“La vrai chose!”

Ranked #56 of 1,097 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: La Bastille Restaurant boasts true, chic, parisienne style and class for Northern IrelandAuthentic, traditional french cuisine with a modern twist in an intimate, romantic setting.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've eaten here a number of times and have almost always been impressed. The restaurant has definitely gone through a number of profound changes in the last few years and has recently come on a storm.

It has always, however, been a genuinely French institution. The staff can occasionally be a little off the ball and service is often at a leisurely pace, however the manager and maitre d' are always very friendly and love to talk about the food and wine and make great company on a quiet night.

The food is classic French cuisine with a few interesting modern touches. Home made charcutrie, bavette (almost impossible to find in the UK), foie gras poele, excellent fish, most tastes are catered for. I believe it is impossible to get a badly cooked piece of meat or fish in this restaurant, and use of techniques such as sous vide with, for example, classic cuts of venison yield some incredible results.

The wine list is probably the best I have come across in Northern Ireland, as a lover of French wines, and represents an excellent and varied selection with some real gems at all prices. The monthly 'love food love wine' fixed menu really is a great way to appreciate some interesting food and wine pairings.

In short, this is a restaurant for a long, leisurely evening meal with plenty of wine but it's not going to be to everyone's taste. That being said, I would still strongly recommend it!

2  Thank GHHWAB

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I dined at La Bastille in May, 2014. We had made a reservation, but when we arrived, it appeared that we didn't need one! We were promptly seated and began looking over the menu.

We decided to have the "two can dine for 40 pounds" menu. For appetizers, I had the french onion soup and my DH had the fish cake. Both were quite tasty. For dinner, I went with the boeuf bourguignon with mashed potatoes and my husband had a pork medallion with potatoes. We both agreed the the boeuf bourguignon was superior!

For dessert, I had a pear tart that was fabulous and my husband had the creme brulee which was to die for!

We both really enjoyed our meals and the experience at the restaurant. The service was also very good. I'd highly recommend this place!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Really tasty French cuisine with great service. Great atmosphere and decor. Have been twice now and will be back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I bought a living social deal and took treated a friend to dinner, what an embarrassment!!

The standard of food was very poor and we even had to send some dishes back.

Communication seemed to be a big problem when it came to staff understanding our complaint.

The waiting staff are also very inexperienced in table service.

I was very disappointed and even with my living social deal this was not value for money.

3  Thank Mccallums4
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Who could imagine that French food, outside of France, could taste so good. Even the food from the kids menu was better than A La Carte I've had in some of the more expensive restaurants in the area. Service was excellent and swift - house red is one of the best I've had. I was not even finished with my meal when I had decided to come back as soon as possible...... 5 stars from me!