“Excellent food and service”
Review of The Welcome

The Welcome
Ranked #1 of 1,087 Restaurants in Belfast
Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opened in 1982 by the then Lord Mayor Tom Patton, The Welcome Restaurant is the longest established family run Chinese Restaurant in Northern Ireland.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I've eaten here twice recently on work nights out and both times have found the food, decor and service to be excellent. The staff were very attentive and friendly, and had no issues accommodating some of our pickier colleagues requests for changes to the options on the menu. Waiting times were good and there is a plentiful supply of free prawn crackers if you check in on Facebook.

The menu itself was a good size with 6 or seven starters and 8 or nine main courses, so all dishes feel well thought out and different. A lot of Chinese and Indian restaurants suffer from offering a ten page menu and doing nothing well. I'm a great believer in 'Jack of all trades master of none'.

I can definitely recommend the duck pancakes for two starter if you can talk someone into sharing it with you (although I'd happily eat the lot myself). The honey chili chicken is also worth a mention.

Finally the location is very good, there are plenty of residential side-streets nearby which are normally easy to get parked in. There is also a modern trendy bar with live music two doors down which is great for a few drinks after the meal, and several other bars within a short walk as it is in quite a trendy student area.

3  Thank Akira44
There are newer reviews for The Welcome

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had a really good night out at the welcome. The chicken curry has been my favourite curry from any chinese restaurants i've ever been to. The service was great and there was a really good atmosphere. No complaints.

2  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

New lay out doesn't really work. It has been cold every time I have been there recently and the new menu fuarly uninspiring. One of the best dishes is chilli peppers stuffed with prawns with black bean sauce and it's off the new menu. You can get it on request and its worth getting! Its pricy too - a pretty mean side order of noodles is a fiver and all sides are extra. Althought the food in general is very good. Please improve the value welcome and the atmosphere and we'll be back to being regulars!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Decided to revisit the Welcome in Stranmillis to celebrate Valentines day.The weather was apalling but the greeting we received made the atmosphere instantly welcoming.We used to frequent this establishment regularly when living close-by many years ago & it still serves fabulous food in pleasant surroundings.Staff were lovely & even though we had not made a reservation on a busy night , they squeezed us in.The menu whilst not extensive , offers traditional Chinese cuisine with a few specials of their own.Food is of a high standard & service friendly & charming.The main courses took a little time to come but it was a busy night & I expect that everything is freshly cooked to order.Our starters were amazing & main courses did not disappoint.There was no room for dessert but all the ladies were presented with a fresh red rose , just about to bloom on the way out.A lovely evening & we will make this journey again v.soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We were having a few drinks in a nearby bar and decided to give the Welcome chinese a go for dinner last night.

We were left feeling bitterly disappointed and out of pocket.

I went for the garlic and chilli chicken. I do like garlic but the dish was swimming in it, the chilli was nowhere to be seen. The chicken also tasted like it had been reheated.

My partner opted for the duck. It was tough, yet didn't look thoroughly cooked in some parts (despite taking over 25 minutes to arrive). The portion size was also extremely small.

We felt the bill was very expensive for what we got (2 mains as above, 3 side dishes, 1 glass of red wine & a jug of tap water) - came to £41. We felt ripped off, disappointed, not to mention still hungry!

We wont be returning.