“EXcellent”

The Allotment Bistro Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 1,147 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Allotment Bistro serves only local fresh produce which is absolutely delicious even if i say so myself. We offer great service with a to do attitude in the restaurant and kitchen. A 5 star hygiene rating from the lovely people at the city council. Value for money menu not overpriced .Some times i think underpriced! Please try us we are a small friendly restaurant who's essence is flavour and fresh! Thanks for taking the time to read
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Very friendly athmosphere from start to finish. Food was excellent quality and a fair price. Operates a BYO policy with no charge for corkage which is a great bonus. Ideal location. We both had duck and it was cooked to how we both liked it , one pink the other slightly more done - delicious sauce/gravy and large portions.

6  Thank accountsclerk

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We had steak and Sea Bream - both beautifully cooked. Staff were friendly and service was quick. The only negative points were the lack of heat and the basic 'cafe' interior.

6  Thank SeaMist6
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Very bistro, small with a buzz! Busy on a Friday night, but quick and friendly service. Top marks to the food! We had duck and lamb, both excellent flavour, with a delicious sauce/gravy. Personally thought the coffee (local Johnsons, espresso for us) had no bite, tasted more like decaf! And we got charged for starters when we didn't have any, though quickly rectified. I lost a scarf but it was kept aside for me to collect.

5  Thank norahdavis
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I also visited the allotment on 28th Oct and couldnt be more pleased with my experience.Yes it was a cold night but once seatted and settled it was fine .Service was second to none food excellent most enjoyable .My husband and Ihad the prawns and camember for starters which we both swapped for a taste, delicious .Then he had the sea bream and i had the steak both dishes very high standard and piping hot compliments to the chef ,finishing with tiramisu .can i just say from my experience I would give the food 10 out of 10 .No not a fancy restaurant there is one at the other end of the st if thats what your looking for, but what we got was value for money.( I too had a voucher ) no corckage charge overall an enjoyable meal .At the time we ate there were two parties of four a large party of six men another party of five and from my observations no complaints from any of them .

5  Thank mrsquig
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Visited here with a grabone voucher, I'm so glad it was a voucher, if I'd been paying full prices I'd have been gutted!
Before even getting to the food, this is obviously a cafe masquerading in the evening as a restaurant - I would suggest sticking to what you're good at! Lacking in atmosphere, so cold my husband kept his coat on for the full meal and the lighting is completely wrong - far too bright.
Moving on to the food - we shared a plate of bread and oils/dips, this was the highlight of the meal and I have no complaints. For the mains we had sea bream and duck. The sea bream was very good, though be warned it does come complete with head which some may find off putting.
The duck however was a serious disappointment. I love my meat rare, however what I got was closer to raw. One of the things I love about duck is well rendered fat thus giving lovely crispy skin, what was set in front of me looked like the skin had never made contact with a pan. As for the rest of it, closer to raw than rare or even blue. In fairness it was taken back when I asked and cooked to rare and was actually very tasty when returned to me, although the same can't be said for the skin! At this point I was mildly disappointed but reckoned it was no major problem and had been dealt with appropriately - the waitress was very apologetic. However I was then advised by the other female member of staff that rare duck is served pink, this was done in such a way that I was made to feel there was no issue with what had been served, rather that I obviously haven't got a scooby about food. This was coming from some one who hadn't even seen the piece of raw meat, cold in the middle that had been set in front of me. There was no need for this person to get involved and in fact she is the reason I will not return to the allotment.

3  Thank robertandsimone