“Few hiccoughs but turned out great”
Review of Ten Square

Ten Square
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Few hiccoughs but turned out great”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I thought about not doing a review at all rather than being crytical as my mum always told me 'if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all' BUT all's well that ends well! I stayed for two nights with a friend. We arrived VERY early but the receptionist, after giving us a lovely welcome, checked and found the room could be made available within a short amount of time. I have stayed at this hotel previously and was stunned by the decor of the room the first time so was excited to show my friend how lovely it was. The room we stayed in was next door to the room I'd previously stayed it and to all intense and purpose was the same EXCEPT all the niceties had gone. I remember the room being we stocked with curios which made it a little bit special - this room was very nice but lacked the wow factor. No problem though - it looked clean and well maintained. After the receptionist left we went into the bathroom and the door knob fell off - no probs - housekeeping sorted it out. Housekeeping should have been a bit more thorough though as when we went to have a shower we noticed that one of the bathrobes (nice touch I thought) had makeup around both sides of the collar (not a nice touch). I phoned reception who quickly had another brought up and apologised perfusely. That evening we had a light dinner in the restaurant (having already filled out tummies with the fabulous Irish Stew in The Crown) and, after oggling for sometime at the fabulous pictures in the ladies loo's, noted that there was no toilet roll in any of the cubicals. At this point, I approached reception and asked if the hotel had changed hands in the last 3 years (which it has) and I though 'not for the better'. I'm not a complainer where its not due and I certainly wouldnt be rude or moany but a clean bathrobe and toilet paper cant be much to ask for. By now I was thinking well everything else seems fine and next visit I'll maybe try a different hotel.
The staff completely changed my mind as they were very apologetic, friendly and did everything to make up what had happened.
These were errors that I am sure will not happen again. It was a long bank holiday weekend - the toilet holders look like the kind that are filled by an independent company and its quite feasable that after a busy bank holiday they've all run out. I suppose someone should have noticed but after I mentioned it there was an abundance. The bathrobe was a housekeeping error but we've all overlooked things at sometime.
I would stay at Ten Square again. Its perfectly situated for just about everything. The bus from both airports drops you right outside the doors. The hotel has an outside varandah and a busy bar/restaurant. Breakfast is taken on the first floor which is far better than last time I stayed when it was served downstairs. The breakfast is sufficient to last you all day.
We had a great few days in Belfast and the hiccoughs were just a minor issue.
Ailsa & Julie
p.s. if you want somewhere quirky and fabulous to eat (out of the hotel) - try Made in Belfast on Wellington Street. Its a 2 minute walk but I would suggest booking. The food is extremely good.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
N Ireland
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Stayed on a Sunday night on their "EatDrinkSleep" package 1 nights B&B and dinner for 2 @ £110.00. We were upgraded to a Superior Room and the staff at reception made us feel really welcome and were very informative.
Room was really nice - huge bed which was very comfortable and a really good mini bar and all the usual goodies!! We were give free movies as well which was a really nice touch.
We had lunch in the dining room - they had live Jass which was really good and the atmosphere was really relaxed - staff were efficent without being pretentious.
We had dinner that evening as part of the package which was 3 courses - good selection and the manager came over and advised that we could pick alternatives from the A La Carte if we couldnt find anything we liked - so unlike other hotels where they are so rigid with their deals. The food was excellent really enjoyable.
We really could not fault the hotel - checking out was efficent and the young lady was very pleasant - we didnt make it for breakfast we were just too full from dinner!
Well done Ten Square the accomodation is really good but its your staff that make it a 5* experience - well done!

Room Tip: Try the bar snacks they were really good value.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Perfectly situated this hotel can boast they have the friendliest staff around, they gave top quality personal service and made me feel totally at ease whilst there with my four childer for a family wedding. Top marks all round!!

Reviewed 13 April 2011

Ten Square is the perfect place to relax, lounge and wind down. You can really feel as if you have gotten away from all the tedious tasks imposed by daily living and yet when you step outside you are in the middle of the city, close to other places of entertainment, shops and restaurants. It reminds me of going on holiday and stumbling across a hidden gem that lures you in and never fails to delight. The hotel is very clean, the staff are marvellous and the breakfast has to be the most sumptuous available in any hotel. Full marks all around. This was my second stay at Ten Square and I will definately be looking forward to staying at Ten Square again.

Room Tip: Easy to find, located behind the City Hall.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We had our daughters wedding celebration in Ten Square. Johnny and the team looked after us with perfection. My daughter, son in law and all our guests had a wonderful day: food; servce; everything. .Big Thanks to Johnny, Lucy and the team who ensured that we didnt have a thing to do except enjoy ourselves and made everything run like clockwork. My husband and I stayed overnight afterwards along with the happy couple and many other friends and family. Rooms are impeccable - nothing to fault in even the slightest way. I couldnt speak highly enough of this hotel who have a very skilled staff team from the moment you arrive with Laura or Leeanne in reception to the restaurant and bar staff.especially David who was very helpful. A hotel I would have no hesitation to recommend.

Room Tip: Pure luxury and perfection - prime location
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Every detail was carried out to prefection. The staff and wedding co-ordinators made the day prefect and one to remember for a long time. They were attentive to everyone needs right into the wee small hours. Food great, rooms great,
Thank you Ten Square for making the day so perfect.

co.antrim
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Me and my wife stayed in this hotel sat 12th March 2011. We have stayed in it a couple of times before. We have stayed in most hotels in Belfast fitzwilliam etc. We were given a superior room free upgrade. The atmosphere in the bar was great big screen TV watching the rugby. Throughout the month of march they were even doing free movies. The staff are very friendly and the breakfasts are to die for . The food in the restaurant was mouthwatering.
It is a central hotel right in the heart of the city cant wait for our next stay.
Big thank you to all the staff see you soon.
Charlie Bev Howes

Room Tip: Dont go out for dinner the the steaks are brill !
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple