“Best kebabs ever”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
“Best kebabs ever”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Best kebab place ever, good service, always busy. Quite pricey but you get proper meat, two large kebabs, one chip and one bottle will set you back £27 or thereabouts, we think it's worth it

Visited March 2014
sphinxkebabs, Owner at The Sphinx, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi Ginethomson5, thank you for your kind review.
I think you have made a mistake in your calculations, Large Kebab on bread is £6.50, chip £2.75 & a 500ml bottle is £1.30, so for 2 Large Kebabs on bread, 1 chip & 1 x 500ml bottle is £17.05 & not £27.

Belfast
“overpriced rubbish :(”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I ordered a medium kebab with bread and salad - paid nearly a fiver for it too. What I asked for and what I got were 2 very different things!! I was presented with a pitta bread, filled (and use the term 'filled VERY lightly..) with tasteless, greasy, fatty pieces of meat topped with a measly bit of lettuce and 2 very soggy bits of diced tomato. It was so minuscule, it wouldn't have satisfied a hungry child - if this was their medium sized kebab, I'd hate to see what a small would look like! It was just a sweaty, inedible, congealed mess. This was my first kebab from The Sphinx and unfortunately, it will be the last.

1 Thank TeaLady86
sphinxkebabs, Owner at The Sphinx, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi TeaLady86, thank you for your review on 16th March, we take all reviews seriously, we would like you to contact us on 02890681881 to discuss your complaint
London, United Kingdom
“Please bring back Mohamed”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Guys I had one on bread with extra sauce the other night. The meat was just heated up in the microwave. It tasted dreadful and I gave most of it to our dog. Cast your mind back to the original owner. I've been going for 20 years and I'm pretty much finished now with this place. Did Mohamed put meat I to the metal container and reheat? No he did not. There is no excuse for this vile practice - maybe in a kebab van outside an English nightclub. Lastly - can you not see that sphinx is going down the can? 21 good votes and 21 terrible votes. Not good and a barometer of where you are at now. Please don't reply with contact the place to rectify the problem. What's the point? Sort it out - ask Mohamed to come back and trouble shoot. My suggestion - shut down the place and make more money selling your sauce. It's a shame it has come to this now.

sphinxkebabs, Owner at The Sphinx, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi archifrew, Thank you for your comments & concerns, Mohammed retired almost 8 years ago in 2006, There is certain times that we need to re-heat our kebab. Im sure you know from being a loyal customer for almost 20 years that we cook our Kebab through out the day & there is only so much we can slice of at a time. In response to some of the terrible reviews we have received on Trip Advisor we feel not all are genuine, in fact we have received 4 terrible reviews from 1 so called customer, we can be contacted from 12pm-12am 7 days per week to deal with any complaints, the number is 02890681881
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Not the best experience”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Went to spinx with my pal.got 2 chicken kebab on rice.was a terrible choice.got 3 bits of chicken sum salad and sauce on a bed of so called rice.i think they forgot to cook/boil this rice it was hard.the girl on till asked us wat we wanted on it.she didnt give us a second to think then asked us again which was a bit rude.we both tossed it in the bin.we paid a tenner for that.fast food outlets dont care anymore they just want the next customer in an out.anybody giving a good review bout here is drunk when they go.i wont b back

sphinxkebabs, Owner at The Sphinx, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi trojan234, thank you for your comments, can you please call 02890681881 & speak to a shift supervisor who will be very happy to deal with your complaint
“Soggy kebab”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I ordered some food at the sphinx this evening and will not be returning! Having worked a 12 hour day mysel and my family decided to treat ourselves with a takeaway and having visited Sphinx before thought it was a good call. On walking in I noticed the awards on the wall for best Kebab in Northern Ireland, I decided this was a 'no brainer' and decided to go for this. On placing my order I noticed the lady serving was under a bit of pressure but none the less was getting through the orders nicely. When I came to order I asked for my kebab and also a chip. I was not asked about salads or sauces which is foregiveable as it was moderately busy. I brought this to the ladies attention and a huge row commenced between herself and another staff member because this was not mentioned under the original order. The language was rough and borderline inappropriate and although it didn't bother me personally, people around me had awkward smiles and an uncomfortable atmosphere insued. I left still fairly satisfied that I would be tucking into a lovely kebab shortly, but then I opened the wrapper! What I found was a well below average size kebab ( I paid ��6.50 for a large) which had been saturated to the core in oil and juice from the kebab meat and onions. This rendered the pita bread 'soggy' and and not tasty at all!
I was lost for words but as I was hungry began to eat it. Half way through I could eat no more the bread was soaked and the meat was freezing to boot. The 1 plus was that the chips were good but the experience overall was horrendous. I will not be back and unfortunately my total order cost me ��12+ to find out the sphinx definatley has not got the best Kebab in Stranmillis never mind Northern Ireland!

sphinxkebabs, Owner at The Sphinx, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi Focal1983, we take all complaints seriously, i would like to look into this more by firstly can you tell me when you where in the shop? It says you reviewed The Sphinx on Thursday 27th February, was this the day you visited? I can be contacted on 02890681881