“Tacky”

Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Ballymoney
“Tacky”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I was unable to reserve a room for a friend online as my computer was on the blink but I did manage to see that Madison's had rooms available so I rang the hotel and was told they were booked out. I checked the internet again and low and behold there were rooms available. I rang the hotel and pointed this out. I was told that there had been 6 cancellations in the last 20 minutes, they do not provide single rooms and I was unable to reserve a room over the phone anyway and I should call at 7:00 am.
I persisted on the Net and managed to book a room online. I checked my friend in and as he was on crutches I helped him to his room. I've stayed in better tents. The bathroom tiles were moldy. There were bits missing out of the side of the bath and the bedroom was so small the twin beds were almost touching. Not good at all. It is like a dive for peeps too drunk to care were they sleep. Very sad indeed. I would give Madison's a minus if I could.

Room Tip: I would give Madison's a miss. It has gone down hill BIG TIME. They seem to cater for party peep...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BallymoneyNumptynuts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Greek first
Derry
Reviewed 13 October 2012

On arrival I was greeted by the most wonderful receptionist, very friendly and welcoming. The hotel itself looks great but on arrival to the room I was a little disappointed, could do with a lick of paint and at night time the room was VERY cold and bedding wasn't the greatest with no extra blankets left in room. Tea and coffee was provided but trying to find a place to plug the kettle in was a bit of a job (same goes for straighteners!) as the only sockets available where being used by the TV in the corner of the room, no others that I could find. Breakfast next morning was adequate but wouldnt be anything to write home about although staff were very helpful. Have to say I expected more, specifically booked to stayed here as it was advertised as a 'Boutique Hotel' and I wanted to see how it compared to others I've stayed in. Not sure I'd be rushing back but overall wasn't a bad experience.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Belfast
Reviewed 13 October 2012 via mobile

I didn't stay in the hotel but have had drinks in the bar which is great for £3 cocktails every evening! It can take a while to get served with everyone ordering cocktails but the bar staff are great and provide a good and friendly service!

• Stayed October 2012
Monaghan, Ireland
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My wife and I stayed for 2nights midweek, we both really enjoyed it. The receptionist and waitress were extremely friendly, helpful and considerate. Hotel is situated very close to city centre, walking distance. Thanks for a lovely couple of days away! It was also excellent value.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Madisons is great value which is a massive positive and it is centrally located. After that however I feel it could do with some attention. The bathrooms in the rooms are very tired and need an upgrade as they do not sit well with the room itself. The shower is scholding hot and on the coldest setting is still only just bareable. There is no iron in the room so I had to pop down to reception at 7am to get one to iron my shirts. The breakfast is nice but the chef cant cook a poached egg to save his life! It is also a very noisy area which I dont mind as I am still fairly young, however I think some people would get very tense over this.

It could be a great hotel I feel that if a little effort was put in then the overall customer experience would be very positive.

However if you are on a budget and want a central hotel this may well be the one for you.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Bracknell, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Found Madison's during the second of three weeks in Belfast - wish I'd found it from the beginning! Rooms well appointed, clean and comfortable. Breakfast - first class. Everyone helpful and friendly. Why stay anywhere else?

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard E
London
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Rooms more upmarket travelodge than what I would call boutique but clean, comfortable and enough space and to be fair they're not charging upmarket boutique prices. Very good value with breakfast included. But attached restaurant and bar great value and although in middle of student area we didn't find room noisy at all. We were advised (by family in area) not to park outside the hotel because of student high jinks, although there were spaces, so can't say if this would have been a problem, they may just have been over cautious but taxis very reasonable in Belfast and so makes sense to use them, rather than bring a car if you're worried as no secure parking anywhere nearby.

Loads of places nearby to eat and drink reasonably. Have stayed in similar places where rooms were slightly better (Benedicts Hotel nearby) but not bad at all. Just don't get over-excited by the "boutique hotel" label and expect too much of rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple