologetic on both counts. She stated that there was no way she could replace the mattress on the bed and as she only had one room available, she would have to remove it from sale before she could offer it to ourselves.

After waiting for the receptionist to complete whatever was necessary to block the one remaining room, she took me to see it. On entering I could see that it was about a third of the size of the room we were already in and it faced the back of the hotel. I knew from reviews here that the rear of the hotel can be noisy so I declined the room even though we had a faulty bed.

I asked the receptionist if I could go and book dinner in the Metro kitchen for that evening and she said she would take me in to check. Staff in the Metro kitchen were able to book me in for 1830.

We arrived down for dinner at 1830 to be told that there was no such booking for us. I said that I had booked it with the receptionist beside me and that it was definitely made. I then mentioned that we were resident in the hotel, lo and behold the booking was found!
Dinner was from the early bird menu, which did have a limited choice, but as we weren't after a huge meal, we made our choices. Before ordering my dinner, a steak, I asked the waitress if mine could be cooked blue as I know that a lot of restaurants refuse to cook steak so lightly. She went off to check with the chef, came back a few moments later and assured me that it was no problem.

Our dinner arrived and my husbands was fine. Mine however was not. My steak was cooked at best medium to well done and at worst well done. No one came to check back on the food we had ordered, if they had I would have pointed out my steak was over cooked compared to my order. We were asked at the till did we enjoy our meal, considering most of mine was left on the plate I said no and explained why. There were surprised looks and the waitress was very apologetic, I assured her that it wasn't her fault as she hadn't cooked my steak personally. After speaking to the manager, we had 20% taken off our bill.

Next morning we arrived for breakfast, our order was taken a few minutes after we arrived down at 0920. Our breakfast arrived to the table at 1000. Yet again my husbands was fine, cooked to perfection. My poached eggs were like rubber. The waitress checked on us this time and asked if all was ok with our food. I said no and pointed out the distinct lack of consistency between both breakfasts and the cooking of the eggs. She offered to take it away and have it re-cooked and at this point I said I had waited for 40 minutes from ordering to receiving it so I didn't want to have to wait again. The waitress said the chef was extremely busy in the kitchen that morning with breakfast (there were 12 people having breakfast and the table behind us had send back their breakfast also)

We returned to our room to pack and check out. On checking out we weren't asked if we had enjoyed our stay unsurprisingly!

We have actually booked to back in August and had that trip planned before this one. I'm now no longer sure if I wish to return given the very poor service received.

Room Tip: Check your mattress for wear and tear!
1  Thank arkonite
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Enjoyed 3 nights here while attending a wedding staff couldn't have been more helpful. handy for the centre - 10 mins walk to Central Hall, 15 mins to Titanic Quarter, 5 mins walk to botanical gardens and university. A bit noisy on fri and Sat nights due to light nights (June), good weather and bars round about. Also no aircon and no lift but only two floors. Breakfast fresh cooked to order. Overall a great little hotel and a very good value stay in central Belfast

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have stayed at the Crescent townhouse twice now and enjoyed it both times. It's rather quaint. There is no lobby although there is a lovely living room on the second floor. The rooms are fine. No refrigerator though. Right on Botanic Avenue with lots of shops and restaurants in the neighborhood. Very convenient to Queens University, and about a 15 minute walk to the city center. It does have a nice bar and very nice breakfast restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel had no lift beyond the first floor and we had to carry our bags up three flights of stairs. On leaving, when I asked for a porter to bring them down the young girl on reception said she would do it as there were none. Our room had no drawer storage, was small and backed onto a nightclub with very load music till the early hours of the morning. We are frequent users of Best Western and, therefore, felt no need to make special requests and so we ended up being tucked out of the way in rooms which, at the weekend, were not fit for purpose due to the noise. As two couples we both spent the weekend climbing up and down stairs even though we are all in our sixties. This hotel did not live up to the standard we are used to expecting from the Best Western. We were refused a complimentary meal in the restaurant but offered a bottle of wine and free upgrade if we chose to return. Most certainly not!

On the Sunday we returned at 4.00pm to find that our room had not been serviced. When I enquired why I was told that they were getting the vacated rooms ready for new visitors first.

When we told a young lady in Belfast where we were staying she replied that she thought it was a B&B! Enough said.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are quieter and remember that the lift only goes to the first floor.
1  Thank Wilkomartin