“Poor breakfast service”

Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Dornoch, United Kingdom
“Poor breakfast service”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for the Thursday and Friday nights when the Giro d'Italia was in Belfast. Comfortable room and helpful receptionist despite her being busy. Unfortunately there was a rather noisy private function on the Friday night with very loud music till 1 am. Managed to grab 3 hours sleep before being woken by loud chatter in the next door room. We'd hoped to make an early start the next morning but waited from 8 till almost 9 to get our cooked breakfast - others who came in behind us were finished their cooked breakfasts before we were served. Got served after reminding the waitress we were still waiting and was told out order chitty had got mislaid! Consequently missed a bus into the city centre and had to get a taxi. Will book elsewhere if we visit Belfast again.

Room Tip: Check out before hand if there are any functions planned.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Mayo
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Arrived at Hotel to a nice welcome. Our room was clean and had a nice view, however it was quite warm and there was no air conditioning. The window only opened slightly(due to safety reasons I assume). Plenty of towels, Bathroom very clean, although some of the tiles need to have the grout removed. Shower pressure a little weak and not very adjustable. Toilet very close to wall!! Food in Bar nice and reasonable priced. Staff very friendly and helpful.

***NOTE: We booked a Taxi from Hotel via a linked phone in hall, Taxi Driver very racist and intimidating and not someone we'd recommend or want associated with a business. Two of Travelling felt this and did not want to remain in taxi on route to event. ***

Post Concert we returned to hotel and went to our room, we rang reception (Night Porter) to try and get some Water and Ice as room was roasting and we're told we'd have to go to Bar ourselves, not very convenient as we were in bed and the only reason I'm pointing this out, is the room booklet said it was a service offered.

All in all, we would both recommend this Hotel, it's location, it's price and most importantly for it's Staff's welcome.

Room Tip: Choose room at back of Hotel/opposite side to function room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kuopio, Finland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Nothing in the hotel met my expectations so it's safe say I will never return to this hotel. The pictures on the website were very misleading! The hotel staff was rude and ignorant, the room was very small and cold as the window was left open. Our room was located near the function room and it felt like the party was in our bedroom going on till about 2 am!! The breakfast was alright, nothing special. All in all our stay was a huge disappointment, what we couldn't tell to staff as they were almost pushing us out of the door in the morning. We have sent the hotel email after our stay but no one has contacted us. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Do not stay at this hotel! My experience was awful! The staff are ignorant with no consideration.. The receptionist answered the phone twice while dealing with me and my girlfriend to deal with other customers.. Entertainment was far too loud It sounded like the disco was in my room at 2:30am! I got a room completely different to the one I booked and when I had the do not disturb sign on my door at 11pm the maid still banged on my door to try to get in, completely disgraceful, when I was checking out I could not give feed back as they couldn't wait to get me out the door, I would 110% not recommend this hotel, the only good member of staff in this hotel was a middle aged waitress at breakfast, that's the only good thing I can say about my experience in this hotel.. I wouldn't even give them the satisfaction of looking at the place than stay in it again!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Aaghgg
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel over Easter weekend with my daughter and some friends and had a great time! I had stayed previously at the hotel and this time it was no different!!! Absolutely superb all the way through our stay staff as normal very friendly and are prepared to go that bit extra! Really good value and food very varied and very good at all times an all round asset to the patrons of Belfast!!!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joneee7
london
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed here as working long hours back to back in belfast - i got a good deal £45 one night b&b the room turned out to be a double and was simple and clean it had a bathroom and bath and included dove body wash and the room had tea coffee and biscuits. Most importantly for work - it had good wifi.
the breakfast was cooked to order and was good enough - not the best ive had and not the worst. staff were friendly and i enjoyed my stay.

the walls are not very thick so next doors tv sound was very clear - this didnt annoy me - but if you are a light sleeper - it would be a problem.

its quite a bit out of belfast city centre but quite close to the kingshall.
I would recommend for business travel or for families needing somewhere affordable to sleep overnight..

Room Tip: ask for a bath as not guaranteed also ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 1shamrock
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Balmoral is an older hotel with large function rooms and comfortable bedrooms. It is not a 5 star hotel but it is great value for money. The staff are very friendly and cheerful. Lorraine at the front desk and Brenda at breakfast were lovely. There is a good choice for breakfast and the food was great. We loved the restaurants and ate dinner there several times. The weekends are very busy with weddings, christenings etc. so make sure you request a room away from the function rooms. We had room 44 the first week and had a quiet time. This room had no bathtub just a walk in shower so if you need a tub, you should request that up front. The second time, we stayed in room 57 which was more modern and seemed to have been updated. It had a bathtub. It was also quiet.
There is a bus stop right outside the hotel gates that takes you into the center of Belfast. We enjoyed the bus ride because it was like a mini tour of the murals on the Falls Road and Andersonstown.

Room Tip: When you book, request a room away from function rooms. If you need a tub, request it when you book...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple