“Overall OK - disappointed with a few things though”

Crowne Plaza Belfast
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I booked a night away for Valentines as this hotel had some good package deals for a romantic night away for the 2 of us. Upon arrival, everything was fine as we arrived in our room, the roses, champagne & chocolates were there as booked. I thought the champagne could have been in an ice bucket though. We were booked to have our meal at 9 in the main restaurant in the hotel. The waitress was very nice taking our order. However, in general, the meal experience was disappointing. It was a 5 course meal: Starter, Sorbet, Main, Dessert, Tea/Coffee. Just to outline the problems: 1. We were in the middle of our starter when someone else came over wondering if we wanted to order dessert!! Did already thanks. When we finished the starter, the MAIN course came out. Where is the Sorbet we asked? We agreed to have it after the main to save on the wait. After the Sorbet, we were waiting some time for our dessert, and it felt like they were waiting for us to leave. Fair play to our original waitress, she cam over and organised the dessert. I wouldn't have minded if they were busy, but there were only 3 couples left. Then, the following morning we booked for a massage at 9am as agreed at the time of booking, only to find out that morning that the spa opens at 1pm. In fairness to the receptionist, he tried his best to rectify the situation, and gave us vouchers and took massage off bill. The room was nice and warm which was a plus, and it was a relaxing time. Liked the bar too.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,687)

Reviewed 10 February 2009

Just back from 4 nights in the ramada at a conference. I have to say I loved the venue and the facilities.
The staff were friendly and could not do enough for us throughout our stay.
I will be going back there again with my girlfriend.
I would be wary of the Black cabs going from Central Station. We were charged 15GBP for the journey but we later found out that the average price is less that 8GBP. Either haggle or order a hackney or normal taxi !!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank carnaree
Reviewed 1 February 2009

I stayed here in November and again in December. It can be very good value. Our main quibble was that we booked two nights on the internet at £79, which was great value, but when we needed to stay a third night in the same room they wanted to charge us £139 and wouldn't budge, even though it was for an unexpected family funeral. The pool was cold and you are quite restricted in the times you can use it. We ate in the bar one night, but I wouldn't recommend it.; food was edible but the atmosphere was like a church hall social. Breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Stayed here whilst visiting my husband's family. There was plenty of parking, and a smart, airy reception area. It looked freshly refurbished, the sheets were crisp and white. The TV had plenty of channels to choose from. My only niggle was that the room was a bit on the cold side, but, overall, would reccommend it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2008

Stayed at this hotel with my husband and son to attend an interprovincial hockey tournament nearby. When I booked the hotel on the hotels website, it said that the family rooms had 2 Queen Size beds suitable for up to 4 people. The 2 beds were small doubles (4 feet wide) and certainly not big enough for 2 people each. A Queen size bed is 5 Feet wide. I think that this false description is sharp practice and highly questionable.
The first night, I hardly got a wink of sleep as my son kicked and poked me all night. If I had known the size of the beds, I would not have booked this hotel for 3 of us!!
The second night, the staff provided a rollaway and this led to a reasonable nights sleep.
Another problem was the smell in the bathroom. Firstly, they tried to flush out the drains, but no improvement. Then I realised that the shower curtain smelled terrible, and it was changed. This is not the first impression you want in a hotel!!

On the plus side, the breakfast was included, and it was pretty good. Also the swimming pool was a good size and clean.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2008

There are a number of flaws with this hotel which are overcome by the staff. The WiFi didn't work and there didnt seem to be great effort to fix it (one of the reasons I chose to stay here 'cos I needed it for work). However the staff helped me print, email etc etc which helped enormously.

There's a health club, a spa and parking. The restaurants are fine but no worse than any business hotel.

There is a shuttle service to and from Belfast and the airport but be very specific in booking it.

The rooms are very spacious, very comfortable and the bathrooms average but perfectly adequate.

The best of all is value for money. With breakfast included in the price, this place competes well with any nearer to the city and taxi rides in Belfast are not expensive.

It is a peaceful setting.

The food is a little over priced, but most hotels are these days.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank N L
Reviewed 8 September 2008

We had our wedding reception at this hotel in May. The actual wedding reception itself and how they managed it was fine. However, the attitude of the staff to the bridal party on the night prior to the wedding and on the day of the wedding left a lot to be desired.

The bridal party stayed in the hotel the night before the wedding. The reception staff were surly and unhelpful. There was no one to help the bridal party with their bags on their arrival. As such they had to haul everything themselves. There were a few enquiries made in relation to the wedding and storing the likes of the cake. These were met with a general nothing to do with me, and what do you want me to do about it.

They had a request for a late check out so they could prepare for the wedding. The reception staff continually harassed them on the morning and early afternoon of the wedding to get out of their rooms despite the late checkout. When the manager was requested and it was explained that they were preparing for a wedding and had requested late check out and could they please be left in peace to prepare for the wedding, the manager said oh the staff did not know they were in the wedding party. This is despite the reception staff sending requested champagne to the room, calling them to tell them the wedding photographers had arrived and again to tell them the car had arrived to pick them up.

As a result they had the bride in tears in her wedding day and due to their constant interruptions late for her wedding.

There were a number of other incidences where the behaviour and manner of the hotel left a lot to be desired.

In general, they were inconsiderate, inflexible and definitely would not recommend staying there for a wedding.

When the above was pointed out to them in the form of a letter, the response was fairly typical. They glossed over our grievances and highlighted what had went well. Basically said glad to hear you enjoyed the wedding reception, which had been fine, and if we would like to stay with them again then we could have a 20% discount - whoopy doo.

• Stayed: May 2008