“4 stars for the massive selection”
Review of COSMO Belfast

COSMO Belfast
Ranked #177 of 1,140 Restaurants in Belfast
Price range: US$10 - US$21
Cuisines: Italian, International
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

first of all this review lost a star because of the receptionist, when we arrived we where informed that there was a 30 minute wait, that was fine, because with it being a buffet i knew we would get to eat as soon as we where inside (and at any restaurant you wait 30 minutes to have the food cooked anyway... ) There was no seats in the waiting area and it was quite busy so I said ok put our names down and i will call back before 30 minutes as i wanted to go next door and grab a quick drink while i wait, that's when the receptionist informed me that she would call my name out in 10 minutes and if i wasnt there she would put me to the back of the list, this annoyed me slightly, because i didnt see the point of it?? She maby thought i would change my mind and go to another restaurant, But even if i did she could simply call the next person on the list and it wouldnt affect anyones waiting time (apart from making it shorter)
Once inside the waiter explained the layout and then asked for drinks before we even had the chance to look at the menu, this is something that needs addressed. The Food was quite impressive, Dont go there if you are a food snob and like ''fine dining'', This isnt the place for you. But the food is decent and there's a massive selection, Which i like, And you'll get to try plenty of things, but theres so much it will take a few visits to try everything!
A few things need addressed though, First of all the waiting area, need's more seat's or needs moved upstairs beside the bar area, (even though ive seen people complain about a 30 or 45 minute waiting time, I dont really consider this overly long, because our entire visit didnt take any longer than at other restaurants, if you want extremely fast food, then go to KFC...
some of the plates where dirty with grease and hadnt been washed properly, i had to shuffle through a few of them to get a clean one.
They could use a better selection of cutlery, some people on here complained about using the same knife and fork?? i wasnt bothered about this at all because any other night i eat my dinner with the same knife and fork.... but i suppose the choice to have a fresh knife and fork would keep the fussy people happy, But what they do need is the option of a desert spoon and knife, the spoon they supply is a little to big to fit into the little shot glass sized deserts, (i had to jam it right in there to get to the bottom of the desert :L )
The deserts are excellent though, While the food quality is about right for this price range, i would say the deserts are much better than what you would in a restaurant at this price.
We paid £13 each for the meal, so say it was £8 for the meal and £5 for desert, If you think about it, that is amazingly good value, I would be happy to pay the £13 and just have the deserts!
I hear the coffee is very good, Though i didnt try it, opting for a cocktail instead, Woowoo, Which was very nice.
Overall, i enjoyed it, a few thing's need improved as ive said, i would go back again, just for the selection of food, I have since heard they have a 1 star hygiene, i hope this can be improved, though i suspect part of the problem is the customers themselves, as some people cannot behave when out in large groups and you will have to worry about what way they have treated the food before you get to it! i think they should have the food in self serve portions eg small cups, like the way they serve the deserts would be a better idea.
all in all 4 stars, and i would recommend you visit cosmos. i will go back in a few few months and report back on any improvements if at all....

2  Thank Aaron E
Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Taps broke in washroom. There was a sign saying you can to leave to wash your hands in the shopping centre toilets which I'm sure people didn't and then probably touched the buffet food. Disgusting.

6  Thank Sonya G
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Went there as part of a family booking for a 21st birthday. This place is an experience in food. We were shown to our table and the self service process explained by very friendly and efficient staff. Starters, mains and desserts available with as much variety you can imagine ... European, grills, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Italian, Mexican .... It goes on. Fabulous seafood counter and sushi. All you can eat, just lift a new plate at the different food stations. For an extra £3 p.person, add a soft drink which you can keep refilling. 1 hour 45 mins is allocated for your dining experience and it's more than enough time. This place is well worth the experience in gastronomy. Better to book but don't be late. Will def return.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have been to Cosmo a couple of times with both my family and my boyfriend.

It's a handy place to get to, especially if you are close to the city centre and are looking for a wide range of food choices.

The food is fresh and it's all you can eat, which makes it perfect for a yummy outing. It's great for get togethers as well, you can have a great laugh and the atmosphere is great.

The desert and the pizza are yummy, and it's something different compared to the many 'all you can eat' Chinese buffets.

1  Thank Roxanne E
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I was in cosmo last week and was a bit weiry of 'all you can eat'..I thought the food would have been cheap and nasty but I was wrong. There is a host of different foods from different countries throughout the world. I stuck with the Indian which was excellent. Very clean restaurant with politeful staff...excellent value for the whole family. I would advise to book as you could be waiting a long time for a table

1  Thank michaeld55