“Stay Elsewhere if Showering is a Priority!”

The Crescent Townhouse
Ranked #26 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Dublin, Ireland
“Stay Elsewhere if Showering is a Priority!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2008

A long weekend in Belfast in December is a great idea - the shopping is great and the German Christmas market really adds to the festive atmosphere. This was my second year to visit over the first weekend in December. Last year I stayed at the Tara Lodge (fabulous), but this year I decided to try somewhere different.

I picked the Crescent Townhouse as it seemed to be of a similar standard to the Tara Lodge, and is located just around the corner from it. However, two properties could not be more different.

On arriving at the Crescent I was impressed by the exterior - a Georgian type townhouse. The small reception is located between the entrances to the bar and the Metro restaurant. Check in was fine, though there is no lift and we had to lug our bags right up to the top floor.

Good first impressions vanished however, the moment we opened our bedroom door. The spacious room was dimly lit, with a tiny double bed, unbelievably small tv and a VERY pungent odour of cigarette smoke. I then noticed that our room was labelled 'designated smoking room'. This irked me as I hadn't requested a smoking room - though I wouldn't have been hugely bothered if we had been allocated one, as rooms do tend to be aired after each guest. But this room smelt like a party had been held there - a party which went on for weeks. And as I had a heavy cold, the last thing I wanted was to continually inhale stale smoke.

My disappointment was compounded when my boyfriend turned on the shower (a fitted shower over the bath) and informed me that there was very little water pressure. I went in to check and discovered that there was in fact only a trickle of water coming from the shower, with a minimum of pressure. Definitely not enough to shower or to wash one's hair, and the shower-head was also not removable.

I decided to go to the reception immediately and mention our problems as I was sure that there would be an easy solution - perhaps someone would offer to air the room, or get a plumber out to look at the shower. However the young woman manning reception treated my enquiry with disdain, and informed me that the smell was my own fault for not booking a non-smoking room, and then stated that "no one else" had ever complained about the shower, which I found very hard to believe. She did however offer to show me the only other room available that weekend, their disabled room. I viewed this room but decided that it would not be suitable for us, given that it was much smaller and also fitted with all of the items which make a disabled person's life easier - rails on the wall, a special shower, no bath etc. Once I turned down this room, no other attempt to help us was made. I asked the receptionist to be sure to let the manager know of my complaint and I returned to our room feeling very let down, and contemplated checking out but realised that our options would be very limited on a busy Friday in Belfast.

Things improved slightly the next day - after housekeeping serviced the room the smell dissapeared which made the room a lot more pleasant. However the shower never improved and I had to spend £20 on a wash and blow-dry as there was no way to wash my hair in the trickle of water from the shower.

During our stay we ate in the Metro restaurant which I could not fault - a high standard of food and impeccable service. We also had a drink in the bar which seems to be quite popular locally.

On checkout on the Monday the daytime receptionist asked was everything ok with our stay? I told her again about the smell in the room and the shower - she seemed to already be aware of our previous complaint and said that a plumber was coming that day. Sadly this was of little use to us as we had already spent our three nights at the hotel. Given the acknowledgement of the problem it then disgusted me to be presented with the bill and to see that there had been no discount to make up for the lack of a functioning shower during our stay. We paid and left, being sure to tell the receptionist that we would be returning to the Tara Lodge on our next visit!

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Bathroom inadequate - shower not functioning properly. Room also not fully aired - reeked of smoke.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheSnakeCharmer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Co.Antrim N. Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

We went to the opening concert of the Queen's Festival in the Waterfront Hall last Friday evening and on Saturday enjoyed a performance of 'Juno and the Paycock' at the Grand Opera House. We choose to stay in the Crescent as it is in a very central position in Belfast city. We were a bit anxious about the noise level as this seemed to cause some concern to other guests who had stayed there but we can honestly say we were not disturbed at all. Our room - 101 - was on the first floor directly opposite the Empire which is a bar and comedy club place frequented by lots of young people but the double glazed windows and the heavy curtains worked a treat and we heard only a little muffled sound and definitely not enough to cause a nuisance.

The room was fine but a bit dark - lights were needed at all times. However it was well supplied with a hospitality tray which included bottled water and biscuits as well as the usual tea and coffee. A nice touch we thought. The Molton Brown toiletries were welcome and very generous, providing mouthwash and body lotion as well as shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap and shower cap. The layout in the bathroom was rather strange with a large shower and sink but no storage space or hooks. In fact the free-standing towel rail was not IN the bathroom at all but immediately OUTSIDE the door, in the bedroom!

Breakfast was rather a hit and miss affair with a very limited choice of cereals and fruit juice. There was no fresh fruit or bread on offer and we had to ask for toast. The cooked food was tasty and well enough presented and the staff were just ok. We had intended having dinner in the hotel but were put off by the breakfast experience and went to Speranza's on Saturday night. The food there was delicious as was the meal we had in the restaurant in the Waterfront Hall on Friday. We would thoroughly recommend this as a place to have a meal, especially before a concert. Staff were pleasant and helpful and at £16.95 for a 2 course meal it was very good value.

Would we stay here again? Yes I think so but there is room for improvement.

• Liked — central position, abundance of good quality tolietries
  • Disliked — light switches very inconveniently placed, room always dark
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

We stayed in this hotel for one night only, thankfully. We booked an executive room and were given the Chelsea suite, a large room with a large bed, attractive décor, flat screen TV (but not many channels). Bathroom also large, and appears to have been renovated quite recently, however, the grouting in the shower cubicle was mouldy already. Which is actually easy to clean away but maybe is not a priority for the staff... The reception girl did not smile at any point, either when we arrived or left. And she certainly didn’t ask if we had enjoyed our stay…. The breakfast waitress was just as miserable, and seemed to rather be somewhere else. The Ulster fry was greasy with the blackpudding dry as bootleather, it had clearly been lying on the hotplate for some time (and we were the first guests for breakfast that morning). Just forget the breakfast and go somewhere else.
The worst part for us however, was that the hotel has a public bar (Bar 12) which turns into a disco on Friday and Saturday nights. And Bar 12 is located, guess it, right underneath the Chelsea suite…. If you would like to be able to get some sleep then don’t stay in this hotel, on a weekend at least. The disco was so loud the bed actually vibrated with the music (so earplugs did not help either). And all the screeching students were standing outside the bar underneath our window smoking all night and shouting, as drunk students tend to do (Victorian single glazing, so it didn’t make the blindest bit of difference closing them). I am not a light sleeper and in my opinion noise in a hotel is something you have to accept, if it comes from a place next door or opposite, which the hotel cannot control for. If it comes from within the hotels premises then it is something completely different. I am sure this bar is a great source of income for the hotel, but then it should be combined with proper soundproofing and double glazing, so as not to disturb the paying guests, who also provide income for the hotel. I don’t pay good money to stay in a hotel and be kept awake all night. We are already planning our next visit to Belfast, which is a great city, but we will definitely not be staying in this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Being kept awake all night, miserable staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happybongo
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2008

The reviews are a little generous in my opinion. Some of the rooms and bathrooms needed some maintenance, my room stank of stale smoke even though I asked for non-smoking and the breakfast service was simply poor. It could be great but just didn't hit the mark for me.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank Lolalula
County Antrim
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here on Friday 25th July and I have to say that it was a beautiful experience. We have probably stayed in all of the hotels in Belfast, including, Tensquare, Malmaison, Radisson, Hilton etc and The Townhouse was one of the favourites. We chose to stay here as we fancied a night out in Belfast without the hassle of getting taxis home.
Upon arriving there was one hiccup in which the room key did not work and this seemed to be the case for a couple of other guests, however this was dealt with immediately. In room 101 there is a lovely touch of a small stair case leading to the average sized bedroom. Massive wardrobe and full length mirror. Purple drapes, flowers and decoration with an amazingly comfortable bed. The bathroom is lovely and there are plentiful towels and Molton Brown Toiletries. Coffee, tea, biscuits and water were waiting which I thought was a nice touch. However there is no mini bar which was one down side. This room also looked out onto the street and for some people who do want noise this may be a problem. However we had no problems and actually loved looking out at the hustle and bustle.
We decided to eat in the restaurant and it was lovely, the service was excellent and friendly. After we decided to go to the club next door which was not packed and we enjoyed our night. Breakfast choice was limited however this did not bother us and my boyfriend loved the omelette.
I have to stay that we would not hesitate to stay here again. We usually stay in the premier inn when wanting a night out in Belfast however after this experience I think that we may become regulars at this hotel. The weekend deal was amazing value and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — No mini Bar
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HotelLove
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

We just spent a three day weekend at The Crescent Townhouse and we must say it is just a gem in the city of Belfast. It is a beautiful old building with comfortable rooms in a rich purple. Lovely window seats draped in heavy purple velvet, hardwood floors and bathrooms with contemporary vessel sinks make the rooms special. The bathrooms are stocked with Moulton Brown products and are immaculate. Breakfast is excellent. The waitresses are all lovely and friendly. The desk staff went out of their way to help.

A bit of noise from a nght club across the street but not unbearable. The Metro restaurant on the first floor is a real treat. We planned on eating there just one night but it was so good we had dinner there on our last night also.

• Liked — It is so comfortable and friendly
  • Disliked — There is a bit of noise at night
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Leeandmarg
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

Stayed in the Crescent Townhouse for two nights for a weekend trip to Belfast. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and were full of recommendations of where to go and what to see. Rooms were clean and tastefully decorated and the bathroom was full of mini Molton Brown supplies.

Breakfast was excellent, with a substantial fry-up and great service.

My only complaint would be the location as its opposite a very noisy bar that seemed to go on well into the early hours. This wasn't such an issue for us as we were out anyway but for those wanting an early night, this may not be the place to get it!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends