“AWFUL !”

Ranked #38 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Dublin
“AWFUL !”
Reviewed 2 June 2009

From the time we arrived the staff were rude! Food is a disgrace. Don't take a breakfast option (full irish was dripping in grease) I could have made the dinner myself. On arrival to out room i discovered a dirty used towel in the bathroom. The room is the smallest i have ever seen with no air conditioning and such a cheap un comfortable bed. Every single thing in this hotel screams cheap, as for the clientelle, very rough crowd. Felt very aware at all times. I had read the reviews here before we went but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt but jesus was i wrong to! NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephmisshorty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
UK
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I booked to stay at the hotel through its own website, which was charging a rate of £50 per night B&B. When I arrived they had no record of my booking so I stood around for ten minutes waiting for them to book me in. Not a good start and not even a sniff of an apology. When I got to my room there were no hangers in the wardrobe and the back was missing from the tv remote control, which didnt work anyway. The pillows had a faint smell of aftershave - presumably from the last guest....or maybe even the one before him. This only added to a bad nights sleep for the doors at the end of the corridor would wake an elephant when they are opened and closed. Next morning was the icing on the cake. Went to the desk to check out and they tried to charge me £65. I explained (again) how I had booked online and even showed them the booking confirmation that was sent to me by text. Not enough. The girl on the desk had to make a call to persons unknown to clear the £50 charge. I was past the point of arguing that they had already debited my account for the £3 booking fee so should only have charged me £47. Yet again, not so much as a "did you enjoy your stay" or " was everything to your satisfaction". And no, I didn't get an apology. Breakfast wasn't bad though. You have been warned.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank LazloUk
London
Reviewed 23 January 2009

This could be a good hotel but it needs to seriously reconsider how it treats its guests. When we arrived we were given the wrong room, and staff didn't seem to really know what was going on and took too long to sort out the problem. And the rooms we did get were meant to be non-smoking but stank of smoke (and why do non-smoking rooms have ashtrays in them in any case?). Tiny little TV with only analogue reception, nothing special about the room, though it was of a reasonable size.

Breakfast was ok, but less than generous - a full Irish fry with just one sausage? Hmmm.

Seems like the hotel's main business is functions and the bar, guests come a long way down the list.

• Liked — It was easy to get to
  • Disliked — The smell of smoke
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mouth_of_flowers
hull
Reviewed 5 September 2008

I stayed in the hotel in July for my friends birthday, it was our first time in Belfast,I must say I was very impressed with the hotel,the staff Were very friendly, the Maids were fantastic,I never meet a friendlier bunch off women,nothing was too much for them, the bedrooms were spotless clean,the grill bar was good to eat cheap food before a night out,the breakfast staff could smile more i found the head off the breakfast staff very bossy towards the other girls!she need to loosen up! the fry was YUMMY! well I would recommend THE BARMORAL HOTEL to anyone who are going to Belfast! SECOND TO NONE KEEP IT UP A VERY FRIENDLY RUN PLACE! IT SHOWS IN THE WORK HOW HAPPY THE STAFF ARE WELL DONE ALL OFF YOU!!

• Liked — the bedrooms
  • Disliked — the breakfast staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank policeHull
Belfast
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I must say I have a a lot of goodness to praise this hotel.....I have stayed in this hotel in Jan 08 and in a mere 6 months they have upgraded to swipe card and also added security to the corridor to the rooms!!!

Rooms are furnished to an excellect standard....decor is modern with a neutral finish which would suit all tastes....

Most importantly....i was able to relax after my breakfast was delivered to the room....the window was open with a lovely breeze streaming in and all I could hear were trees rustling!! I was very grateful of a quiet heating system that a lot of hotels do not have.

Breakfast was as delicious as was the three course meal I had the previous night!!!! very tasty.....

Bed was very comfy....I had a great night sleep.

Overall for £110 to stay in a hotel of this great standard with 3 course meal plus tea/coffee and breakfast the following morning is an absoloute bargain!!!! (this offer was only available on Sunday nights)

Check-out time is very strict!!! 12 on the dot! - but thats hardly a fault!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - especially for a second visit

• Liked — three beer gardens, 3 bars, a resturant and a grill bar....plenty of places to choose from
  • Disliked — early close of live band/bar - however there was a residents bar
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Scotland
Reviewed 22 May 2008

Stayed here for a week a while back as the Victoria Centre was opening and my usual hotel was fully booked.

First thing I can say about it is that it's rather out the way. 20 mins by taxi.

Another issue is that there isn't much in the way of places to eat that we saw but there is a bar in the hotel and the food is pretty good..

I had a smoking room and as a non-smoker I was rather worried of what I've have to put up with but I do not think I could have told you it was a smoking room. Although in speaking of smells, for some reason, in my opinion, the corridor outside the hotel rooms smelt like a McDonalds Egg McMuffin. I'm not sure why as it's not a smell you can accidently smell of but it was distinctive. Maybe I was just living near someone with a lust for them, I dunno. It was only the corridor though, the room was fine.

Outside, it looks like it's had a bit of work done recently, it looks refurbished. The room was rather basic. It had a bed, a toilet, a desk and a wardrobe. Pretty much what you'd expect from about a million hotels around the world. One good point is that I had free wi-fi. I was originally worried I was 'borrowing' bandwidth from someone else but when I enquired at the desk they told me that all rooms have free internet access.

The staff were pretty friendly and I'm sure one of them was giving me the eye but that's another story.

All in all a nice place to stay if, like me, you get your taxis free from your company or if you drive.

• Liked — free wi-fi in rooms, cute staff
  • Disliked — distance from the centre of town
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2008

We stayed at the Balmoral Hotel on Blacks Road in Belfast for two nights on the 2nd and 3rd May 2008. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the City centre. We flew into Belfast International airport and it took about 25 minutes to get to the hotel, so I suppose it would take less from the City airport.

I believe the hotel has recently been refurbished so if you’ve read reviews that are more than a few months old, you probably need to put these in context and allow for the fact that the new owners have now fully done up the place. I suppose there will have been some upheaval during the renovation and no doubt this will have had an impact on some people’s stay, but as someone who has now been when it’s been fully done up, I suppose I can give an objective review.

Upon arrival, the reception desk were expecting us and we only needed to fill in our registration cards before we received the room keys and could go in and relax after our journey. The room was ready and was excellent. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room spotless. There was plenty of tea and coffee (not like some hotels where you get one of each and that’s about it!) and hot chocolate, and a packet of biscuits too, so a nice cup of tea was the first thing! There was also a flat screen TV on the wall which you could easily view sat on the bed, and not at some awkward angle, as is usually the case.

The bathroom had a bath, shower and WC and there were shampoos and shower caps too. If you had forgotten things like a toothbrush etc, the reception would easily sort you out with those items.

Once outside the room, the foyer bar was a bustling place, with locals and visitors alike. The hotel seems to be a regular meeting place for local people, which added to the ambience. It’s also a testament to the place that it is where the locals like to meet and have a drink and a meal. There’s nothing worse than being in an hotel with lots of stand offish holidaymakers not wanting to be sociable. This is Ireland mind you, so there’s not really much chance of that! In fact we felt very much like locals by the end!

The hotel has two restaurants, the “Lady Anne”, a grill a little like a brewer’s fayre pub in the UK, (although that’s probably not doing it justice, but you probably get the idea) which is downstairs, and the main hotel restaurant, the “Glenriver”. The Lady Anne Grill has an extensive menu and the food in there was lovely and superbly cooked and presented. Certainly went down well with a pint of Harp! The main Glenriver restaurant is where you have breakfast and is also open for lunches and dinners. This restaurant is a “higher class” restaurant, but, again the food was lovely. I’m a great breakfast fan, and the hotel didn’t disappoint. There was a buffet to start for your juices, fruits and cereals, and the main breakfast course and toast was brought to the table. There was a choice of main courses, but obviously we had to go for the full Irish fry consisting of bacon, egg, sausage, hash brown, potato bread, soda bread and tomato. A great way to start the day.

For those interested, the hotel has 3 function rooms, 2 of which can be opened into one. The other, the grand ballroom, is a huge room, ideal for weddings and the like.

So on the whole, a lovely stay, great service by friendly staff, lovely room, and lovely food. Couldn’t have asked for more really. I’ll be hoping to return to the city in the not too distant future, and my plans will certainly be affected by whether the Balmoral is available when I want to stay.

• Liked — Accomodation and foot
  • Disliked — Didn't stay long enough not to dislike anything.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple