“i liked it so much I stayed a month !”
Review of Ten Square

Ten Square
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
UK
“i liked it so much I stayed a month !”
Reviewed 27 August 2008

While having to return to Northern Ireland recently to visit my sick mum I needed to stay in a hotel for the month. I initially booked the Hilton Belfast who were great but whose prices shot up after the July holiday fortnight. I then booked myself into Ten Square at a considerably lower rate after negotiating with the booking folks. I had an initial hiccup with my room wherein the air conditioning was not working and I had a very uncomfortable night. After raising this with the reception staff (thanks Sarah!) I was changed from there to another room. After this my experience of the hotel was top notch. The breakfast was certainly far superior to many I have had in hotels in both Belfast and around the world. The staff proved themselves to be very helpful through the whole duration of my stay and did as much as they could to help out during a particularly traumatic period. Though the hotel does not have leisure facilities included you can avail of a local gym with discounted rates. Room service was top notch - and much quicker than expected sometimes! If you want to find somewhere to eat or go out for the night ask Paul behind the bar where to go. The rooms themselves are of a high quality though may not fall into the high five star range - then again I was not in, nor did I pay for, a suite. Robes, towels and beds changed on a daily basis and my room was kept spotless by the housekeeping staff. I have since recommended the hotel to friends visiting Belfast and it has become one of their favourite hotels to stay. Location perfect for nights out in Belfast

• Liked — Friendliness of staff, quality of room
  • Disliked — No pool :o)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Armagh, Ireland
Reviewed 27 August 2008

i booked on the hotel website and got the internet special for £99 B&B from £170 for the same room normally. i was staying here to celebrate my first wedding anniversary and i couldnt have picked a better place. The Hotel, service room, food, bar, brekfast, atmosphere and location are faultless and i cannot say a bad word about this place and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Belfast.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
county antrim
Reviewed 11 August 2008

having heard some good reports i had wanted to stay in ten square for a long time before my husband treated me to a night in one of their more expensive rooms. while my expectations of chic and boutique were initially met in the reception area i found the room itself disappointing and not at all as i had hoped. as a boutique hotel i had imagined art and soft furnishings but instead the room was really quite bare with high ceilings and not quite enough furniture. the walls and curtains were an uninspired beige and the carpet had once been something similar. robes and slippers were in supply which is always good and the bathroom was very clean with some lovely aromotherapy associates toiletries. the location of this hotel is fantastic with the city right on the doorstep. on street parking was ok for the weekend although could be a real problem otherwise. overall the accomodation really did not live up to the price tag or reputation. breakfast is ok although i dont advise the eggs benedict which turned out to be bagels with bacon in disguise!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the decor and furnishings in the room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deesandfatcat
London
Reviewed 8 August 2008

I can not recommend this hotel. It was quite simply the worst customer service i have ever experienced.

From the receptionist who left me open-mouthed and mid-sentence when whilst i was checking in, as she answered the phone. No "excuse me" or "do you mind" and then had a 5 minute conversation, while i simply had to stand there and wait for her to finish. Her explanation; "its my job to answer the phone." Never mind about the customer infront of you!

To the hotel charging me £1.14 on my credit card to return my phone charger to me; yes my mistake i forgot it, but hardly a boutique, 4 * star attitude.

Loved Belfast and would go back, but certainly would not stay there again. Dreadful service.

• Liked — Outdoor terrace
  • Disliked — Dreadful customer service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank alexa01
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Ten Square boasts that it is a luxury hotel, but having stayed there on Saturday 26th July, the management need to take a serious look at the service provided.

We chose the £190 "Romance Package" and expectations were high, especially after opting for Ten Square over The Merchant.

The sprinkling of rose petals, the champagne and the aromatherapy gift set did little to mask the lack of luxury. Our room was full of damaged furniture, burnt lampshades and walls heavily marked with something? The shower and bath was lined with black mould. On one of the hottest days of the year, the air conditioning was broken!!

The manager was informed about the inadequacies and we were insulted by the offer of an electric fan, a drink on the house or £20 deduction on our bill. When we asked the manager to contact The Merchant, he almost collapsed and began to inform us that he knew, for a fact, that there were no rooms available. If only his clairvoyance had foreseen the the broken air conditioning!! After a lot of negotiating, we were offer a £60 deduction.

In conclusion - don't believe the blurb or the well out dated press quotes.

Ten Square is far from chic or luxurious and the cream has definitely turned sour.

“One of the chicest boutique hotels in Ireland”
Susan d'Arcy, Sunday Times

“ Ten Square is a model of luxurious living at the highest standards”
Mirror Newspaper

“Ten Square has established itself as the cream of Belfast hostelries – and with good reason”
GQ Magazine

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Poor value for money
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Polroger
N. Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Stayed in Ten Square for my 30th birthday and it was easily the best choice my husband could have made for Belfast. The room was beautiful, definitely luxurious and overlooked the city hall. Some people have complained about stains on the carpet etc but we never found any of that. In fact the room was exceptionally clean; no carpet stains or chipped furniture and everything worked fine.

A definitely plus was the lack of travelling noise in the hotel despite the city centre location. After a night out in town we never heard anything despite the hotel hosting a wedding and a full bar downstairs.

We found the service to be really great. As instructed by my husband there was champagne and flowers in the room upon arrival and we had no problems with receiving messages, arranging transport, dining arrangements, and checking in or out etc.

Probably the best part of the stay was the breakfast – my husband still raves about it! We’ve stayed in many hotels across the world but the quality of the food on offer and the service at breakfast was fantastic. It really added to the boutique feel of the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again and wouldn’t even consider staying anywhere else in the city centre.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple