“A three night stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Botanic Lodge

Botanic Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belfast
Botanic Lodge
Trefnant
“A three night stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I arrived for three nights after my over night sailing to Dublin and motorbike journey up to Belfast on the off chance of checking in early around mid day. Reception was very busy so I was asked to wait in the lounge and would be attended to. Due to rooms being prepared presumably due to being fully booked given my room about 4 that afternoon. Given a twin room and told I would be moved to another room later during my stay. My second floor room was clean and comfortable with an en-suite shower room and toilet. There are many good pubs, restaurants and cafes close by. Had my full cooked breakfast which was excellent served until ten with a variety of choice and good service. Did the open top bus tour of the City fully recommended. Got moved to a single room with shared bathroom/toilet facilities for the last night. I was traveling solo and would say the stay was good value. Staff were helpful. Fired the bike up and headed home.

Room Tip: The building is not on the main road so rooms fairly quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SteveTrefnant

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

Botanic Lodge should have been a safe choice for staying based on its size and location however immediately after arriving i regretted it! An old building, fair enough, this could actually be charming but no! it was dirty, undecorated, actually very dirty! with towels lying everywhere and a musty smell. The girl at the front desk was disgraceful, didn't care, uneducated with explaining what there is for tourists to do other than clubbing in places i happen to know are for commoners - like herself and i immediately felt unsafe and pointless to argue or complain. The room was tiny, no bedside lockers let alone lamps and the en suite so small and dirty i actually used the communal one instead which although just as dirty it was very slightly bigger. The TV didn't work properly, was older than the hills as was my mattress that I hated giving into and having to lie on. What i cannot understand is i could have stayed in a premier inn, in the city centre!!! for less money. i didn't have breakfast having being told it would be better if we didn't eat because the staff had too much to do. The 'lady' i'm assuming was the owner was remarkably ignorant. I don't think she was out of her depth, she just didn't care. I found all other staff to be the same. I would never stay here again I wouldn't recommend it in fact I wouldn't even mention the name to anybody!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank frankly10

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Coleraine, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

I have stayed in a few B and Bs in my time but this is one of the worst places I have ever stayed in ! It was fairly expensive for the room and we paid for an upgrade to an ensuite which was a glorified warderobe with a sliding door - very pleasant ! The walls were filthy, the beds lumpy and disgusting curtains on the windows. We were then kept awake all night by next doors television blaring, I was too scared to take a shower in the morning because I was scared I might come out dirtier than I went in. We also declined the breakfast service for the same sort or rationale (cafe renoir next door highly recommend) and to top it all off we got a bang on the door ten minutes before check out to tell us to leave ! words fail me.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ew150
Omagh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

I stayed here in April of this year and I must say I wasnt expecting much for the price (£30 standard) however I was plesantly surprised. The staff were more than helpful with my queries, they went out of their way to make my stay a plesant one. Clean sheets, clean towels,old but cosy room, cooked breakfast and made feel welcome. Although the building is very old the staff have done their best to keep it to a clean an presentable standard, the owner told me that they are completely renovating the b+b very soon. I would definitely recommend this b+b also as it is in an ideal location, surrounded by tastey restraunts, shops, Queens university a stones throw away, bus stop right outside door. you couldnt get better for the price!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

i had a lovely stay. old building full of character, really nice staff, very good breakfast. the manager told me that they are going to refurbish some time in autumn. i definitely recommend that place, very easy to get to the botanic gardens, the uni and the city centre with all the pubs, restaurants and shops. they also gave me a lot of tips about what to visit in belfast and the other main attractions in northern ireland. i will come back!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
Tilburg, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

I would not recommend Botanic Lodge to anyone. The place is old, dirty and in a very poor condition. The girl that helped us seemed nice, but wasn't very interested. The room was tiny, all the closests were crooked, it smelled very stuffy and I had to walk a long way to the nearest toilet in the hallway. I did'nt even looked for the shower. The bed was in a very bad condition (I could feel the spings and it felt like the edges were hanging down, so if there's two of you in bed, you constantly feel like you're gonna roll out of bed). The breakfast was poor and again the staff (same girl) seemed uninterested. When I asked another girl working there about a brochure I found at there reception (about a politcal mural tour with a black cab), she had no clue what it was about. So no help at all. The only good thing about Botanic Lodge is its location, only 10 min. walk from town centre.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The state of the place
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Drijntje
West Midlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2008

This is absolutely true, no need to embelish -We usually research where we stay but on this occasion went along with a recommendation from a local. We now know that was only because it was the closest cheap (at £45 a night) B&B to where we neeeded to be that night. It was certainly not worth half that amount.
Five of us arrived at 2pm (after a flight) with an hour to spare before a meeting, which is why we didn't just walk out.
On arrival got left in the doorway with lot's of heavy equipment, not even invited in. From then on it was a catalogue of insults mainly from the woman who seemed to be in charge. She and another woman appear to be running the place and were completely out of their depth, had no manners and were rude and insulting.
A few quotes "I'm busy!" You are wasting my time" "It would be better for us if you didn't have a cooked breakfast we're very busy" The place looked like it had been furnished from a skip, there were dirty towels all over the floor at the bottom of the staircase, the breakfast room was still dirty at 2pm, sheets were threadbare, breakfast under cooked so inedible. Tv's don't work-just for show. Could only find one toilet and one shower on each floor and there are quite a few rooms. I sat on a sofa and was almost pierced by a metal spike!
At one point I asked to speak to the owner and was told " I am not disturbing her for you" I tried to call the owner - no reply.
Luckily we had only booked one night. There are other places to stay close by, which we didn't know at the time. It was so bad that we stayed out after our meeting and didn't return to the room to get changed for the evening. Good luck if you choose to stay here.

I would welcome an explanation / refund from the owner......................

• Liked — Honestly nothing
  • Disliked — The rude staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business