“Great place and amazing standard”

Beechlawn House Hotel
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is by far one of the better hotels I have stayed in, had the chicken, mash and Tabasco onions for dinner which was delicious especially the peppered sauce, afterwards had a sweet dreams hot chocolate which I really enjoyed. My room was comfy and I had a great night sleep, couldn't fault it. The next morning i had the scrambled egg and toast for breakfast and it went down a treat.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank 34smite

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I booked a two night break for myself and my husband. The location was good a bit outside the city but buses and trains went regular so there was ease of access that way. The hotel decor was a bit outdated but nevertheless it was clean.
Our room was nice and clean and basic the bathroom a little small but we were not expecting a whole lot for the money we paid.
Breakfast was not great a little lacking in variety.
We went for dinner in the restaurant one evening and one of the dishes were cold and tasted off but the waitress never took much notice of our complaint.
The hotel was good in regards to a quick break it was clean and overall the staff were helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I had lunch here with my mother and son last week, the waitress serving us was very uninterested and didn't smile one. She made us feel like we were 'putting her out' several times by asking for things she had forgotten to bring to our table. Rather than asking the waitress for the bill I asked the receptionist who was beside our seating area and she was of the same nature and really just didn't want to be bothered by us. This was so disappointing because although the food is a bit on the pricey side for lunch it is delicious and therefore I don't mind paying more but after this visit I won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Kelly_168
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Chose to stay here as it was close to Drumbo Park and great value for money.
Hotel was adequate for a night away and it was a bonus to get a smoking room for a change !!
Would stay again if in this area.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank rhonda r
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I'm a 17 year old student and me and my peers had arrange a pre-formal in November for the 21st of March 2014. When I personally booked I was in my school uniform and was 16 years old. As I had the whole amount of £300 in my hand to pay for the room (not including DJ or lights) they took the money and never asked what age I was or clarified that there would be an age restriction all was fine. Two days before the event was to take place me and my fellow peer rang the hotel to confirm how many were attending. The manageress spoke directly to me and told me exactly that she knew that there would be some under 18's (as it is a PRE-formal to raise money for our actual school formal) and that everyone would be ID AT THE BAR. That was fine we completely understood that 17 year old should not be served alcohol. Then on the day off the event me and 4 of my fellow peers had arrived 2 hours earlier to set the lights and DJ decks up (which we paid for ourselves). It was only 10 minutes before 110 people were suppose to arrive at the venue when the 'acting manger' only informed us then that every guest will be individually searched and will have to provide ID to prove that they were 18. Furiously I tried to explain the situation and the acting manger rang the manageress whom was off duty at the time to see if they could follow through what I thought and was told that would be happening (ID'ing at the bar). The manageress denied everything trying to cover everything up and shut down our pre-formal. I then asked the manger why was I aloud to book it at 16 and I'm aloud in? and he explained that every person that is to attended the event underage would have to be accompanied by an adult. I then began to question why was I aloud to be in without an adult, I KNOW WHY because I provide them with 300 pound and they didn't care what age I was the just wanted our money! I had 110 17-19 year olds torturing me outside the hotel demanding their money back and they never gave me ANY money back.One of the girls behind the counter asked me was anything such as "ID at the bar and door" been wrote on the receipt and I showed the receipt and said no. I was then advised to come back the next day to speak directly to the manageress. I came up and spoke and she said that she had not cancelled the pre formal ALTHOUGH her staff were advised to let NONE of our guests in and to also to close the bar and take the lights and DJ equipment down. She also said that she advised me on the phone that everyone would be ID'd at the bar which was untrue and she even got a fellow staff member to back this story up by saying that he had heard her on the phone. This woman has no proof that she said this other than her own word trying to cover her own back. I never signed a contract to say that I knew this was going to happen, all I signed was the receipt to confirm the MONEY. I was then told that the hotel USUALLY let's 17 year old in on account of it being a PRE-formal and that people would be ID'd at the BAR, but a few weeks ago the policy changed because a school had "trashed" the toilets. The hotel did not think to tell me this had changed which is very unfair. The worst part of this ordeal is not the fact that I have 110 people disappointed and angry at me but the hotel REFUSE to refund the £300 cash that I had gave them when I was 16 and in a school uniform. This hotel has stole money from me and all my classmates and has lied to us. I advise anyone not to book any events with this disgraceful hotel as now I am in a terrible situation and the hotel don't care at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
23  Thank cmccann9771
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I have stayed here before several times for business reasons and it always seemed to me to be looking for an alternative life - like as a housing development. But I have to admit the food in the restaurant this time was much much better than I recall from before. So someone is cleary taking more care there.

Pity the bedrooms did not seem to have received the same attention. Mine still had that faint odour of cigarette smoke however many years after the smoking ban has been in place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank stephen h
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Been staying throughout Northern Ireland for the last 6 months on business, every week.
I can honestly say, this is the 2nd worst hotel that I have stayed at.
Where to start.......
The hotel reception desk is situated in what feels like a restaurant. We had to navigate tables with our cases then, after a very quick check in, had to continue to the first floor via stairs. Not much of a problem but my case was very heavy, yes, I know that's not an issue with the hotel, but there is no lift, so no good to anyone with mobility issues.
The hallways to the rooms are not the most welcoming, I arrived at 6pm and there were bundles of dirty linen (bagged up, not just thrown on the floor) in the hallway.
The rooms are very very dated and, although they are clean, feel very dirty.
The beds are uncomfortable, the quilts are wafer thin and wouldn't keep you warm on a hot summers night. I have received a couple of bites, either bed bugs or fleas (not sure which) and it's left me feeling very ichy and uncomfortable.
I have asthma, which is very well controlled, and I use an inhaler probably once or twice a month at the most. I have been here for (at the time of writing this) 8hrs and I have used it twice.
The TV in the room is old fashioned, not a modern flat screen and only has half a dozen channels. I know that this is not a deciding factor when booking a hotel room but I am away on business (not on holiday) so my evenings are usually spent in the hotel room.
The bathroom in my room is clean but is also dated.
The best thing about the hotel up to now is the staff in the bar, very friendly and attentive. The food I have had (one meal) has been hot, tasty, well presented and reasonably priced.
I am booked in here for 4 nights, I am going to check out after 1 night and try and find somewhere else to stay.
I would never ever come back to stay at the hotel but I would come for a meal.
I don't think the hotel is value for money. I have stayed in more comfortable more modern hotels for the same price or less (we were charged £50 a night)

• Stayed: March 2014