“If You Miss This Tour, You Have Missed Out”

DC Tours - A History of Terror
Belfast Troubles Historical Walking Tour
Ranked #6 of 112 Tours in Belfast
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A History of Terror is the No.1 walking tour in Belfast. The 2 hour tour covers 2 miles and visits 8 sites in Belfast city centre where some of the most historically important incidents of the conflict known as 'the Troubles' took place. You will learn about the Troubles, discover the stories of the people involved, the reasons why the conflict started, how the peace process took shape and the journey to the active, vibrant city you see today. It is the only Conflict & Reconciliation Tour to have been awarded an 'Excellent' rating by the Northern Irish Tourist Board and has been named 'Belfast Tour of the Year' for 2017 by the Luxury Travel Guide. Led by guides who are natives of Belfast and Conflict Historians, the tour is unbiased, educational and factual and has been described as 'Great value and a fantastic experience'. From January 2017 the tour is available every day, but must be booked in advance. It normally runs in the mornings from Sunday to Friday, and on Saturday afternoons. Please email us to confirm times and availability or book online on our website.
Perth, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“If You Miss This Tour, You Have Missed Out”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Can't thank Mark enough for the tour that he provided us on 20/03. We turned up without a booking, and were blessed to be provided an individual tour. The walking tour was very informative. It makes a big difference standing in the locations of actual events from The Troubles, as opposed to hearing or reading about them. Mark was extremely knowledgeable and respectful. He provided unbiased and balanced representation of the events and Belfast's history. The walking tour was enhanced by images Mark provided on an ipad, which demonstrated "before" photos. Mark provided a very persoanlised experience and we could ask any questions - and he answered them thoroughly. It is an absolute steal at this price - if you miss this tour, you have missed out. We wholeheartedly, unreservedly recommend this tour to anyone.

Visited March 2014
Mark C, Owner at DC Tours - A History of Terror, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Hi Princess Mishka,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your excellent review. I had a great time taking you guys on the tour and showing you the city, I'm just sorry the weather wasn't so great! I'm glad you enjoyed it all so much.

Surrey, UK
“Excellent-do it!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I turned up on a rainy Sunday morning in March (convinced by the good tripadvisor reviews!) Unfortunately nobody else turned up. I was a little apprehensive being a lone female traveller (aged 27!)
The tour was fantastic-best thing I did in Belfast and in my top 3 experiences in Ireland. Incredible history/knowledge/stories. It made me really want to read up more on the history of the events. A really interesting experience and the tour guide is clearly incredibly committed to his job (still making it just as interesting for one person!) and to Belfast. I did a couple of historical events whilst in Ireland (Museums/visiting the prisons etc) and this was by far the most interesting-by a mile!
THANKS!!!

Visited March 2014
Mark C, Owner at DC Tours - A History of Terror, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Hi Ruth,
It was great to meet you last week - sorry about the rain! And thanks for rating the tour so highly, it really means a huge amount to us!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Most Important Tour You WIll Ever Take”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I recently returned from a multi-week trip across Europe, and this was honestly the single best activity I participated in the entire time. These guys do not get any support from the tourism board in Belfast because their focus is admittedly a little dark (apparently the tourism board would rather Belfast be know for the Titanic, because there's nothing dark about that!), even though the theme of the tour is reconciliation and education. I am a student of counterterrorism, and so came to Belfast to learn more about the human side of the conflict known as "The Troubles." I wouldn't have known DC Tours existed if it weren't for a small advertisement in a map I picked up by chance at the main rail station. But I am sure glad I did because I got a significantly better deal than I could have anticipated! The nearly 2 hour walking tour through Belfast highlighted sites of historical and cultural significance, for example, noting the locations where a bombing had taken place and how the whole community has fundamentally changed in the years since. Not only is the tour incredibly educational, but it is fair, balanced, and apolitical. They're not interested in convincing you one side or the other was right -- they're interested in educating you on the facts and realities of The Troubles, how it has shaped cultural/religious/political landscape of Belfast as we know it today, and lastly to promote reconciliation through a mutual and thorough understanding of the human costs of war. And to that effect, it is the single most important tour you will ever take because it is the only tour that can offer you a true understanding of a people, a city, and a country that are still coping with the realities of a conflict that ended only a short 16 years ago.

Visited February 2014
Mark C, Owner at DC Tours - A History of Terror, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hi Christopher,
Your review means a huge amount to us, thank you. As you know, we try to just present the facts of the conflict, and it is then for our guests to take away and process that information as they see fit. It's fantastic for us when people 'get' what we are trying to do. It was a genuine pleasure to take you guys on the tour and for you to say it was the nest part of your trip is amazing. Good luck with your studies!
Niagara Falls, New York
“Absolutely the most engaging and riveting 3 hours of my trip to Belfast: this tour is a can't miss”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I recently took the Tour on a rainy Tuesday in February: I was the only patron and mark made the tour very personalized and the engaging story of the troubles within Belfast was amazing. Mark was extremely professional and knowledgable and our dialogue and discussion regarding the troubles was enhanced by using culturally relevant examples from my countries history (I am an American); the tour provides a great deal of insight into the conflict and marks iPad with pictures from the locations during the troubles was an excellent enhancement. I will be recommending this tour to my professional colleagues and my friend as this truly is the can't miss tour in Belfast.

Visited February 2014
Mark C, Owner at DC Tours - A History of Terror, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Hi Matt,
Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. I've got to admit to being a bit nervous when you told me you were a World History teacher, and I realised how much you knew about conflict zones around the world! And that's why your review means so much Matt, not only was it a pleasure to show you around our city, but it's brilliant to hear how much you enjoyed it and how highly you rate it!
Thanks again,
London, United Kingdom
“Not to be missed.”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Informative. Fascinating. Balanced. Eye opening. Excellent tour guide. Best tenner spent in Belfast,

Visited February 2014
Mark C, Owner at DC Tours - A History of Terror, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Hi Georgina,
Many thanks for leaving your review of the tour, it's really appreciated! Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.