“Not worth 4 star rating”

Wellington Park Hotel
Ranked #33 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Was staying in Belfast on a Saturday evening. Does not compare to other 4 star hotels in Belfast at all.
Furnishings were very dated. Upholstery on armchair was torn in multiple areas. Cups were black, which was very off putting to begin with, on closer examination they were also dirty/scummy and we had to wash them before use.
The bathroom light would only turn on if the main bedroom light was on.
If you turned on the bathroom light it activated the bathroom fan, extremely noisy. We could hear the fan from next door when in use.
Very poor sound proofing of walls etc. night club downstairs, could hear music so clearly you could make out the words of songs from our room on the 2nd floor.
No welcome book/folder on dressing table to give information about hotel facilities etc.
No electrical plugs located close to mirror for hair straighteners. This was also the area where the tea/coffee making facilities were kept. Pointless location as had to move to gain access to electricity.
No light/net curtains on windows to allow light in while allowing privacy. Curtains in place were not black out curtains.

We were left wondering if the room was frequently used at all or was it only used in busy periods as it clearly wasn't 4 star standard. Would have saved money and got a similar standard of room in a hotel of a lower star rating. Would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thedbear

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We booked this hotel via booking.com, and could not have been more disappointed or disgusted by the room we were given. On entering the room the first thing we noticed was the smell - the unmistakable smell of excrement. This could only be because the room was not properly cleaned or aired out following the previous guests. After opening the window in an attempt to clear the smell, we realised that this was only the beginning of the issues with the room. On booking.com the hotel was advertised as having a bath in each room, not only did the bathroom not have a bath, but there were stains throughout it. Given the smell of the room it is possible to guess what these stains were, however I did not investigate closely enough to be able to say what they were for certain. The bedding, and in particular the runner on the bed, were fraying and stained with what appeared to be the bodily fluids from any number of previous guests. Needless to say we did not remain in the room for long, nor did we stay in the hotel (despite the manager's offer of another room - which may or may not have been of a higher standard and cleanliness).

Even without the issues outlined above, the price for a double room in this hotel is, in my opinion at least, exorbitant. There are a large number of higher quality and much cleaner hotels around Belfast, and closer to the city centre, for the same and even lesser cost.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jonny W
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We used the conference space for an event, chosen as the venue is very accessible and they have good available parking. One of our staff stayed in the hotel and was very impressed by the room - large, spacious and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful, accommodating our requests when asked. Catering was lovely, ordered traybakes and a great selection of cakes and treats were presented. We chose the venue over some cheaper alternatives, however were recommended this venue by colleagues and were not disappointed. Hope to be back again next year.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have used the Wellington Park Hotel on numerous occasions for many events we have held as a charity organisation. The staff were so helpful- they catered for all our needs, specifically, picky eaters and without a bat of an eyelid. The rooms are lovely, so cosy and meet all our needs- Our organisation work with a lot of young people and the staff have no obligations with this request. I could not speak more highly of this Hotel for sleeping and conferences. The staff, food, rooms and location are ideal for anyone of any age.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jenna W
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was a last minute booking. I needed somewhere I could stay near to a conference i was attending at the Europa. The hotel is on the Malone Road, near Queens and good for this sort of short stay business trip. The staff are helpful, the room was reasonably good. The wi-fi worked. I could park there for the two days without an added charge. Breakfast was unimaginative, not included in the price, but again the staff were pleasant. On Friday I hastened home.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Harry K
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for break with my husband, 2 nights room only for €125 through lastminute.com. good enough value if you're after a base close to city centre but rooms in real need of updating, ours very old f shioned, clean enough but in need of a serious dusting! Not a 4 star in my opinion and very noisy from student night on a Wednesday but then I guess it is a city! Didn't have breakfast here as £12 each is a bit extortionate! No menus for snacks/bar food on display in room so get impression they desire room only service! f

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lindaboyle
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews for once I didn't listen to the bad ones and trust me the bad ones are so very true. I will keep it short I am quite fussy but I give credit when it's due, I thought this was supposed to be a 4 star when I arrived it was extremely dated when I went to go to my room i didn't find it straight badly laid out the rooms are so tiny, quite modern in bedrooms i say quite, but not in the hotel, the pictures seem a lot larger there was no bath but that's my preference so not there fault.
The place was empty so I thought they could have given a better room at least, the bed was so uncomfortable i nearly was going to go to a different hotel it was that uncomfortable so if you want comfort or have back problems don't come here.
I had no bedside table just a chair which isn't exactly sensible although my partner had one strange setup.
I came across dirty glasses, but the worst was my freezing cold shower it was luke warm for one minute but by that stage I had shampoo in my hair and eyes and had to rough it. Then my shower leaked onto the floor so I had to put towels down but as it's so small i had to stand in the wet towels or be pushed out off the bathroom not a four star even my partner who would be happy anywhere even said "this is a bit cheap and nasty"
Even dinner was cafe standard and I couldn't help but wonder all night how and why is this place 4 star?
Far better hotels in Belfast to go to I've been to nearly them all i wouldn't advice this place for £75 I expect a lot more for my dollar.
Never again very disappointing for 4 star.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends