Old Rectory
Malmaison(Belfast)
US$222
US$203
  • Restaurant
Ibis Belfast Queens Quarter(Belfast)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$125
US$153
  • Restaurant
Ibis Belfast City Centre(Belfast)(Great Value!)
US$176
Travelocity
US$137
US$130
Hotwire.com
All reviewsb bmalone roadhomemade granolavisa appointmenthelpful hostsguest housesmall fridgecity centreulster breakfastbus stop rightplace to stayhome away from homeensuite bathroomevery morningdinner reservationssingle roomsouth belfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 April 2011

This was a fantastic guesthouse to stay at. When we arrived we were immediately welcomed by Mary and made to feel at home. She helped us find all of the different things to do around Belfast and arranged them for us. The breakfasts were absolutely amazing and really made a great start to the day. The perfect place to stay in Belfast, away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but a cheap five minute bus ride to the city centre.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I travelled with my wife. We were welcomed & shown to our room which was very pleasant.
We stayed for two nights & had two good nights rest. Breakfast was very good on both days.
We were given plenty of advice on local area facilities. Good bus service into the city centre.

Room Tip: Close enough for the City centre.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I stayed at the Old Rectory after coming across their details on TripAdvisor. I looked up the number on the website and called to make a reservation for four days that week. I was a little surprised that I was asked for my credit card details In so far as it hasn't happen before when booking a B&B but I suppose it's normal for hotels.

Anyway I arrived after work the next day and was shown to my room and given details of facilities, WI-FI, keys etc. All good. One of the reasons I booked this B&B is that they had free WI-FI. The room was fine with a double bed and plenty of space to hang clothes, desk, good sized TV. However, the private bathroom/shower was along a hall leading to the room - not ideal but I knew about that before I booked.

Initial impressions is that the house was in good order, carpeted throughout but with that slightly musty smell you get from old houses - maybe in need of updating in areas!
It's about a 45 minute walk to the centre of Belfast but there's good transport links nearby.

The internet speed was good and I was able to catch up on some work before settling down to read and watch a little TV. I must say I found the room slightly chilly when the heating was off and I needed to put a jumper on. Also I needed to wear a t-shirt in bed - it wasn't freezing but it would have been more comfortable if it was a little warmer. The bed had layers of blankets of which I'm personally not a big fan (prefer duvets). The house is on the very busy Malone road and my room overlooked it. It was quite noisy at night but it didn't affect me too much as I always bring a set of airplugs.

You have to fill in what you would like for breakfast the night before. I had poached eggs, sausage, mushrooms, toast, tea every morning which was first class, really set me up for the day! I was working in the centre of Belfast that week and walked to work some mornings which was nice as the weather was dry.

One slight annoyance was I had to keep asking for the WI-FI to be turned on. It wouldn't be on when I arrived back from work or first thing in the morning. Not the end of the world I just couldn't understand why it wasn't left on all the time.

On my final day after breakfast I went to check out and gave my credit card as payment. I was told that only cash was accepted. I explained that when I made the reservation my credit card details were taken and I assumed I would be paying by credit card. I was told that this was not the caseand should have been explained to me and anyway it was stated on the website. Well at no point was I told that cash was the only means of payment and sorry but I didn't read the website T&Cs. As it turned out I had to drive through heavy traffic to a cash point which made me 30 minutes late for work.

While standing at the reception desk I noticed there was a sign stating the credit/debit cards are not accepted. I only noticed these when leaving. It would be much easier if this was stated at the time of booking or on arrival. It's rather confusing to take credit card details at the time of booking while not accepting them for payment!

All in all despite some inconsistencies, the not so warm room and the payment debacle my stay was acceptable. I wouldn't stay again though.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank antiguabay
123maria34, Manager at Old Rectory, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

I am very sorry that this gentleman, who stayed with us from 7-10 March 2011 was unhappy with some aspects of his stay, although he thoroughly enjoyed his breakfast which he states was ‘first class’, his comfortable room, free wifi with good speed and good transport links.

On booking this gentleman would have had a choice of either an ensuite room (bathroom within room) or a room with private bathroom, which is cheaper as the bathroom is outside the bedroom so although the bath/shower room was not ideal, it was his choice. I regret that he did not mention to us that he found the room ‘slightly chilly’ as we could have checked the radiator, sometimes guests alter the thermostatic radiator settings even turning them off/down at the wrong end which disables the thermostatic valve. We use blankets throughout the house but we do have duvets as, like non-feather pillows, some guests prefer them, but they do have to let us know their preference. We do ask, individually, at breakfast time whether our guests slept well and it is at this time that we would find out whether we can make their stay more comfortable.

In response to the comment regarding our free wifi we have changed our wifi policy and now ensure that it is available during early mornings and evenings so as not to inconvenience guests.

Regarding taking credit card details, all of the guesthouses/B&B’s I know of in Belfast take card details to guarantee bookings against no-shows or late cancellations but some, like ourselves, do not accept the cards for payment as, because we are small, we are charged between 2.5% & 4.5% depending on the card. When making a booking via telephone all guests are advised that we only take credit cards details to guarantee the booking and do not accept cards for final payment, only cash or cheques. On checking this gentleman’s booking sheet, it appears he was advised but I do understand that perhaps not everyone hears this as many questions are asked and answered during the booking process. It is for this reason that we have 2 signs, stating that credit cards are not accepted for payment, in the main hallway, one sited on the check-in desk beside where guests fill in their breakfast choices each day and another where guests exchange their keys on entry/departure, it is also stated on the ‘Rooms & Rates’ page of our website and on our email booking forms. We may now point this sign out to guests when they are checking-in or, alternatively, place a sign in each bedroom. Nevertheless, we do apologise for causing this gentleman to be late for work as our aim is to make our guests stay with us, whether for business or pleasure, comfortable.

Reviewed 31 January 2011

I stayed at the Old Rectory for a week, enjoying a different breakfast every morning. The choice is outstanding, the quality superb and one’s start into the day simply delicious. Not to mention the homely atmosphere in this well-kept B&B and the boundless kindness of the hosts.

With the bus stop at the front door, the city centre is within easy reach.

Mac-users beware: don’t expect the WiFi to work for you…

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I was applying for a US travel visa in Belfast and looked this place up online and chose to stay here as it was just a stones throw from the US embassy. I found the Old Rectory to be a very welcoming and comfortable place to stay. The staff (Mary and co) made me feel at home, the room I stayed in was very cosy and included a nice sofa as well as everything else you would expect and the breakfast menu was superb, scrambled eggs and salmon for me! At just over £40 for a single room for a night I thought it was great value. I'd have no hesitation in recommending a stay at this place to anyone. Also easy access to the city centre from here via buses, ten mins, which leave from almost right outside of the place. A satisfied customer.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business