“Do not stay in this hotel if you want to sleep”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

and 1 more site!
Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We stayed at the Balmoral Hotel midweek only to be sleep deprived due to excessive noise from a wedding reception in the function room below. Furthermore when I got up to complain to the night porter I met a frequent guest of the hotel who told me this was a regular occurance. Whilst the night porter was very apologetic he agreed that the noise was totally unacceptable but unfortunately couldn't move us as the hotel was full. When I spoke to the general manager in the morning he blatently lied to me saying that the night porter went upstairs and couldn't hear any noise. Clearly management do not respect their staff or care about their guests paying for accommodation only to be sleep deprived.
The rooms were also very small and the showers were absolutely terrible.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank CBJNZ
There are newer reviews for Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed 26 June 2009

We booked the Balmoral on line and was a bit worried after reading reviews. I am happy to say that my worries were unfounded and the Hotel was excellent. Our Room was large, modern and very clean.Towels were changed daily, Breakfast was included in the deal and freshly cooked. The staff were very friendly and service very good. We arrived on Sunday evening and the Bars and Grill Room were very busy, seems popular with the locals. Travel into Belfast City Centre by car took less than 10 minutes by the Motorway and access is great for visits to other parts of Northern Ireland.. When you read adverse reviews of this Hotel it is worth noting that most of them are a couple of years old. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clydebuilt
Reviewed 2 June 2009

From the time we arrived the staff were rude! Food is a disgrace. Don't take a breakfast option (full irish was dripping in grease) I could have made the dinner myself. On arrival to out room i discovered a dirty used towel in the bathroom. The room is the smallest i have ever seen with no air conditioning and such a cheap un comfortable bed. Every single thing in this hotel screams cheap, as for the clientelle, very rough crowd. Felt very aware at all times. I had read the reviews here before we went but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt but jesus was i wrong to! NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephmisshorty
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I booked to stay at the hotel through its own website, which was charging a rate of £50 per night B&B. When I arrived they had no record of my booking so I stood around for ten minutes waiting for them to book me in. Not a good start and not even a sniff of an apology. When I got to my room there were no hangers in the wardrobe and the back was missing from the tv remote control, which didnt work anyway. The pillows had a faint smell of aftershave - presumably from the last guest....or maybe even the one before him. This only added to a bad nights sleep for the doors at the end of the corridor would wake an elephant when they are opened and closed. Next morning was the icing on the cake. Went to the desk to check out and they tried to charge me £65. I explained (again) how I had booked online and even showed them the booking confirmation that was sent to me by text. Not enough. The girl on the desk had to make a call to persons unknown to clear the £50 charge. I was past the point of arguing that they had already debited my account for the £3 booking fee so should only have charged me £47. Yet again, not so much as a "did you enjoy your stay" or " was everything to your satisfaction". And no, I didn't get an apology. Breakfast wasn't bad though. You have been warned.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank LazloUk
Reviewed 23 January 2009

This could be a good hotel but it needs to seriously reconsider how it treats its guests. When we arrived we were given the wrong room, and staff didn't seem to really know what was going on and took too long to sort out the problem. And the rooms we did get were meant to be non-smoking but stank of smoke (and why do non-smoking rooms have ashtrays in them in any case?). Tiny little TV with only analogue reception, nothing special about the room, though it was of a reasonable size.

Breakfast was ok, but less than generous - a full Irish fry with just one sausage? Hmmm.

Seems like the hotel's main business is functions and the bar, guests come a long way down the list.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank mouth_of_flowers
Reviewed 5 September 2008

I stayed in the hotel in July for my friends birthday, it was our first time in Belfast,I must say I was very impressed with the hotel,the staff Were very friendly, the Maids were fantastic,I never meet a friendlier bunch off women,nothing was too much for them, the bedrooms were spotless clean,the grill bar was good to eat cheap food before a night out,the breakfast staff could smile more i found the head off the breakfast staff very bossy towards the other girls!she need to loosen up! the fry was YUMMY! well I would recommend THE BARMORAL HOTEL to anyone who are going to Belfast! SECOND TO NONE KEEP IT UP A VERY FRIENDLY RUN PLACE! IT SHOWS IN THE WORK HOW HAPPY THE STAFF ARE WELL DONE ALL OFF YOU!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank policeHull
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I must say I have a a lot of goodness to praise this hotel.....I have stayed in this hotel in Jan 08 and in a mere 6 months they have upgraded to swipe card and also added security to the corridor to the rooms!!!

Rooms are furnished to an excellect standard....decor is modern with a neutral finish which would suit all tastes....

Most importantly....i was able to relax after my breakfast was delivered to the room....the window was open with a lovely breeze streaming in and all I could hear were trees rustling!! I was very grateful of a quiet heating system that a lot of hotels do not have.

Breakfast was as delicious as was the three course meal I had the previous night!!!! very tasty.....

Bed was very comfy....I had a great night sleep.

Overall for £110 to stay in a hotel of this great standard with 3 course meal plus tea/coffee and breakfast the following morning is an absoloute bargain!!!! (this offer was only available on Sunday nights)

Check-out time is very strict!!! 12 on the dot! - but thats hardly a fault!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - especially for a second visit

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)