“Simple and tasty”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Simple and tasty”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Very good food, the basic Italian menu done well. The Italian tapas was a little dull but the food improved with the courses. Could have done with more vegetables, I'm never a fan of charging more for veg. But good atmosphere and extremely good puddings.

“Overpriced, Leveraging the Deane's Brand”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I had a meal, with two friends, in Deane and Decano on Friday. We were disappointed to say the least. We found the food and the drinks overpriced and the service underwhelming.

Given the prominent advertisements on the specials board for 'Prosecco Fridays’ we ordered a second bottle of Prosecco after we had finished our first. We were very surprised to see that only the first bottle of Prosecco was on offer at the advertised £19.50. We felt this was very misleading and were very disappointed to see that our second bottle of Prosecco wasn’t at the advertised rate of £19.50, but at a higher rate of £25.00.

We would be more than happy to pay £25.00 for a bottle of Prosecco and, really, £5.50 isn’t a great deal, but this felt like very misleading advertising and a little underhand.

Of more concern was the slowness of the service. Whilst all of the waiting staff were very courteous and polite, and a credit to Deane’s, there simply weren’t enough of them to really pay attention to the diners. An attentive waiter or waitress always keeps an eye on the tables they are serving, checking in from time to time, ensuring their guests are happy. Not so here.

On many occasions we tried to discretely catch someone’s eye to see if we could order more drinks and, I’m afraid, towards the end ended up waving our arms shamelessly in the air in an effort to be spotted. This was very disappointing and was made only worse when we saw that a 10% tip - ~£20 - was automatically added to our bill.

As someone who has spent a past life working as a waiter I know how important tips are and I always tip generously. A tip must be earned, however.

If you're visiting Belfast, eat out in town, in the Cathedral Quarter or near the City Hall. The centre of Belfast is thriving and there is a hunger (pardon the pun) in the city to deliver wonderful experiences to visitors and locals alike. Deane and Decano feels like one more cog in a rapidly growing Deane's empire which seems geared more towards making money than delighting customers.

2 Thank Christopher M
“Dinner at Deane & Decano”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I had the polenta and beef for main and also the polenta and chirizo as the starter. I feel it was overpriced for what was provided as polenta is a very cheap porridge that is served in spain, Mexico and in the USA. It reminded me of Cream of Wheat or grits.

My wife had 2 glasses of wine at £11.00. a real rip-off.

She also had a beet and goats cheese salad at £7.50 as a starter.

I was surprised at the cost of £2.00 for one glass of Sprite, when a can of sprite costs £0.30 and the mixed sprite from Coca Cola cost even less.

It was not value for money but it was very busy. As an American, who has lived overseas for over 30 years and traveled all over the world, I see that people think they can use a name and overcharge based on that.

Then you have the nerve to place a 10% service charge on the bill. In the USA, the service charge is normally added to the food, not the entire bill.

it was not value for money.

6 Thank Reggie C
Belfast, United Kingdom
“The Scottsdale Cowboy”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

It's been a year since we were last in Dean's Lisburn Road Eatery and it has under gone a transformation - the food, atmosphere, drinks everything has changed for the better.
We were initially disappointed by our server who said there was no alternative table to the high top that we were offered.....however the manageress saw that we were uncomfortable with our table and within a few minutes she had arranged another table for us.
Our server was not a happy person but again the manageress came to her rescue and presented the friendly and understanding face that was needed in order that we would enjoy our night out.
The food was outstanding - Napoli sausage, tomato bruschetta and two calamari starters were all perfect, followed by three prawn risotto and a goat's cheese rigatoni all of which were well cooked and presented - all in all a great spot to enjoy, well cooked food in a relaxed atmosphere, a Lisburn Road hotspot!!!!!

3 Thank IanFrazer12
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“Nothing but a name”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This place was so lacklustre I can barely muster the energy to describe it. Had the goat's cheese rigatoni and my friend opted for beef in a soupy polenta. My pasta sauce was a bit on the sickening side and came with a paltry portion of what were described as "spring vegetables" but turned out to be a few miserable cubes of carrots and a lump of red onion that hadn't even been chopped. The decor and wine were alright, the service not particularly enthusiastic - but I'd be the same if I were working in such an establishment. It's obviously living off the "Deane's" reputation at the moment, but needs to crank it up a few notches if it's to survive on the Lisburn Road.

• Visited April 2014