“love this place”
Review of The Belfast Empire

The Belfast Empire
Ranked #9 of 91 Nightlife in Belfast
Reviewed 23 July 2014

When I go out for a night with my husband we always go here.

I would say the best rock bar around. They have live bands downstairs and bar of course. Plenty of seats, it takes you to go before 9 to get a seat after that there is a £3 charge but hey good wee night out.

upstairs you pay, but they do have tribute acts and good bands there as well, samba nights, comedy nights, theres lots going on. a little hard to get a seat as its mainly standing tho again if you're there early enough you will get a seat. It is hard to get a drink here as so many are standing at the bar prob be good to put few extra staff on probably help.

I would definitely recommend a night out here and you dont have to get dressed up jeans n tshirt is good and you feel comfortable.

All reviews
"botanic avenue"
"bar staff"
"great bar"

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I took up my usual seat in the Empire, not near the front but not at the back either. It is a spot my friends and I love to frequent on a Tuesday night. There is nothing better than listening to Jake O'Kane or Colin Murphy spilling out Northern Irish Banter for a few hours to break up the week. The Gallo wine at £9.95 makes it one of the cheapest places to sink a Bottle or two in the town (Although rather upset that they have taken the pitchers of beer off the Offers board)

Now, despite starting brilliant as usual with Colin Murphy as Compere the two acts last night were disastrous. I watched as about nine people made an exit during the first act and this continued into the second act. I don't understand why these acts were chosen. I understand that some people have been a round for a while and that acts can get repetitive but surely the management of The Empire would know by now that if an act is bad not to rehire them. What annoyed me was when one of the Bar maids who was very friendly and which I was very impressed with her customer service explained that the Female act had been a listing on a previous occasion and was just as bad. Surely people paying good money for a nights entertainment deserve to get their moneys worth. We went last night expecting to pay £8 each for a decent nights Craic as usual but instead we left wanting to cry and not through laughter.

The second act wasn't as bad and at times I felt sorry for him as he was Canadian and entertaining a Northern Irish crowd with "Canadian Banter" can be challenging. I think many people were left numb after the first act and couldn't bring themselves to laugh at the second act. I also felt sorry for Colin Murphy who had to come on stage and literally wake the audience up. Despite all this it will not stop me from going back as I think The Empire is one of the best nights out in Belfast, it was just unfortunate that on this occasion it wasn't.

1  Thank BelfastReviewer87
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Went to the Empire on Tuesday for comedy night. Delighted to see Colin Murphy was MCing. It was a really really good show; barely stopped laughing from start to finish. Cocktail pitchers for only £10 which was great value. Went downstairs afterwards for more drinks; good band playing and everyone seemed to have an amazing time. Shame the place shut so early but had an amazing night.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

have been here on numerous occasions.

fantastic venue. was there on Saturday night. Headed downstairs about 8pm...the place was packed with a great guy playing acoustic guitar and vocals. He was very good and certainly had the place on its feet, even at that early hour of the evening.

About quarter to ten headed upstairs to see the ac-dc tribute band. They were brilliant! the crowd was great too, friendly and easygoing.

I will definitely be back!