“Wick”

Ivanhoe Inn and Hotel
Ranked #8 of 48 Belfast B&B and Inns
“Wick”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

My first room had a view of the kitchen roof top complete with the on/off buzzing of an extractor fan; blood stain on one of the beds not changed despite daily housekeeping.
Breakfast on the first morning was serenaded by the chef whistling loudly in the nearby kitchen; little choice for breakfast - I had a greasy fry and stewed coffee.
Breakfast on the second morning, there was cleaning of the glass doors going on right beside me; breakfast came on a plate that had been through the dishwasher so many times the surface was scratched and rough.
I asked for a room change and was promptly given another room - that had another extractor fan right outside - seriously?! There was also the sound of dripping water, also kitchen noise of plates clattering and again chef whistling.
Internet stopped working - phoned reception and no-one picked up, tried again shortly after, the first lady on reception was good but when I phoned 2 hours later the second lady was abrupt and obviously couldn't be bothered.
Breakfast on the third morning, coffee was poured from a hot jug and got half a cup, when I asked for a refill the guy took my cup into the kitchen to refill - ?; a chef came out and instructed how the room was to be laid and that then started around me.
Reception staff do not acknowledge guests, no customer service.
I emailed reception 3 times and no response back at all.
When I went to reception to check out early and explained the above the only reaction was to print off my bill - 2 reception staff present and neither bothered to try and resolve.
Rooms are nice and modern but staff are not hotel staff, they have no idea.
No response needed from the hotel please - too late.
NITB - this cannot be a 3 star hotel.
Wish I had of read tripadvisor before I booked.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank MissBushmills

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We had a comfortable stay at the Ivanhoe. The room was spacious and neat with a good breakfast. The place is a bit far from the city centre, but has ample and free car parking. All in all, very good value.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wanderingskv
Little Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

This hotel is a great place, friendly reception staff, friendly helpfully staff in the restaurant, good clean rooms and nice Guinness... Nuff said!
Don't be put off by the main road, the rooms are on the back side so really peacefull.

Room Tip: Also close to an Indian if you fancy a change for dinner...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DevaDave27
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Just had our wedding here on 14th july,must say we had a brilliant day.Very professionaly done from start to finish . The meal was beautiful and very warm,no one was waiting for ages to be served unlike a few weddings i have been at,not bad for 120 guests. We had a party from england over who were very impressed with the hotel and the service .Everyone keeps telling us it was the best wedding they were ever at . My thanks to Paula for the professional and friendly way she dealt with our wedding . Also like to thank Paul Withers for his fantastic disco , the dance floor was never empty from first song to last . All in all a brilliant day !

7 Thank Kelly5916
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed 2 nights whilst visiting family and were really pleased, so clean and comfortable.Our room was enormous and spotlessly clean. I have to say the housekeeping staff should be very proud. Staff were very keen to help out and Joanne helped us to print return flights. Ruth at breakfast was lovely and chatty making sure we felt at home.
We have stayed many times in hotels in the centre of Belfast and been disappointed with level of cleanliness and service yet paid much more than The Ivannhoe. Thanks and look forward to returning.

5 Thank louxloux
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Visited the Ivanhoe for lunch.....just fantastic! The staff who looked after us...from the 'front desk' until we left were so kind, helpful, polite.....just can't say enough about them! The Bistro was very busy (good sign!)....still loads of room though! The Dining Room was closed but the staff opened it to give my mum a little more room, as she uses a wheelchair.....this was just brilliant as it meant she didn't feel in anyone's way! I can't say enough about the Ivanhoe....except to say...visit it...soon!! Super menu...with excellent choices to suit all tastes and not expensive.

3 Thank kissy47
Eire
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I have stayed in this hotel probably half a dozen times and have just booked my next stay. For value for money it cannot be beaten. The newly re-vamped rooms at the front of the hotel are beautiful, spacious, clean and well laid out. The bathrooms are very modern, large and well supplied with towels/shampoo/bodywash, and hand cleanser. All of the staff from young to old are professional, friendly and helpful. Breakfast is a great selection of cereal, fruit, toast, and cooked breakfast menu aswell. I have eaten on an evening in the restaurant, although this was over a year ago now, I chose from a 'saver' menu and the meal was adequate in size and nice, though there was perhaps room for improvement. There is a very large car park and it takes around 10/15 mins drive into the city centre and is on a main bus route. The only negative is if you happen to get one of the 'newly refurbished' rooms and it is iver the bar/function area, it can be noisy!, not a problem if you are in the bar or function obviously but as I stay there for work it can be disruptive. One time I stayed there the man behind reception actually told me he was allocating me a quieter room as there was a function on which I thought was very thoughtful of him. The hotel is on a busy main road but I have never found traffic noise a problem as it appears to be well insulated from the road. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, hence my return time after time.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room away from the bar.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo