“Rude & Immature staff”

Belfast International Youth Hostel
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Been travelling the last 8 months in hostels, this has to be the WORST! Its amazing how much emphasis the people there make on your stay. Im not one to write a review, but would not recommend this place. Staff unhelpful and rude, especially security. They treated us like kids. Grow up. Put a smile on your face. Defiantly put a dampener on the Irish spirit. I work in the travel industry and have already recommended several to avoid this hostel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dan S
Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Hello Dan S

I appreciate that although you do not normally write reviews you have taken the time to let us know about your experience at Belfast International Youth Hostel and I am really disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Your encounter with our reception staff is unprecedented as guests usually comment on how friendly and helpful they are. We pride ourselves on being more than just staff but ambassadors for Northern Ireland and it is upsetting to read that this was not your appraisal.

If you would like to email me at marketing@hini.org.uk I would be very keen to discuss your stay in more detail.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

With just one night being spent in Belfast, I just needed somewhere cheap and with a decent location, and the International Youth Hostel provided that perfectly. At only £10 a night I wasn't going in with huge expectations, but the staff were friendly and welcoming, the room was clean and pleasant, and the bed was perfectly comfortable with fresh linen.

The location was good, being only a 10 minute walk from the bus terminal, and 15-20 minutes to walk to the city centre.

Around the area, there were various places to eat, mainly take-aways and fast food. The hostel itself has an adjoining cafe that does a good cooked breakfast at only £4.95.

If I was travelling back to Belfast, which seemed like a nice city in the short time I was there, I'd be happy to stay here again, and happy to recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Hi Benjamin_83_uk!

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I'm delighted to hear that all your needs were well catered for and that you found our city centre location convenient. We very much hope you decide to visit Belfast for a longer time next year and we would love to welcome you back to stay with us.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

My son and I stayed in your hostel two weeks ago when my husband was in the City Hospital. I would like to stress how fantastic your staff are especially Paul who was so caring and attentive to us. I have never stayed in a hostel before and was quite nervous about it but I found it clean, comfortable and so welcoming. I was also able to skype my daughter in Sydney from the lovely library. Overall this made a stressful time less so and I would definitely recommend this place to everyone I know.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Auntrish
Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Auntrish

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. It was our pleasure to have you and your son stay with us and I am delighted to hear that we made things a little bit easier during such a stressful time for you and your family. I very much hope that we can welcome you back sometime in the future when you are visiting Belfast for a much nicer reason. From all of us at HINI, we wish your husband a speedy recovery and hope you all have a lovely family Christmas with lots of time to recuperate and relax.

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

What a lovely place! Can't fault the friendly helpful staff and the clean ample rooms are extremely good value. Thanks for a pleasant stay guys. I will most certainly be recommending you to my friends and hope to stay with you again myself on the not to distant future.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Hello MartynM74!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you had such a great stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you (and indeed your friends) to stay with us again!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I really could not recommend this place enough!! First time I’ve stayed in a hostel and I didn’t really know what to expect – was very pleasantly surprised. What more can you ask for than a clean, comfortable room and fantastic service from staff at such a reasonable price. The staff are extremely friendly and couldn’t do enough to help me sort out my trip to Belfast. The place is extremely clean, the kitchen is practical and clean and the bedrooms are great.
The cafe next door offers really good home cooked breakfast each morning and good strong coffee.
Overall, great value for money and I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I was on 4th floor
Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank travel_ted77

Hi travel_ted77!

Thank you for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel! I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations in all areas and that most importantly you were impressed with our staff! We very much hope that you will continue to stay with hostels and will return to us sometime soon!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend.
The staff who checked me in were very helpful with recommendations and with a few queries i had during my stay.
The Hostel was pretty full with some groups,single people,couples-all different types of backpackers.
Great value for money and close to the City Centre.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Peter J

Hi Peter J!

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and that our staff were able to help you throughout your visit. I very much hope that we can welcome you back to stay again with us in the future!

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Right from the booking to checking out, all I can say is it was great!

I had to stay in Belfast for 4 nights last week, and booked the hostel through a website. I booked the double ensuite, and was willing to pay the double occupancy, but the moment the night receptionist knew I was on my own, discounted it to single! He was really pleasant to deal with and went out of his way to ensure my comfort!

The room was immaculate and the facilities on site were great also!

I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank fnib
Hostelling_Intl_NI, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Hi fnib!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I am delighted to read such positive comments and to hear that you enjoyed our stay. We take the comfort of our guests seriously and I am glad that we met your expectations. I am pleased to hear that you will return again in the future and we very much look forward to welcoming you.

Best Wishes