“Not 4*”

Wellington Park Hotel
Ranked #33 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 18 February 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night and were very disappointed with the room. It was very dated and in need of redecoration. Our room looked nothing like the modern, well decorated rooms on the website and we felt a bit cheated to be honest. Overall, we got a good night's sleep but had we seen a photograph of the room we stayed in we wouldn't have booked.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
hgibson, Manager at Wellington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

Hello. I am sorry that you found the room dated but glad to let know that the Hotel has now completed a refurbishment of over 75% of all bedrooms. We are working hard to complete all others as soon as possible and have scheduled work over the next few months. The location of the Hotel, the spacious lounge and bar area, along with the friendly staff, you will agree, make it a popular choice for guests and we hope that we can welcome you back again very soon. Please ask to be allocated a newly refurburbished executive room - we'll be glad to upgrade you and look forward to hearing your feedback. Many thanks once again.

There are newer reviews for Wellington Park Hotel

Reviewed 13 February 2011

Wellie Park was a great part of my young life in Belfast and really looked forward to my romantic stay.
Upon my arrival on Saturday I enjoyed some good company in the large hotel bar and then left the hotel for a bite to eat. Upon my return a very lively crowd had gathered - a strange collection in the middle of a 4* - it totally took over the whole downstairs of the hotel and left nowhere quiet/non participating for residents - so after some people watching (standing as no seats) I decided to call it a night.
My room would be best described as tired (very tired) - in particular the bathroom which boasted chipped and cracked tiles. The radiator was jammed full on and to lower the temperature I had to open our viewless window - this allowed the very loud dance music and noise from lower floors to invade my room, leaving it impossible to sleep until after 0100hrs when the parties ended.
Didn't have a very good sleep at all.
On the positive - staff I met very nice and breakfast was fine if a bit busy due to large numbers.
Large downstairs seating area very relaxing and well suited for a lazy Sunday morning.
Wellie Park is in an ideal location and a much loved institution in Belfast BUT Management need to get real - it's either a large pub/dance venue for the older crowd or a 4* hotel = it can't be both this way. They also need to spend some money on a refurb - it certainly is nothing like its web page !!
It is NOT a 4* hotel at present and I would need see some major improvements to entice me back for another stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
hgibson, Manager at Wellington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Wellington Park Hotel. It is one of the most popular city centre hotels and is without doubt, lively at weekends. The first floor also has comfty sofas and plenty of seating and is a bit quieter.
The Hotel is currently being refurbished and most of the rooms are now complete with new carpets, beds, soft furnishings and feather duvets and pillows - some have also had new bathrooms fitted.
Thank you very much for your kind comments about staff and breakfast and I hope that we can welcome you back to the Wellington Park Hotel again sometime.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

From beginning to end this was one of the worst weekend breaks that my husband and I have experienced ever! On our arrival at 2.50pm we were told by the receptionist that we would have to wait at least 1 hour for the staff to finish cleaning before we could have our room key (Despite check-in being 3pm). While waiting we decided to join the other two members of our party to see what their room was like. As soon as we entered the room the smell of smoke was evident from the last occupants. When we got to our own room there was no smell of smoke just the same dated, shabby room (Not at all like the luxurious bedroom pictures shown on their website). The shower was a joke it soaked the toilet, toilet paper and floor because its height or position could not be adjusted.
The icing on the cake was at 2.30am sat night/sun morning the radiator made the strangest noise that woke us from our sleep-it was so loud I initially assumed it was a fire alarm. We played about with the radiator until the noise eventually stopped. The same thing happened again at 6pm. Not the good nights sleep we had hoped for given that we have a baby and were hoping to get a good nights rest on our hotel break away from her. At checkout we decided to tell the staff about their wonky radiator-we were not looking any compensation a simple apology would have been suffice and the knowledge that no one else would have to loose a nights sleep over the same thing was all we wanted. The receptionist was unfriendly and lacked the ability to provde a good quality customer care service deserving of a four star hotel. I have yet to hear an apology/sorry for your trouble or I will get someone to check that out today. If it was my business I would be ensuring the first and last person that my customers meet when they arrive and leave the premises leaves a good impression not a nasty taste in their mouth. The receptionist also told us he would get the management to phone us regarding our stay-i'm still waiting on the phonecall!! Needless to say we won't be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
hgibson, Manager at Wellington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2011

I am very sorry to read of the problems that you experienced at the Hotel. Please get in touch as soon as you can so that we can discuss how we can make amends and hopefully restore your faith in us. Thank you

Reviewed 15 January 2011

Clean room, clean bathroom, comfortable bed, polite staff, nice bar, good breakfast. Easy to to get in and out of. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Such caring friendly staff. Wonderful food , clean rooms , by far the best of all our accomodation whilst overseas...Free wireless internet, relaxing foyer.I will recommend this hotel to all my friends and family..

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2010

This was our first trip away with our 6 month old baby so we didn't know what to expect. From the moment we arrived the staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating.We told the person when making the booking by phone, that we had a baby and she said "no problem we will put a cot in the room for you ".Although this was not in the room upon check in ,5 minutes later it arrived.
The staff in this hotel go out of their way to make you feel welcome and it is very sincere .The food in the restaurant was good although menu was quite limited .Exceptional chocolate puddings .
Our car broke down after checking out and when we informed the manager he promptly rounded up a posse to push the car and get us started ,and it was no problem whatsoever,infact they actually seemed to enjoy it !!!
We travel to belfast quite a few times a year and this is the hotel we will be staying in from now on .

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Martin1878
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We came here for a family wedding and stayed on a few days to look around Belfast. The excellent Ulster Museum is about a minute away, as are the rather disappointing Botanical Gradens. The Ciry Centre is about 3 minutes by taxi, 20 minutes walk by road or more pleasantly, 40 minutes along the River Lagan (on the other side of the Botanical Gardens)

There are good restaurants and pubs - from "lively" to "relaxing" - in the area. The food in the hotel itself, for the wedding, the restaurant and the Bar were superb, especially the wedding meal which, from past experiences elsewhere, can be dire!

On Saturday nights, the hotel is a popular wedding/hen/stag venue and it's a good idea to keep away from the bar area if you're not involved in any of them! For the same reason, noise can be a problem on the lower floors.

Two of the rooms provided for our party were unsatisfactory (damp smell in one and too noisy in the other) but the two couples involved were given replacement rooms with no hassle.

The rooms in general, I would say, were just above "no frills" standard but what will make us come back to this hotel was the courtesy, helpfulness and friendliness of ALL the staff.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family