“Won't be rushing back”

Abacus Cantonese Restaurant
Ranked #616 of 1,043 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Won't be rushing back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I used to be a regular here when I lived on the same street. It was always consistently good food and value. Took the family along and ordered a mixed starter for two to share, 3 mains with one noodle and two rice. Wife had a couple of Tiger and myself and one of the kids had two large coke each. Was pretty shocked to see the bill come to just under £85.
Turns out when I got the bill the large Coke were £5 each. I had assumed when the waitress offered a large or regular Coke it must have been draught (as you'd be offered in a takeaway for example) as opposed to two split bottles of Coke at full-price. Drinks ended up costing over £35.
Part of me can't help thinking it's a pretty sneaky way of gouging a few extra pounds out of the customer. The first thing you see in the menu is also 'minimum spend £10 per head', which further fuels my train of thought on this one.

Mains are pricey enough as it is, typically £9-£10 plus side on top. Have to say the staff were lovely and service very good overall, but at nearly £30 per head for a curry and a few drinks I'll not be rushing back.

3 Thank Stenkenbaum

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Top quality Cantonese”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I am a regular visitor to Belfast, staying over most weeks for a few days. Abacus is top of my regular places to eat, excellent food and service. Recommend anything sweet and sour, the presentation is excellent - top chefs. I'll be happy when they get a chess board so I can take Ted up on his challenge.

• Visited October 2013
Portavogie
“Great Chinese Food in Belfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Happened to be in Belfast a couple of evenings ago and decided to go out for a bite to eat with our daughter and her boyfriend. We headed to the Abacus .... just off the Malone Rd / Eglantine Ave. area. We didnt have a table booked but were shown to a table as soon as we arrived. The food arrived promptly and was delicious......... just as nice a chinese meal as I've had in a long time. The service was excellent.... with the guy who served us totally intent on making sure our every whim was catered for and he was extremely polite. What a pleasant change to get service like this in todays society.... of dont care less !! Would definately go back.... and would recomment to anyone wanting to eat in that area.

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“What a wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have eaten at restaurants in the Chinatown districts of London and Manchester. This was well up with the best. We were made very welcome by friendly staff and treated to delicious food that was a world away from your high-street takeaways, served in a comfortable and attractively decorated environment. Another surprise was the extremely reasonably priced wines. I chose a bottle of Chilean red for under £11.

• Visited September 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“SOOOO GOOOOD!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Its hard to find great Chinese restaurants that deliver great service, great food and great portions!!!But the Abacus does that. We were greeted on arrival and promptly seated with menus and drinks orders. What followed was a choice of the traditional menu and the authentic Chinese menu. We decided to go for both and we are so glad we did! I had never had Dover Sole Chinese style before and it had to be the most delicious thing I had ever had! I never knew Chinese food could be so clean and delicate. My other half went for the "standard" Chicken Chow mein and he said it was the best he ever had, It was a meal in it self with plently of shredded chicken,vegetables and sauce. Having been recommended it by a friend I would recommend it to you.

• Visited May 2013