“GREAT LOCAL BAR”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“GREAT LOCAL BAR”
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We were in Belfast for 3 days visited 9 pubs this was the friendliest place in town,lots of locals,my kind of bar.

Visited October 2011

New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“A Secret I will share--”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The first night we arrived in Belfast we ate at Robinson's. It is walking distance from The Fitzwilliam Hotel. Meals are served "upstairs", there is a pub "downstairs"--which is the main floor. Also upstairs, but through a separate entrance in the "back" (not Victoria Street) is a disco club. Anyway, we had a decent dinner at Robinson's--to tell you how good it actually was I can't, I was tired and jet lagged and happy to be eating anything at that point. Now, here comes the good part. After dessert, I asked her if there was a place we could go hear some traditional Irish music. The waitress answered "why not here? the band starts and 9:45 (which is really anywhere between 10 and 10:30). We decided to give it a whirl. When you enter Robinson's Bar from Victoria Street, you walk to the back where there are two doors-=-beyond those two doors is the best music and dancing you can imagine. The name of this place is Fibber Maggees (the back street is it's store front) but it is part of Robinson's. It is a quaint pub setting with traditional live Irish music seven days a week. We went almost every night. I will say, tho, that on Saturdays music starts at three but the place got very crowded (Saturdays). As the evening wore on the music became more contemporary, less traditional. Saturday nights appeared to be more of a club scene. I recommend Robinson's not only for a reasonably priced, but not fancy, meal but also for a great place to listen to some wonderful musicians and traditional Irish music! (there is no fee to enter Fibber Maggees)

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Ginny01OT
Camarillo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not worth it”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We hopped across the street from the Europa to have dinner at the bistro (only place after 7pm that serves food on a Sunday) hoping to find a gem of dining. Not quite. Our server was new and we had to ask for water 3 times from 3 different people. My husband's dinner was excellent. I ordered the ham, which was totally dry, came with plain mash (not cheesy like the menu said), and a few shreds of cabbage. I was disappointed with the local No.Ireland cider (stick with Magner's!). The atmosphere is great though and would be a fun place to come before a show at the Opera. Service is seriously lacking. We saw our waitress once. The other times we were served by what I can only think of as managers? We literally had to ask to be served.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Stephanie C
Liverpool, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 274 helpful votes
“Great pub - forget the bistro upstairs!”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I spent an entertaining evening in Fibber Magees listening to the traditional music and people watching. A rough and ready place "a spit and sawdust bar, packed to the rafters with old Irish artifacts" as the website describes it, I found it had a pleasant, friendly atmosphere and chatted to quite a few people. I had such a good evening I decided to go to the bistro upstairs the following evening - bad mistake.

I ordered a soup (which was reasonable) and a
"Steak & Stout Pie topped with puff pastry & served with vegetables & chunky chips". The main course arrived, hmm..... the pie wasn't really a pie, it was a piece of steak chopped up and covered with a gravy (with button mushrooms which were not on the menu, unfortunately I don't like mushrooms) and topped with a puffed pastry lid. The steak was tough, nothing like the tender slow cooked pie meat I had imagined and the pastry was like a piece of old boot leather, so hard it shot across the table and onto the floor the second time I attempted to cut it. What really finished me off was the pile of chunky swede, yes swede. When I see vegetables on a menu, I expect greens/carrots/broccoli/cauliflower, even peas but not swede on its own. I know it's Ireland but you can't tell me that it is usual in a restaurant. I wasn't impressed with the attitude of one member of staff, the waiter eventually asked me if my meal was OK, it was obvious it wasn't and said if I had complained he would have changed it, I did and he didn't.... end of meal.

Four stars for Fibber Magees and one for the Bistro, go elsewhere for your meal and come in and enjoy the music and the fun atmosphere.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank scousemouse
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 338 helpful votes
“Good Food Upstairs”
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We ate lunch upstairs sitting a window with a great view of the street below. The food was great, the atmosphere nice but the service was mediocre. Once we got our food we never saw our server again until I tracked him down to pay the bill. The food was great though and I would go back.

Visited April 2011