“Excellent location, good value”

Wellington Park Hotel
Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A group of us stayed at this hotel for 1 night. It was in an excellent location, close to city centre, walking distance to Queens Uni. There are bars and restaurants right beside the hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Check in was quick and easy. The room was good value, although, the hotel bar was a bit pricey, you would be better to go to the nearby pubs. Rooms were large and spacious. The showers had good pressure, beds were comfy and room had everything we needed. Car parking was no problem and only £5 for the night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I booked 2 double rooms, Staying 13-15 June 2014. I am sure that my room was in the middle of a refurb which hadn't been finished. The ensuite shower room looked new but had been finished poorly. The tiled floor in the shower was sharp and the shower mechanise itself was extremely tight. The door to the wardrobe was missing? and the room looked ready for a paint as there was filler on the walls. The large vanity desk was not level so anything like makeup just rolled off. The Hairdryer was old and only worked if you kept the switch pressed in with your finger( not a design feature). The room itself was at the back of the hotel so we didn't experience noise but there was no air conditioning and although the weather was not hot the room was baking with only one opener on the window. The only saving grace was the comfortable bed and tv and nice location, although if you had a room at the front of the hotel I would guess noise may be an issue with the Nightclub/pub next door.

Room Tip: Room on the back i would guess are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L16edm
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I had read negative reviews of this property before visiting and so had felt put off. I needn't have. I throroughly enjoyed my stay. Many reviewers talk about the hotel needing a refurb. OK, so the interior of this property does not look brand new, it clearly had its last refurb some while ago, but that doesn't make it a bad hotel. The reception area and ground floor of this hotel is elegant and attractive. I felt the room was a tad on the small side, but not overly so, probably fairly average for a UK hotel. The decor was slightly dated, perhaps but not unattractive as such. One thing that struck me about the room was that lighting could have been a tad better. The bathroom was elegant and the shower top notch (always important in my view) Apart from a bit of door slamming in the corridor, I was not disturbed by noise in this hotel. The bedding and pillows were very nice and the bed comfort was decent (I am extremely fussy on bed comfort) The reception staff stood out as being very very welcoming, helpful and friendly. They were very knowledgeable and couldn't have done more to make my stay pleasant, some of the best receptionists in the business, in my opinion, very slick and professional. I had a full breakfast one morning and the staff were friendly but the breakfast was average, no better. (I am a bit fussy when it comes to breakfasts!) I found the location of this hotel to be fabulous, with many great bars, shops and eateries nearby, and within walking distance of the city centre. I hope this review helps you decide whether to stay here or not, DON'T believe the seething negative reviews of this hotel, the interior is not brand new but it was clean and tidy and attractive enough and the staff are superb. Remember this is a family owned hotel, not part of a giant chain.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our Branch held their Annual Dinner on the 30th May 2014. From our first meeting with Malachy Toner, to the actual night of the dinner, everthing went extremely smoothly. Our rooms were very comfortable, and our meals excellant. The Sea Cadets from Sea Eagle were present to greet our guests, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Entertainment was provided brilliantly by two lovely girls, Perfect Strangers, and we were looked after by Malachy and his wonderful team. Nothing was left ot chance and the service was fabulous. I would have no problem in recommending this Hotel. This is the third year we have used the Wellington Park, and we hope to return in the not to distant future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SubmarinerBelfast
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We organised our university formal with the Wellington Park Hotel for the second year in a row since last years was such a success. I would highly recommend it for similar occasions. It is great value for money, they organise as little or as much as you need and are easy to contact regarding organisation. On the night everyone had a brilliant time and enjoyed the dinner thoroughly; compliments to the chef. The photographer was lovely and printed the photos there and then at great value. And the hotel staff were very helpful! I would definitely recommend them for future formals, especially the likes of university/young groups.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I spent 2 nights there last weekend. Nice big room, and i got a good rate via Hotels.com

I really don't understand the policy of, if you order breakfast when you check in, it's £10, but if you order on the morning it's £15? The receptionist was struggling to explain/justify it too...

That aside, you can walk 5 mins down the road to Maggie Mays & get a wonderful breakfast for £6

Good location, near Queens University & walking distance in to the City Centre.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LittleBoyBlue
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was travelling to Belfast on a short notice and the hotels I usually stay where fully booked due to events occurring during the month.

I found it very difficult finding other hotels because I did not know of the others one. This made me opt for the Expedia Secret Saver Hotel deal for the first time. The deal was 40% off on 4-Star Hotels in the location area 2 - Belfast South / University District / Belvoir Golf Course.

After doing this for the first time, it was very exciting until it was revealed I was staying at the Wellington Park Hotel. I did a quick internet search on the hotel and became disappointed because of the negative reviews of the hotel. Nonetheless I would give the hotel a chance once I stayed there.

From my stay at the hotel, upon check-in, I found the staff very rude at the reception desk as I am not use to this type of service at a hotel that claims to be 4-Star. Not received a welcome visit to Belfast or information about the hotel amenities.

The room that I stayed in was dirty, unhygienic and no space for manoeuvring. The only positive was the TV size, but there are many negatives, for example: uncomfortable bed, filthy kettle, dirty towels in the unclean shower and toilet room. The room air circulation was poor due to no air-conditioning and the inadequate infrastructure of the extractor fan.

The room window was facing the car park where most of the noise was coming from and a lot of noise from the main door entrance to the hallway when people were returning.

I checked-out on the earliest possible opportunity and will never return.

I have stayed at many 4-Star hotels in the past and this hotel does not measure up to be a 4-Star, even though it claims to be a 4-Star.

In my opinion the hotel is in a good location but needs an overall revamp.

Pay the additional cost for somewhere nicer and restful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business