“Rude Night Porter”

and 1 more site!
Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #37 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here in December with a party of 7. Arriving back at midnight after working in the evening we were told that the bar was shut and could not be reopened. Fair enough - we had a couple of bottles of wine with us so we asked if we could sit somewhere in the hotel and have a drink before going to bed. The night porter begrudgingly handed us some wine glasses and said in a rude manner "you can drink this in your rooms you know". He then proceed to give evil stares at our party before eventually coming over giving rude comments time and time again clearly trying to hound us to our rooms. We were not loud, we were not rude, we were not drunk, we were simply a group of people trying to have a drink and a chat after working late. If he was concerned about noise he could have put us down in the closed bar below. He kept on telling us over and over there was a funeral he had to get ready for the next day and all the pressure he was under like it was all our problem! All we wanted was a quiet drink He ended up threatening to call the police on our group for no reason whatsoever. Completely rude, obnoxious, unreasonable man who has no business ever dealing with customers. Well, rude man - perhaps your employer would like to know that most years I book 15+ hotel rooms in the Belfast area for 3 or 4 nights each and will always wish to have somewhere to chat until quite late on. Most hotels are more than happy to accommodate this. The Balmoral clearly isn't and will not be getting any of my business. I hope it was worth it because that will turn out to be a very expensive bit of rudeness.

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank Sir-Travelalott

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Have eaten a few times in downstairs grill. It is called Lady Ann or something of that nature. We arrived in bar to be told that grill remains opened till 20.30. So we moved to grill at 20.05. The waitress came to us and said the kitchen would stio taking orders in the next few minutes and we needed to choose from menu immediately. A warning bell that unfortunately we did not heed. The food came, we both ordered burgers - trying to facilitate. The food came , promptly but the meat was blsck, purê burnt as was the topping on it. I ate a little of it and then gave uo. On clearing the plated , we complained to waitress, small plumb blond lady, who simply answered , ah well it is so close to closing time. We were horrified. We pay the same as everyone else, and desserve quality like everyone else. The same waitress did come back to offer a desert. It was pathetic. It was shabby treatment , deplorable in a grill that is normally good but obviously lacks trained staff and any decente leadership on part of management. So final verdict. Take the risk and go to Lady Ann grill but make sure that you get the timing correct otherwise they might screw you.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Was meant to be staying at this hotel on the 29th october 2013 only to be told by the battleaxe on the front desk it was booked for the 29th november 2013....even though it was the hotels fault she did nothing to help me just kept saying there is no rooms available and left me standing with my 6 year old child untill she answered the telephone about 6 times.....would need to go on a customer service course asap!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in ramada shaws bridge instead...very helpful staff with lovely manners
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank ursulacrozier
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We attended a wedding here and what can I say only.... Awful!!! Do not stay at this hotel the staff are so so rude!!!! I was served my meal that I didn't/ couldn't eat, I have yet to be asked, was everything ok? My dogs have more manners than the staff including the management!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Tc4ng
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here on business and all in all had a very pleasant time.

We got a fantastic offer on the website which was great value for money. Lovely relaxed atmosphere in the hotel and the staff were very friendly and attentive. We ate in the restaurant on one evening, food was lovely and Conall our waiter was fantastic! :)

The rooms were basic but clean and comfortable There was no wifi in the room and we were right above the function room which was very noisy and the music continued til 1am (not great if you are a light sleeper)

Room Tip: Not near the function room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Maxi1988
Reviewed 8 October 2013

October 2012 - Firstly lock not working on bedroom door. Secondly there was a man roaming the corridors during the night trying to open bedrooms doors. No action or follow up after complaint. Very dissappointing and worrying.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank stuartandelaine
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed here for one night on 2 July. First impressions very good and rooms were immaculate, we also ate in the restaurant the food was lovely and staff very attentive. However I was told on arrival by the receptionist that she needed my credit card just for security, that my card would not be charge until I gave my authorisation on checking out the next morning, which was fine because majority of hotels asks for this. When she asked me to enter my details i noticed that my card was charged £55 over the agreed price when I booked, I questioned the receptionist and she said dont worry your card is not being charged or will any money leave your account. This was playing on my mind so i checked my online banking and realised the room rate PLUS the £55 was taken from my account.
The next morning I spoke to the manager and she said the extra £55 was incase i ate in the restaurant, I proceeded to tell her I had paid for my meal already but she seemed confused by the fact that my card had been charged already without my authorisation and she refunded the £55. She took my number and said she would ring me later that day with an explanation. I called them back five times and still no explanation two months on. If I had not checked my online banking I would not of known and someone would have pocketed £55. Just a warning to other people CHECK what this hotel is CHARGING on your card and that they take your details for security ONLY.
All I can say is I will NOT be back. And I am still waiting on a reply to let me know why this has happened.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family