“excellent”
Review of Shuttersheep Photo Safari - CLOSED

Shuttersheep Photo Safari
More attraction details
Owner description: If you love photography and travel, why not join a Shuttersheep Photo Safari? A professional photographer will guide you around popular local travel locations, such as Belfast City Centre and the Causeway Coast, while giving you great advice and tips on composition, lighting, and exposure. All cameras and skill levels welcome. Be prepared for fun and great picture postcard moments!
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Belfast by night made me appreciate the sights of Belfast. Loved it. Highly recommended. And as a local taking part on the tour was slightk embarrassed by my lack of knowledge of Belfast. Good fun.

1  Thank scoobyscout

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Have attended on more than one occasion and can recommend without hesitation or bribe, interesting and excellent value for money, will be attending another in near future!!! Gillian taking care of bookings extremely helpful, communicative and efficient....Phillip seems to be a very calm and approachable guy who is expert at unravelling the technical jargon for us neophytes and had us capturing some fantastic scenes in a short space of time. A well organised and reliable business. Go for it! Dress for weather and don't forget to bring a ziplock freezer bag to protect cam/lens against inevitable and accursed rain

4  Thank Arthur C
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Here are a great pair of city safaris, both are full of great tips and brought some reality to the sometimes baffling world of DSLR for me. You bring your camera, a tripod and in my case total lack of skill! Phillip is entertaining and educational, he goes through the key points needed to get your camera set up and has you taking great photos without even realising it. I now have some fantastic camera skills to use in several situations. The group was just about large enough with several keen photographers on each trip. A pleasant stroll around Belfast on a Saturday morning and Thursday night (warmimg cup of hot chocolate thrown in for free) and at least three great photos to print and proudly frame on each trip. Plus the essential added bonus of actually knowing what I am doing when producing my camera in future and feeling confident to use a tripod when needed.
I cannot recommend this experience highly enough and am looking forward to booking my third,
the snow safari is next for me!

1  Thank jaymac92opa
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Booking online was straightforward, and although the workshop had to be rescheduled due to heavy rain, there was lots of communication and a new time slot was booked.

So last night, my eldest daughter and I headed to Starbucks at Victoria Square, Belfast, wrapped up warm with cameras and tripods at the ready. We met up with Philip from Shutter Sheep and with only one "student", we headed over the Lagan to our location for most of the evening.

There was lots of practical tips and Philip shared his advice for choosing the correct settings for each of our cameras. With us all on Manual, we learned how to choose our focus, ISO, appeture etc. At one point Sammy the Seal swam past for a closer look.

As the sun began to set we were able to see how the light, wind and calmness of the water changed. We were treated to a flask of hot chocolate as we waited. Philip demonstrated with ND Filters how they could help bring out the details in landscape photography.

Eventually we got to the magic "blue hour", and with lots of encouragement from Philip we got some beautiful images.

Overall it was a great night. I learned so much, Philip was very patient, and his enthusiasm for photography was infectious.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

The Causeway coast Photo Safari had been my daughter's idea and I wondered what I was in for as I headed off in hiking boots and waterproofs with spare lenses, tripod, plastic bags (to protect cameras from salt spray) extra memory cards, batteries and, oh yes, my camera! The weather was wild and windy with intermittent drizzle - not the sort of day I would usually associate with good photo opportunities but how wrong was I! After an initial assessment of our knowledge or lack of it, Philip condensed a photographer's handbook of information into digestible chunks which he clearly conveyed to the group and then patiently tested us on it to make sure the theoretical basics were secure before we started putting it all into practice. It must have been Finn McCool's wife's wash day as the sea was thick with foam which the wind whipped up at times into snow-like flurries, so even setting up a tripod had its challenges. We were encouraged to keep clicking and to capture the elements, experimenting with f-stops and shutter speeds to discover the potential of our cameras and I found that the complicated fog that had so often clouded my ability to move from the relative safety of the 'automatic' setting began to lift. I now have photographs of the Causeway that help me see it through fresh eyes. For me it is a bonus that they were taken in conditions that are rarely captured on postcards or calendars and I am grateful for the help and guidance of a teacher with enthusiasm and passion for 'painting with light'. Much practice and effort will still be needed on my part to keep the momentum going but as a stimulus for developing a better understanding of what makes a good photograph, a Shuttersheep workshop is ideal so I am looking forward to booking another on a different theme in the not too distant future. For now I have a great reminder of this first one as a screensaver on my laptop and my daughter gets full marks for such an enjoyable and original gift.