“worth a look”
Review of Sandy Row

Sandy Row
Reviewed 23 June 2014

we stayed in etap hotel which is just round the corner fom sandy row, you can see the flags from the corner. there a mural of king william of orange at the entrance but it was the one of george best i really wanted to see, i wasnt disappointed. i didnt find the area intimidating at all but it was teatime on a bright sunny day dont think i would venture down at night

2  Thank janicejanroxy

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We were staying in the ETAP Hotel and decided to walk down this area as we saw the Union Jack and St George Cross flags. There is a mural depicting William of Orange. This was put up to replace the UVF mural that was there. The flags were a bit off putting but it was during the day and there was a number of people around. We walked down further to see the Northern Ireland football team mural and a mural to Queen Elizabeth II. My sister never saw the murals before, this was my second time in Belfast. Regeneration is starting and this is a good move.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Although the once ominous but starkingly proud mural has now been painted over with a more historic but just as eyecatching mural I would still recommend a visit to this part of Belfast. The residents are more than friendly and when I asked where I could see some.of their history was shown round by a middle aged woman who gave me and my partner a personal tour of this reverently proud to be British part of her beautiful city. A must visit part of Belfast

3  Thank Loyalistlassie
Reviewed 23 May 2014

While in Belfast this is a must see because it is part of the culture of Belfast. It allows visitors of Belfast to try to get an understanding of the dynamics of Belfast. We recommend that you hire a guide or least go during the day.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

You'll get different opinions on Sandy Row no matter who you talk to. Some will tell you to stay away while others will say you need to visit. Both are right and wrong (with respect).
It depends on the type of person you are and what you want to see in Belfast?

Sandy Row is one of the famous traditional heartlands of Belfast. A once big, prosperous, vibrant area like many others over time and due to The Troubles it has declined and today is a disadvantaged area of Belfast.
If your into the history of Belfast, want to see some Loyalist/Protestant/Unionist murals (wall paintings) and talk with some locals on the street or in the local shops then I would advise taking a walk down Sandy Row.

Tourists and students are actually now normal in this area so there should be no problems by walking around the area. At night through I would advise not walking through Sandy Row. But then I could say the same about alot of other areas of Belfast. You could walk through 99/100 times and be perfectly fine but its probably not worth the risk or hassle.