“Dismal Experience”

Ranked #191 of 1,097 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: The Fountain Tavern,is a traditional establishment serving good quality locally sourced foods at reasonable prices. Portions are generous and the service is attentative and friendly.
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I dropped into the Fountain Tavern as we were absorbing and embracing Belfast on foot and decided to get a quick bite and pints in between our strides. The service was...uhm...well...ok I guess. Had to approach the bartender for the menu....then again to order our pints....then again to order our food....and each time he was busy talking with the customers at the bar. The atmosphere wasn't there for us. It wasn't a place that exude warmth or friendly hospitality.

Food was pretty sad. We quickly ate and flushed it down with our pints as the next table was starting to get loud and foul mouthed.

I would give this place a miss unless you are really, really hungry and thirsty....then again to each his own eh!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We had a lunch in the Public bar of this town centre tavern and found it a really enjoyable experience.
The food was really good and appeared quickly, the barman was really friendly and accommodating and made us feel really welcome and the Guiness was served cold with a head that stayed till the last as the "black stuff" should.
This tavern is more traditional than contemporary with a good fire and well appointed bar, for us this is what we want.. no loud music, no rocket(who the hell turned lettuce into rocket anyway), good traditional hospitality and a good pint no more, no less.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

A nice cosy restaurant upstairs ,waitress was a very pleasant person friendly and could not do enough ,I had a chowder and she explained that it being made fresh ,would take a wee while.Food was excellent and lovely and warm,not expensive and a pint was only three quid,if you are in belfast try this bar you will not regret your experience

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Every year for the last 4 years my mum,sisters and myself make a trip to Belfast to do our Christmas shopping followed by lunch in the Fountain tavern,normally a very pleasant experience,sadly not this time!
Firstly a drink was served which was off,returned twice.4 glasses brought to our table were filled with ice minus the alcohol which they forgot to put in.I was handed a piping hot plate with no warning which I had to drop onto the table,when I complained I got a snotty retort from the waitress.onion rings were ordered which also contained bits of chicken!finally some of the food was cold and had to be returned.I have never complained about poor food or service before but I feel so strongly about the diabolical overall service at the Fountain Tavern I felt compelled to put it on trip advisor .I did email the Fountain tavern but to date have not had a reply,funny that!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Lunch on a wet day and proved to be a good choice. Specials board offered plenty of choice.
Service fast and efficient.
Grey mullet with red Thai curry and a baked potato.
Very nice though the potato wasn't fresh but hey I was hungry . Burger and chips safe and sound.
Excellent value.