“Worth a visit! Just get the portion sizes right!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$0 - US$9
Cuisines: Mexican, Fast food
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Seating, Takeout
Description: We are a fast Casual restaurant serving Authentic Mexican Food. We are known for huge portions, great service, and good prices. We make everything in house from our salsas, rice, beans, to our succulent Carnitas. We marinate our own meats and cook everything fresh. Come check us out and try some real Mexican Food. Located on the Lisburn Road, next to Ryan's Bar.
Newtownards, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit! Just get the portion sizes right!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've had in total 3 visits to Chalco's so far and like many people I decided to try it after being loyal to boojum. My first visit was probably the best. It was on the 23rd December and was about 7pm at night, The girl serving me was quite small and had blonde hair tied back - she was enthusiastic and approachable. To-go, I ordered a Chicken burrito bowl with grilled peppers, lettuce and 2 different types of salsa - tomato and mild. My takeaway was literally bursting with chicken and vegetables - the portion size was fantastic and the girl really give me the most for my money - all for £5! I also got complimentary tortilla chips thrown in at no extra cost!

However, I've had 2 recent visits - one last week and one last night and was served by 2 different girls - one tall and dark haired (at lunch time) and one tall and brown haired (at dinner time last night). Both were very friendly and professional but seemed soo skimpy when filling my take-away up - at both times it was literally half the size of my first visit! Plus like boojum, they have also had a price increase - as I noticed last night - cost me £5.50 for the same thing - which according to the portion size I didn't get my moneys worth.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the place hands down to boojum for a number of reasons:

1. Staff are nicer and more genuine - believe this is because they are not as rushed.
2. The place has a warm feel to it and cosy atmosphere.
3. Food tastes far more authentic and there is more choice for different meat fillings.
4. They throw in complimentary tortilla chips at no extra charge.
5. You get two types of salsa for no extra charge.
6. No long lines.
7. They do have their own loyalty card and after 8 visits (not 10!) you get a free burrito.

They only advice I would give to Chalco's to keep their customers and promote themselves, is train their staff to increase their portion sizes, so that you truly feel like you are getting your money's worth!

Definitely worth a visit - take the chance and try it one night instead of a boojum! :)

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank kirstyaameredith

• Polish first
“Good Alternative but not the Belfast King of the Burrito”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

After being a Boojum regular I decided to try Chalcos as an alternative. Dont get me wrong this is not a bad review and the burrito I got along with the service and value for money was top class. Its just when I compare it to Boojum it just comes in 2nd place each time, however I do advise you give it a go and if Im passing I will certainly be calling back.

• Visited November 2013
Omagh, United Kingdom
“Good food Great Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I've eaten at Chalco's. I didn't enjoy the food as much the first time but thought I'd give it a second chance. The food drastically improved the second time, don't know different cook maybe? The portions sizes are good, I even had to take some home! So well worth the price! I was served by a Caoimhe and Matthew both times and their a credit to the business! Friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable about the menu. Overall I highly recommend!

• Visited December 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent - Flawless Mexican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Myself and two colleagues ate in Chalcos this evening and I felt compelled to leave a review. This is without question the best burrito place in Northern Ireland. I have eaten proper home cooked burritos in Mexico (around 10 years ago, granted) and Chalcos must be the closest thing to them I've tried since. The selection is great - they don't just do Burritos but offer a full Mexican menu including fried jalapeno starts, fries, chicken wings and the works. As well as the usual Chili Con Carne, rice, tacos, fajitas and so on. I believe it is a little cheaper than rivals Boojum as you get a free drink included with most of the meals. Guacamole is also free and they don't charge for chips and salsa on the side. The staff are also professional and very friendly - particularly a young gentleman by the name of Matty or Matthew? We were offered a glass of home made lemonade free which was absolutely amazing - I must get the recipe next time I'm in! Will continue to go here again and again and again - cannot fault it and would strongly recommend to anyone with a penchant for spice and good home cooked Mexican food.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Danny M
“Cold burritos...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Second time here, usually go to bojum where food always hot. No excuse for chicken being cold at 11.45 in the morning. Meant that whole burrito was cold. Disappointing.

• Visited November 2013