“A Surprise - Decidedly Delicious Fish and Chips and Very Helpful Staff”
Review of The Bridge House

The Bridge House
Ranked #302 of 1,164 Restaurants in Belfast
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had just flown in from the U.S., arrived in Dublin, rented a car, had many scary moments driving on the "wrong side", and arrived in Belfast. It was around 7 by the time we had checked into our hotel and needed dinner somewhere close - we were exhausted.

We ended up at the Bridge House. The places was packed (always a good sign), but we were able to find a table (although had to work a bit to find two chairs for it!).
Plastic covered menus always give me pause, but actually this was the perfect first dinner on our trip to Northern Ireland. My husband discussed beer, and the staff person really helped us out. She ran out of what was the "perfect" dark beer for me, so gave us a pint, plus two other beers. We decided to try something local. It was already late, and they had run out of the mixed grill (and the apple crumble). If you are flexible, this is not a problem.

I ordered the haddock and chips, and my husband ordered the sausages and champ (which is mashed potatoes and scallions). The sausages are relatively typical of what we have had since, and the mashed potatoes were interesting. All together fun and "Irish". My haddock was HUGE - I do mean huge. The chips were crispy french fried potatoes. And while I worried that the fish looked overcooked, the batter was crispy, not greasy, and the fish perfectly cooked. It came with pea mash - fascinating stuff. Not exactly my favorite thing to eat, but it certainly was Irish. I liked my beer, so the wait staff really was quite good at helping find what you want (although I cannot drink a whole pint). All together, a lovely dinner in a casual atmosphere, I highly recommend it if you are looking for a low key meal, particularly if you are staying at the Radisson Blu at the Gasworks.

Laura D, Manager at The Bridge House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi there,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us recently. We appreciate you taking the time out of what seems like a very busy trip to give us a review. I hope the rest of the trip wasn't so stressful!

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Always enjoy Wetherspoons on any trip to Belfast but disappointed to see that the outdoor seating has been removed
Reasons why???
Note that the outdoor space in Carrickfergus is also closed off.
Food as good as ever but wil look elsewhere for outdoor seating i

Hi there,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your food on your visit with us. Unfortunately we have had to remove external furniture due to licensing issues, but we hope to have a beer garden at the rear of the pub in the future. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had a nice early dinner here whilst in Belfast. Quinoa salad with haloumi and ham, chips and eggs with drinks was under £20. Service was quick and friendly

Laura D, Manager at The Bridge House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your kind words, it's great to receive such positive feedback! We always take it on board to maintain our level of service, and appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments. Hopefully it won't be too long till you visit with us again!

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 May 2018

Situated a short 5 minute walk from the ETAP hotel; or 5 - 10 minute walk from the bus station, The Bridge House is an unexpected gem for fine Irish food.

The Bridge House itself is actually part of the Wetherspoon chain of pubs, but don't let that stop you from going in.

Once inside, visitors have a wide array of different food to choose from.

For those visiting Belfast from abroad, you can choose breakfast options such as Ulster Fry (sausage, bacon, beans, fried egg, soda bread and potato bread) or Breakfast Soda (fried egg, sausage and bacon on 2 pieces of soda bread). Other meal options include Irish beef lasagne.

For those whom visit for breakfast, any tea, coffee etc ordered comes with free refills.

Visitors can either order by going up to the bar, ordering and giving the staff the table number or, you can order through the app.

We visited quite a few times for breakfast. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The food was always hot and tasty. We could not fault it.

The same comments above applied to the dinner options.

For a fantastic meal at reasonable prices, visit The Bridge House!

Who needs advertisement with you on the scene!! What a fabulous review!
It's great to hear that the staff are doing such a good job! As a company we always strive to serve the best produce at competitive prices using excellent service, and I'm glad that you found this to be the case.

Hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Belfast!!

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

Ate here recently. Food wasn't grea t - mine was even hot. Chicken strips bland and a handful of chips. The annoying thing for us was that you had to put in your food order at the bar. Definitely wouldn't be returning for food.

Hi there,

Sorry you were disappointed with your visit on this occasion. Ordering food at the bar has always been our process, and it usually works for us, but if you have a smartphone the Wetherspoon app is great! Its free to download, and it means you get table service essentially, but you control what order goes to the kitchen! I hope you give us another chance to show you that we can get it right :)